Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Crumble vs Apple Pie

• 19-09-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,777 ✭✭✭✭

Personally imo pie is a poor mans crumble

Which do you prefer? 45 votes

Crumble - no contest
    0% 0 votes
    Pie definitely
    80% 36 votes
    They're both muck if ya ask me
    20% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Definitely crumble - with custard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭billyhead

Has to be crumble but i can't seem to purchase a decent one anywahere nowadays. The one I usually get in Swuperquinn is to sweet and not crumbly enough if you know what I mean. Does anybody know of a baker on the Northside of Dublin that makes a quality crumble (doesn not have to be apple i.e rhubard would do). And don't mention to me about making one myself becasue I would make a disaster out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

billyhead wrote: »
    And don't mention to me about making one myself becasue I would make a disaster out of it.
    Definitely crumble - with custard.

no billyhead it wont i am a terrible baker but apple crumble is one of the only things i can manage:D

+1 for custard or ice cream is good too !!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Crumble, without a shadow of doubt. The thought of choosing apple pie didn't cross my mind, it didn't even consider getting up to get in its car and cross my mind.
    Lovely, hot, sweet, apple crumble... thanks for reminding me how delicious it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Oh crumble! Warm crumble + hot custard + cold cream. Lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh, I really don't know! I actually can't choose. They're both delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

apple & rhubarb... with custard.. NYOM!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I'm sure there's a Cake & Pie forum in here somewhere...

I don't agree with this "pie" business. It is, and always will be, apple tart. What are we, American? Pffft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I would go for an apple crumble pie. Best of both worlds put together with the pastry at the bottom holding all the goodness in with the crunchy topping on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,777 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I don't agree with this "pie" business. It is, and always will be, apple tart. What are we, American? Pffft.

Yeah your spot on actually, what twat started this thread! I usually dont call it pie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

pie with cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Applie pie is different to apple tart, it's deeper and has more filling.

Apple crumble ftw (although I prefer rhubarb), with hot custard and ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Apple crumble ftw (although I prefer rhubarb), with hot custard and ice cream.

Exactly. There should be a tart option on the poll, which would get my vote. Probably crumble second, closely followed by pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hot apple tart & icecream FTMFW!!

my mother bakes lovely things (including apple/rhubarb crumble) but I dislike crumble, don't like it - tastes like soggyness and makes me feel ill. But I get that people like it a lot.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE apple tart hot with icecream... sooooooo good..I wish I had some right now... *drool*

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Crumble Definitely
    Made from the simple recipe in the school home economics book that I've kept all these years.

Lovely with a handful of porridge oats mixed into the crumble ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Trilla wrote: »
    Personally imo pie is a poor mans crumble

nope, not ever, no way! :D

You've obviously never tasted Auntie Mary's apple pie NYOM

This, I did not know. Thank you for enlightening me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Went for the apple tart.... I find crumble very sickly !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

GeturGun wrote: »
    Crumble Definitely
    Made from the simple recipe in the school home economics book that I've kept all these years.

Lovely with a handful of porridge oats mixed into the crumble ;)

thats where i got mine lol :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,777 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Interesting fact of the day..even though it was posted a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Went for the apple tart.... I find crumble very sickly !!
    ??
    as in sickly sweet? that would just depend on the recipe, the basic ingredients are the same.

I prefer crumble since on some tarts/pies the bottom can be sodden and manky, also crumble is far easier to make, I find it more likely to get a bad tart/pie than a bad crumble.

I actually make individual crumbles sometimes, just rub butter into the flour with sugar, then dry fry it until golden, now dump it on a plate, now fry cubed apple in butter on the same pan, when done dump into a bowl and put the crumble ontop.

Rhubarb crumble is my fav though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I chose crumble, but I do like apple pie and tart. Gimme a good apple and blackberry crumble with custard and cream any day. :D

Afaik, tart dosen't have a pastry lid or criss/cross pastry strip top. Just has a sliced apple pattern caramelised on the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Pie is where it is at. No to crumble imo. The pie should be served with both whipped cream and vanilla icecream!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

hey there

would ye be able to post the apple crumble recipie from the Deirdre Madden Home Ec book? That books a classic, myself and my flat mate used to make the apple crumble from it but now we've moved out she got the book...

Thanks

msshono wrote: »
    hey there

would ye be able to post the apple crumble recipie from the Deirdre Madden Home Ec book? That books a classic, myself and my flat mate used to make the apple crumble from it but now we've moved out she got the book...

Thanks

500g apples (or other fruit!)
    sugar (to sweeten)

Crumble:
    150g flour
    50g sugar (brown or white)
    75g margarine

I guess you dont need the method (anyway I always just lob the whole lot into a blender and turn it on) I also put in a handful of porridge oats

190C (375F or Gas 5) for 35 minutes

(LOL, step 4 is actually "Serve in the pie dish, on plate with d'oyley underneath dish" I guess you had better be sure and do this or it won't be the same!!!)

ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

Hey, thanks a million for that. I might just make some this evening and have it waiting for when my boyfriend comes home (along with his slippers etc as Deirdre would advise!!! :D).

I think i will do the right thing and make my own doylies...Im sure this is what Deirdre would want us to do, now there is a recession!

Thanks

msshono wrote: »
    Hey, thanks a million for that. I might just make some this evening and have it waiting for when my boyfriend comes home (along with his slippers etc as Deirdre would advise!!! :D).

I think i will do the right thing and make my own doylies...Im sure this is what Deirdre would want us to do, now there is a recession!

Thanks

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I'm going to say apple crumble. If you put some cinnamon into the crumble bit, it's fupping gorgeous- nyom nyom nyom...

I love apple tart as well , but if I had to make a choice it would be crumble.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Depends if it's winter or summer. If you have custard or cream.

Advertisement