Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin lies about taking Pay Cut !

Options
  • 19-09-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

As usual, the public statement from Palin:

"As mayor I took a voluntary pay cut, which didn't thrill my husband; and then as governor I cut the personal chef position from the budget, and that didn't thrill my hungry kids."

And as usual, the different reality:

As a Council member she voted against hiking the mayor's salary from $64,000 to $68,000, but it passed anyway. When she came in as mayor, she passed the ordinance which brought her salary down to $61,200. But that may not actually have taken effect, and Council-mandated raises brought her actual salary up to $68,000.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpoi...e_a_pay_cu.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

If I'm reading your link correctly, "it wasn't until several years later that her salary had actually gone up to the point where it ended up thousands of dollars higher than it was just before she took office." Sorta sounds like she took a pay cut to me.

As a side note, I sure hope Palin makes an appearance on SNL. Wouldn't it be great if she ended her opening skit with "ALIVE from New York... It's Saturday Night!" Now wouldn't that make the Liberals and Feminist's heads explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Actually when she passed the bill to lower her wages she was already on a higher wage salary than she was when elected!

She passed that bill after her actual wage had increased by those thousands of dollars, 3 years later.

But the beauty is the bill didnt even come into effect!!

So she actually took no pay cut in fact her wages INCREASED

Three years later, on March 12, 1999, an article ran in The Frontiersman
    which explicitly reported that Palin's salary was higher at that time than it was when she took over. The article describes a City Council vote where the Council, in the words of the paper, "decided to leave the mayor's salary at $68,000." It was $64,000 when Palin took over, according to the paper.

McCain's campaign's response?

The McCain campaign was unable to explain whether her salary actually was cut. And the McCain campaign declined to comment on the fact that her salary had actually ended up higher than it was when she first took office

LOL, typical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Now wouldn't that make the Liberals and Feminist's heads explode.
    Please define what you mean when you say:
    Liberal?
    Feminist?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This doesnt sound incriminating at all. She acted against the pay rises and other people overthrew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure there is a story worth reading here at all seeing as the piece acknowledges it's not certain whether the council enforced increases or not. But they didn't let that get in the way of yet another "let's get Palin" story. To give the story any kind of genuine credibility it might have been useful to verify the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure there is a story worth reading here at all seeing as the piece acknowledges it's not certain whether the council enforced increases or not.

It bashes Palin therefore it's worthy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

t-bomb wrote: »
    .DONT TAKE THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA FOR GOSPEL THATS JUST PALIN CRAZY!

imo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    As a side note, I sure hope Palin makes an appearance on SNL.

Apprantly she watched SNL with the sound turned down, but found it very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hobbes wrote: »
    Apprantly she watched SNL with the sound turned down, but found it very funny.
    I hear lip reading is an essential skill for a VP :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Overheal wrote: »
    I hear lip reading is an essential skill for a VP :rolleyes:

Pity intelligence isn't essential also though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement