Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blowers Daughter-suitable for wedding?

Options
  • 19-09-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

I know it has soppy lyrics like "cant take my eyes off you" etc but im not sure of the meaning behind it. Im hearing its a song about infatuation and longing for someone whos gone away or he cant have. Its for the first dance at a wedding and was wondering do people think its a suitable romantic song?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think the most important thing is that the song means something to both of you.
    Heck... it may be 'The Time Warp', or 'Highway to Hell'... but as long as you both love the song, that's all that matters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

You might want to cut it before he says "till I find someone new" at the end though:p

mightn't go down too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Is it suitable? It's Damien Rice for ****s sake, off course not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Well if people can play Every Breath You Take and The One I love at weddings, why not? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't think most of the people at a wedding will be bothered about the lyrics. It's as good a choice as any, though personally I find the song a bit droney and melody free. But each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

anniehoo wrote: »
    I know it has soppy lyrics like "cant take my eyes off you" etc but im not sure of the meaning behind it. Im hearing its a song about infatuation and longing for someone whos gone away or he cant have. Its for the first dance at a wedding and was wondering do people think its a suitable romantic song?
    I don't think people will be paying much attention to the lyrics - it's a wedding, they'll be fairly boozed up :)
    It's got a nice melody and it sounds like a love song - if you like it, use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 guitarsongs

Firetrap wrote: »
    I don't think most of the people at a wedding will be bothered about the lyrics. It's as good a choice as any, though personally I find the song a bit droney and melody free. But each to their own.

You're probably right, but if it was my wedding, and I knew what the lyrics were ( http://www.iol.ie/~murphypj/damien-rice.htm ), I think I'd be looking elsewhere.

Apart from the "til I find someone new" which another posted pointed out, the female vocal in the bridge starts "Oooh, did I say that I loathe you..." - not the most romantic start to a life together...

Your choice obviously, and most people probably think she sings '...love you', but there are so many options I'm sure one of your other favourites would suit the occasion better.

Best of luck, have a happy life together!

PJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

There are thousands of songs! Pick one that is suitable/means something, if it's The Blower's Daughter then so be it, as long as it means something to both of you. Otherwise it would be awful imo.

My friends had it as their first song followed by hallelujah (from Shrek!)

was gorgeous, hairs stood up all over!!

I had amazed by lonestar......

Grainne C wrote: »

Sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement

Carturo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

LOL - Well I liked it!!!!
    :p

LOL - Well I liked it!!!!
    :p

And that's all that matters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Cheers for the replies! Sorry i shouldve said..its not actually for my wedding..its my best friends and im helpin out with the music end of it! Just thought that song was a bit morbid for a wedding. I know it sounds romantic but i think the meaning behind it isnt as nice..and didnt think it was an apt choice for their first dance! I dont think shes actually read into the words tbh, so probably shouldnt ruin what she thinks is a nice song! Or would you tell her?

anniehoo wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies! Sorry i shouldve said..its not actually for my wedding..its my best friends and im helpin out with the music end of it! Just thought that song was a bit morbid for a wedding. I know it sounds romantic but i think the meaning behind it isnt as nice..and didnt think it was an apt choice for their first dance! I dont think shes actually read into the words tbh, so probably shouldnt ruin what she thinks is a nice song! Or would you tell her?

Tell her. How upset could she possibly be over a song :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its her and her finacés "song" so its either "ignorance is bliss" for the wedding day and say nothing or opt for a suitably "normal" romantic song just to make do!

Ah..me and my conscience...ill just say nothin..they like it and s'pose thats all that matters!

If it's "their" song then the actual words bear no significance whatsoever, it's special to them and it's their day, noone elses!

You're a nice friend for thinking of it though but there's just no need!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My friends had it as their first song followed by hallelujah (from Shrek!)

was gorgeous, hairs stood up all over!!

Bit of a hairy lass?

As for the song choice, I think people should use whatever song has some special meaning to them or a song that they just like. However, there's no harm in educating people if they're making a terrible mistake, e.g. "Angels" by Robbie Williams has been used at countless Weddings which is shocking when you consider it's about a cot death. But then again sometimes ignorance is bliss for some people.

Advertisement