Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Irish Taxi Drivers

Options
  • 19-09-2008 2:18pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before. I just heard on the wireless, some afternoon talk show, that Irish taxi drivers have started sporting bumper stickers reading “100% Irish” obviously indicating that the driver is Irish as opposed to a foreign national and some people are up in arms saying it’s going to cause discrimination..

What do you guys think of this? One caller on the show made an interesting point saying that we can go into a supermarket and pick a food product with Guaranteed Irish on the label, so is this discrimination against foreign food producers??, i.e. in the same vein we the public should be able to choose guaranteed Irish service providers if we want..

What would be your preference? 125 votes

Irish driver
    0% 0 votes
    Fordiners all the way
    88% 110 votes
    Couldn't give a monkeys
    12% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No dogs or naggers allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Drivers in Galway City earlier this year had "This driver is local" plastered down the full side of the car and caused quite a stir!!!
    They said it was so local people knew that they would know the areas better etc...
    I have no issue with people doing this. Its always better to have a driver who actually knows where they are going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Freedom of choice, why not.

If I get a taxi I want to know that I can guarantee to be brought home in a mid-nineties smelly Merc with the driver complaining about "Dose Fordiners" and telling me about his failed marriage.

You just don't get that sort of service from Mikhail or Pavel. They're too cheery and happy to have a fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

I think it's a very good idea to be completely honest.

I think the foreign drivers will simply get their own 100% Irish stickers. What would you say if you got into one of these cabs??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A taxi driver I know is half chinese but he's as dublin as coddle, he could do with one of these signs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

xzanti wrote: »
    One caller on the show made an interesting point saying that we can go into a supermarket and pick a food product with Guaranteed Irish on the label, so is this discrimination against foreign food producers??

She obviously hasn't shopped in a number of years so... The "Guaranteed Irish Program was outlawed by Brussels a number of years ago !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Wow, manna from heaven. I know which taxis i wont be getting into. No more listeing to these clowns 'expert' opinions on immigration/the economy/politics/lisbon/etc.

You KNOW the type of clown who would put 100% Irish on his cab is exactly the same guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I'd much prefer a sticker that said "Guaranteed to get you home, without stealing your belongings".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The majority of taxi's now seem to have sat nav.

As such i have started to prefer foreign taxi drivers as they don't insist on telling me about their day, their kids, what has recently pissed them off and how Irish taxi drivers are ruining it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I dont see a problem with it, Like the guy on the radio said we have Irish products with labels.. Why not taxi's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

It's an absofcukinloutely brilliant idea! Now I can tell which is the one driven by the opinionated racist overcharging prick, and can go with the quiet hardworking foreigner who has no interest in talking to me! Well done Irish taxi drivers, I finally have something to commend you about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Was in a taxi with a french driver last night, he didn't charge us while we loaded a **** load of gear into the car (about 20 mins), we had a great laugh over the show 'Ello Ello' and wierdest thing was he spoke pretty decent irish, better then most of my mates infact!

Twas a good laugh, MUCH better then the irish driver with his small talk about the weather and hasn't a ****in clue where anything is outside of the city center.

And scene ///

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Well based on recent threads on here, how about "100% Eastern European female taxi driver" bumper sticker? ;)

Female driver? Pffffft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Could they not get a "This Driver Uses Deodorant" sticker. That would get them more trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

The other day I got a lift from the train Station to my house. Only about a 20 minute walk but it was lashing.

Irish guy charged me 4.50
    Foreign guy charged me 8 euro and didnt turn on the meter
    Feck that *<<only gets irish drivers*

LeahBaby wrote: »
    The other day I got a lift from the train Station to my house. Only about a 20 minute walk but it was lashing.

Irish guy charged me 4.50
    Foreign guy charged me 8 euro and didnt turn on the meter
    Feck that *<<only gets irish drivers*

In fairness that's your own fault for not checking the meter was on! I would not have let him drive without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

In fairness that's your own fault for not checking the meter was on! I would not have let him drive without it!

Too shy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Dont matter two ***** to me but i know for a fact that the wife wont get into a taxi if there is a black guy driving it. Go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Brilliant idea - Irish men all the way
    Least the local guy knows where he is going and can talk

Every foreign taxi driver Ive gotten was really rude and didnt have a clue where the place was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

*hugs* for local taxi drivers, *shrugs* for dem fordin ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

I blame the blacks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

LouOB wrote: »
    Brilliant idea - Irish men all the way
    Least the local guy knows where he is going and can talk

Every foreign taxi driver Ive gotten was really rude and didnt have a clue where the place was

Does Cavan count as foreign if you're in Dublin?

Any chance of a poll? curious what the population thinks about foriegn vs irish drivers...

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Too shy :(

Fair enough, but you need to get tougher, at the very least if he doesn't switch the meter on you should ask him what the cost will be. On further reflection if the meter is not on he might not be legit, and therefore may not be safe, for your sake check in future, I am sure you would rather be embarressed than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Advertising something along the lines of 'driver has white skin' would be out of order.

But 'driver is local' is fair enough. All businesses should be allowed to shout their competitive advantages from the rooftops in a free market economy.

There is no enshrinement of special rights for 'foreigners' in our law, and rightly so.

How much business would I as a turnip-headed Paddy get in Sofia/Paris/Lagos/Krakow as a cabbie compared to local cabbies?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

How do I add a poll? I've done it before but I can't remember how now.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

topper75 wrote: »
    Advertising something along the lines of 'driver has white skin' would be out of order.

But 'driver is local' is fair enough. All businesses should be allowed to shout their competitive advantages from the rooftops in a free market economy.

There is no enshrinement of special rights for 'foreigners' in our law, and rightly so.

How much business would I as a turnip-headed Paddy get in Sofia/Paris/Lagos/Krakow as a cabbie compared to local cabbies?

Yeah never thought of it like that. Fair point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Does Cavan count as foreign if you're in Dublin?

Everything outside Dublin is foreign to me
    Even the language:P

Advertisement