Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting US Maps on to GPS With Existing Europe Maps

• 19-09-2008 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I'm pretty new to this whole GPS / SatNav lark so I hope somebody can help me with this...

If I have a random, not top brand-name, GPS device such as the one going on sale in Aldi next week

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_7020.htm

that has NavTeq software and 2GB internal memory and European and GB / Ireland maps pre-loaded. If I'm travelling to the US and want to bring the GPS with me - how can I load up US maps? Do I need to purchase them or can they be downloaded for free (says he optimistically)? Is it difficult to do technically? Also - could memory be a problem? I don't think this device has an SD slot so would I be better buying a device with an SD slot and consequently expandable memory?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

First of all you should avoid Aldi, Lidl and 'no brand' models at all costs because you will probably never be able to update the maps or add more maps.

Stick with Garmin or Tom Tom and you'll be good for several years usage with the option to update the maps every so often - for a fee of course.

In the case of adding maps, you're much better off buying all of the maps that you think you'll need at the time of purchase as the cost of adding the maps afterwards will be much higher than the extra that you'd pay to include the maps with the original unit.

I can only talk about Garmin in this regard, their models tend to have very little spare memory so any additional maps need to be purchased on SD cards which are available from the same mail order sources that sell the base units.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's ceratinly possible with Garmin's as long as you have a big enough memory card in the unit. Once you've got whatever maps you want installed in MapSource you just select all the areas that you need and it installed them all to your device, I currently have at least 8 different sets of maps installed on mine for different areas I've been recently, including free non-Garmin ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have a Garmin 250 Nuvi. I bought map software (on an SD card) for the US off ebay, went to California, plugged it in and it worked brilliantly.

Significantly eased the task of driving over there, we didn't even need a map . Theres actually a huge amount of information in the software such as preloaded locations for all the hotels we used, resturaunts, attractions and gas stations also. Super piece of kit. And as it has the full europe maps too my Da is using it in France this week.

Advertisement