Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Irish Taxi Drivers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Poll added..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well my passport says I'm Irish, my car reg. plate say's its an Irish car and its registered in Dublin. On the left sleeve of my uniform I've an Irish flag, even when I serve under a UN flag.

I wear Irish rugby tops when we play Rugby and Irish soccer tops when we play soccer, I train Judo with the Irish judo masters team.

And on Paddy's day I wear the shamrock.

To top it all off I've got red hair and was christened a catholic.

I guess that makes me, and a lot of other's the most racist shower of fvckwits out there!.

As regards to taxi's and foreign driver's, give me an Irish driver any day of the week. Someone to have the craic with, no speakh da pidgeon english, sh*t talk about things common to us both and if I'm in company or have to spend time on the phone I don't spend the journey interupting those conversations to give directions for each and every turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dragan wrote: »

As such i have started to prefer foreign taxi drivers as they don't insist on telling me about their day, their kids, what has recently pissed them off and how Irish taxi drivers are ruining it for them.

I'm surprised at you!.

Your working door's long enough now to have been told a million times (by visiting tourists) how friends Irish doorstaff are compared to other nationalities, same goes for taxi driver's, shop assistants (when you can find thegood old fashioned Irish woman now), bar staff etc.. We're reknowned for our friendliness and charactor, having a chat and sh*t talking about bollox is what each and everyone of us do best - for crying out loud isn't that what we spend 90% of our time on boards doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

xzanti wrote: »
    “100% Irish”

The car Irish too is it?

I'd prefere a driver who actually knew where they were going tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

LeahBaby wrote: »
    The other day I got a lift from the train Station to my house. Only about a 20 minute walk but it was lashing.

Irish guy charged me 4.50
    Foreign guy charged me 8 euro and didnt turn on the meter
    Feck that *<<only gets irish drivers*

why did you take two taxis home from the station?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I don't care where the taxi driver is from.

I don't care about the stickers either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I prefer a driver who didn't talk crap to me and by crap i mean complaining about his ex girlfriend texting him, foreign taxi drivers and the government. Infact don't talk to me.

If i'm getting a taxi i'm either one of the following:

a) Hungover
    b) Sick (real illness not from booze :D )
    c) tired and need to get home quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Well ive honestly come across loads of dickhe*d foreign taxi drivers myself and loads of dickhe*d Irish ones. Thats life aint it. Pr*cks everywhere you go. I will say this, when i get in a taxi it bugs the hell otta me when the driver keeps asking for directions...FFS a sat-nav is only what 200 bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

There seems to be as much generalistion about racist-taxi driver-divorcees in this thread as there is made about foreigners by some Irish people.

Perhaps a bit of over-correction by the PC crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Be they foreign or be they Irish, they're still taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It's an absofcukinloutely brilliant idea! Now I can tell which is the one driven by the opinionated racist overcharging prick, and can go with the quiet hardworking foreigner who has no interest in talking to me! Well done Irish taxi drivers, I finally have something to commend you about!
    Took the words right out of my keyboard. I'll take a genuine foreign driver over a moany Irish right wing bigot any day. I always try not to generalise but I make an exception with taxi drivers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I just heard on the wireless, some afternoon talk show, that Irish taxi drivers have started sporting bumper stickers reading “100% Irish” .

I want to get a sticker reading: 100% striking, moaning, over-charging, premiership-loving, talkative cnuts.

Might need a bigger bumper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

LeahBaby wrote: »
    The other day I got a lift from the train Station to my house. Only about a 20 minute walk but it was lashing.

Irish guy charged me 4.50
    Foreign guy charged me 8 euro and didnt turn on the meter
    Feck that *<<only gets irish drivers*

You must remember that space and time are relative concepts, and the absolute journey time from the train station to your house must be taken in context of large bodies of mass, electomagnetic fields and how close to the speed of light the environment is moving at.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

once they know where they're going, it's all the same to me. irish drivers do have a tendency to spout off all sorts of crap you don't wanna hear about politics, foreigners, etc. this is annoying specially when they don't get the hint that you're not there for a chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There seems to be a lot of prejudice here. Against Irish taxi drivers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I dont care who drives me.
    What i do care about is that i dont end up in some piece of jap crap from '94 (the car that is, not the driver)
    Always feel ripped off when the fare is more than what the car is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

as long as I get to where I'm going I could not give a [EMAIL="f@ck"]f@ck[/EMAIL]. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

LouOB wrote: »
    Brilliant idea - Irish men all the way
    Least the local guy knows where he is going and can talk

Every foreign taxi driver Ive gotten was really rude and didnt have a clue where the place was

Only drivers I've ever had who didn't know where they were going were Irish. Got a guy in fairview once, didn't know where mount street was. Had difficulty with anything south of Trinity.
    And another guy driving us to a restaurant who didn't have a clue where he was going, despite being clearly given the address. Ended up having to ring them for directions and talk him there. And he still charged full whack on the meter. If he'd just said up front he didn't have a clue, there were plenty more taxis at the rank.

Forget €200 on a satnav - A street atlas of Dublin only costs about €12. Any taxi driver in Dublin, regardless of nationality, should have at least that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

"100% Irish Driver" - Not quite racist, but close.
    If I was getting a taxi, in Dublin. A corkman would probably have as much chance of getting lost as a foreigner.

"Local Driver" - Perfectly fine.
    It's a big advantage, if they're local ,they probably know the area well.

"English Speaking driver" - Perfectly fine
    You need them to understand you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Moron drivers advertising themselves. I am all for it. Easier to avoid the whining bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

Oh no the poll results are going for the immigrants, guess the p.c crowd have arrived en masse. Ask most irish people and i bet over 85% would go for irish drivers. Suport your own people espically with a recession coming not these immigrants who will either over charge you or cant speak english. If i ever see a non irish taxi driver first in line in the taxi rank i skip him and so on until i find a irish taxi driver, once a non national driver followed me and said i cant do that, well i said ill do what i want and ill support my fellow countryman over you anytime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you're so brave, facing up to the PC-elite with your brand new just registered account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Oh no the poll results are going for the immigrants, guess the p.c crowd have arrived en masse. Ask most irish people and i bet over 85% would go for irish drivers. Suport your own people espically with a recession coming not these immigrants who will either over charge you or cant speak english. If i ever see a non irish taxi driver first in line in the taxi rank i skip him and so on until i find a irish taxi driver, once a non national driver followed me and said i cant do that, well i said ill do what i want and ill support my fellow countryman over you anytime.

Don't forget to take off your hood when you go to bed!

I don't give a monkey's where the driver if from as long as they are a good taxi driver.

Instead of putting up "100% Irish" sticekr, why can't they put up some electronic display giving their rating (after each fare, the custmer would give the taxi a rating out of 10 and the average for the past 6 months is displayed on this device). Now that would be far more informative.

In dublin, I'm just as likely to get a Dub tax driver who says "sorry, don't know anything south of the liffey" as I am to get a foreign taxi driver who doesn't know where he's going. The only difference is that the foreign taxi driver is more likley ot have satnav..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

i was a long time browser first time poster, but just had to post on tis subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mairt wrote: »
    my car reg. plate say's its an Irish car

****ing hell never knew we made cars in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Considering the standards of Irish taxis are poor, if I have to skip the first 4 taxis in the line to get a decent car I will, and I don't care what the first four irish drivers say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I live in the middle of feckin nowhere, so as long as the taxi driver has good english, it wont matter too much if he can just go where i tell him. id be more likely to go with a local fella coz hed have a better idea of where hes going at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Sorry if this has been done before. I just heard on the wireless, some afternoon talk show, that Irish taxi drivers have started sporting bumper stickers reading “100% Irish” obviously indicating that the driver is Irish as opposed to a foreign national and some people are up in arms saying it’s going to cause discrimination..

What do you guys think of this? One caller on the show made an interesting point saying that we can go into a supermarket and pick a food product with Guaranteed Irish on the label, so is this discrimination against foreign food producers??, i.e. in the same vein we the public should be able to choose guaranteed Irish service providers if we want..

I got a taxi at the top of the queue at Connolly a few weeks ago. I don't have a problem with wherever somebody is from or their race but

a) the cab stank
    b) he tried to take me on a route i knew would cost more
    c) he then tried to justify it by suggesting he knew the roads better (I've been living in Dublin for 14 years, and am from Ireland)
    d) he suggested i tip him repeatedly and gave the example for most of the route that people know that a trip costs for example €15, that i pay what i normally pay and he can keep the change "and everybody is happy".

At no point was he agressive, but it said a lot about being passive-aggressive. next time, it's 100% Irish for me. The last African cab driver in Galway from Eyre Square tried to pull the same **** - although just the route, when i told him exactly which roads to take, so I actually had to say as he was indicating the opposite direction, to "not **** with me and take a right mate".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I'd make it my business to avoide a taxi that had one of those stickers.

As for the 100% Irish food stickers, it's not the same. If you choose to pay for Irish goods your supporting Irish business, whether the driver is African or Irish he/she is paying tax in Ireland, buying petrol/goods in Ireland etc. so the Irish economy is benefiting regardless of the nationality of the driver.

(Waits for someone to say, "But there sending all their wages over to their famblies in [insert country])

Advertisement