Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my Wireless/Line connection

Options
  • 19-09-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have a problem with getting kicked off my wireless connection and i am wondering if anyone would know what the problem might be and the best way to fix it. Here's my problem...

We have wireless boradband at home but we are getting connection errors a lot of the time and getting kicked out.

The phone line comes into the house in a small box near the front door. From there we have a splitter that brings 2 wires from the box, 1 into the living room for Sky and one over to another box in the hall. From this other box we have the phone plugged in and also our Wireless Broadband system. We have about 4 computers that use the broadbank including a PS3. It is so irritating when playing a game and it kicks you out.
    It nearly always kicks me out when someone walks through the front door. After this happens it usually takes about 10 minutes for it to be able to connect again. It it's a windy day it may also kick you out with the wind coming under the door obviously affecting it. Even if you use the back door it seems to be affecting it but generally it is not affected as much from people walking through the hall where the broadband system is, which is weird because the back door is far further away.

does anyone know what this could be. It seems it's the wires are too lose or something and the slightest of movement from them and they go. Or is it something to do with the actual signal coming from the broadband box. I think it has got to the stage where we will need to call someone out but wondering if anyone had any advice before we do it because no doubt they'll charge us over the odds when all it needs is something really small.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Andyfbt wrote: »
    I have a problem with getting kicked off my wireless connection and i am wondering if anyone would know what the problem might be and the best way to fix it. Here's my problem...

We have wireless boradband at home but we are getting connection errors a lot of the time and getting kicked out.

The phone line comes into the house in a small box near the front door. From there we have a splitter that brings 2 wires from the box, 1 into the living room for Sky and one over to another box in the hall. From this other box we have the phone plugged in and also our Wireless Broadband system. We have about 4 computers that use the broadbank including a PS3. It is so irritating when playing a game and it kicks you out.
    It nearly always kicks me out when someone walks through the front door. After this happens it usually takes about 10 minutes for it to be able to connect again. It it's a windy day it may also kick you out with the wind coming under the door obviously affecting it. Even if you use the back door it seems to be affecting it but generally it is not affected as much from people walking through the hall where the broadband system is, which is weird because the back door is far further away.

does anyone know what this could be. It seems it's the wires are too lose or something and the slightest of movement from them and they go. Or is it something to do with the actual signal coming from the broadband box. I think it has got to the stage where we will need to call someone out but wondering if anyone had any advice before we do it because no doubt they'll charge us over the odds when all it needs is something really small.

Your unorthodox internal wiring arrangement sounds like the culprit to me. Could you please tell us who your isp is. I am assuming that you dont have 'wireless broadband' but a wireless network and that have dsl with someone?

Advertisement