Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calculating CGT on selling shares

• 19-09-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I've done a search, and seen that this has come up a lot, but just wanted to check.
    I sold some shares, say they were worth 5k. From looking here:

http://www.fixmytax.com/capitalgains-summary.html

It seems that the first €1,270 is exempt (I only have one of these exemptions a year), and the rest is taxable at 20%.
    So the tax payable on €5000 is:
    5000-1270 = 3730
    20% of 3730 = €746

Now I believe the tax year is up at the end of Sep, and this needs to be paid at the end of Oct. If I sell more share after this, would this be considered another tax year, and would I have my €1270 exemption again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

AFAIK the exemption is annual (i.e. calendar year)

Also if you have sold any shares you have made a loss on the the loss can be used against the gain for calculation of CGT.

Also to be clear when you say the worth of the shares what do you mean? Is this what they were sold for or the actual profit you made on them? If you purchased them for say 2000 and sold them for 5000 then your CGT is 3000 and that is what you take the exemption from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

kenco wrote: »
    AFAIK the exemption is annual (i.e. calendar year)

Also if you have sold any shares you have made a loss on the the loss can be used against the gain for calculation of CGT.

Also to be clear when you say the worth of the shares what do you mean? Is this what they were sold for or the actual profit you made on them? If you purchased them for say 2000 and sold them for 5000 then your CGT is 3000 and that is what you take the exemption from

Thanks for the quick reply!
    So I'm better off waiting until 2009 to sell any more then.
    Do the rest of the calculations look correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Don't forget that you also deduct the cost of buying the shares also! CGT is only done on the actual gain that you make.

Don't forget that you also deduct the cost of buying the shares also! CGT is only done on the actual gain that you make.

Oh, really? So from the money that I've received, I need to deduct what I originally paid for the shares, and then work out the tax on that?
    That would only end up as €100-200, which seems awfully low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Yes the calcs seem fine. Note the annual exemption cant be rolled forward and is a once off each year.

However I think (though am not 100% sure) that you can use losses from previous years to off set the gain in any particular year. I know people who did this in recent years with the loss that they incurred over the Eircom share debacle.

To be honest you are best off calling revenue and asking them as from my experiences they are very helpful and if they can save you a few quid they will do.

• Advertisement

Thanks!
    I didn't find them too helpful in the past which is why I was looking on here. I just gave them a call though and was informed that I need to pay RTSO, not CGT. Works out dearer, but oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

fjon wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    So I'm better off waiting until 2009 to sell any more then.
    Do the rest of the calculations look correct?

Ye you may be better off although you will also have to use a part disposal rule to work out exactly how much you'll need to pay which makes things a bit more awkward.

It's basically Gross Proceeds x A/(A+B)

Take away your annual exemption and whatever is left deduct CGT at 20%

Advertisement