Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange handbrake behaviour

Options
  • 19-09-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Had some funny behaviour with my handbrake yesterday, and was wondering if anyone here might have an idea what was going on.
    Basically, the car was parked in my drive with the handbrake on. I got in the car, started the engine, into reverse and released the handbrake.
    Now when I released the handbrake there was a kind of loud click/clank noise and even through the handbrake was disengaged, the car was stuck. That is, it was as if the handbrake was still engaged.
    I tried engaging and disengaging the handbrake a few times, but nothing. The car remained in place (my drive is on a slight hill).
    So what I did was disengaged the handbrake, put her into reverse and slowly added some revs while disengaging the clutch. The clicking/clanking sound happened again and the car was free. Tested out the handbrake a few more times and it worked fine after that.

So any ideas? It sound to me like the handbrake cable got stuck or something. As the sound reminded me of a cable that is stuck being suddenly freed.
    Also, does anyone know if the handbrake on a 2000 Focus is connected to the main brakes, or is it separate? Basically, could this affect my main brakes.

Anyway, any help/insights would be appreciated! Cheers
    Dave

Darn, this should be in "Motors" not "Models"...can a mod move it please? :)

Advertisement