Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre Internet Provider

Options
  • 19-09-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I have just moved here for work and got an apartment near the river.

Can anyone fill me in on the best interent provider options going.

Tried the SmartTelecom route but they are saying it will take a month to process my order :(

thanks in advance

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Chorus also known as UPC are your best option. Best bang for your buck and it should be installed in a week. I'm by George's Quay, I've had it a week and no problems to report. You can order it off their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Don't bother ordering online...they won't bother getting back to you.

Ring them up and listen to the classical music for 20mins but at least you will eventually get through to somebody...emails just seem to disappear!

Was just told that the South Terrace apartment block can't get UPC Broadband...great now I have to get a phone line setup, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Was just told that the South Terrace apartment block can't get UPC Broadband...great now I have to get a phone line setup, etc.
    You could try Irish Broadband, their wireless option doesn't require a phone line or anything...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

digiweb are around as well i think. Could get some advice in the Broadband forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

What about the mobile broadband from O2, 3 or Vodafone? I use 3, it's €19.99 a month.

• Advertisement

Do you plan on downloading a lot or is it just for surfing?

I currently have the O2 Broadband and it's fine for just surfing and a small bit of downloading. But I have just moved to a new apartment and got a new job with a nice paycheck each week so I plan on getting an 8,10 or 20meg connection. In or around the €50 per month mark.

Previously had BT (overcharged and messed up bills) and Eircon (terrible value for money but service was reliable). So I will give Smart a try this time...provided my soon to be enabled phone line can handle it.

A solution to your problem might be this:
    Order Smart and get the O2 Broadband as well and then in the first 30 days you can return the O2 Broadband and not get charged or tied to a 12 month contract:)

From O2.ie:
    The O2 Broadband 30 day happiness guarantee promotion ends 31/09/08.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

So I had started to go with smart telecom before i had written the post, since we had an eircom line in the apartment. They messed up my order at the start and came back to me saying it would be the 30th before my order was process.

this to me was unacceptable as I had ordered it on the 2nd :(

I email thenm back asking to cancel and they prompt;y told me that my colldown period was over and that is i wanted to cancel my contract i would have to pay a years contract...

Now my question is how the hell is my 7 day cooldown up if i have not even used the service?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm based in the city centre and have chorus/UPC.
    I have to say it's quite good. I have a Internet/TV package for €60 pm and a 10 Meg connection - see sig :)

Their website is certainly short of any Terms and Conditions pages though I would imagine that legally you can't force someone to accept a contract before the start date of that contract...I would ring them to clarify the situation first thing on monday.

If they are saying you have been in contract since the 2nd then are they going to charge you for September???

Don't rely on emails to any telecoms company...shouting down a phoneline to a real person and making written complaints is the only way forward.

Doesn't instill me with confidence if Smart are engaging in this sort of nonsense.

Just found the T&C's on their website, link to a PDF is at the bottom:

http://smarttelecom.ie/residential_broadband.html

Seems they do have it in their T&C's that you only have 7 days to cancel. So they are legally covered. You look tied to Smart as it stands so you may as well go ahead with it and use the O2 broadband 30-day trial in the meantime.
    Always read the T&C's before going into any contract so you know what the get-out period is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement