Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richarddawkins.net Banned in Turkey

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Do not debate with fools lest ye become one.
    They just drag you down to their level and use their years of experience to pummel you into submission!

CDfm wrote: »
    even ordered a pizza from Dominos - the chicken one with bar-b-q sauce. Heavenly.

Beware the foul treats of Satan, what is delicious today is heart problems tomorrow! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Dave! wrote: »
    What have you got to gloat about? Dawkins doesn't get paid for his website; he gets commission from his book sales. The publicity generated by his website being banned has resulted in his book selling out within 1 day! Sounds like a bit of a coup to Dawkins tbh :D
    It must have been a slow day at the bookshop or a bookburning.

Of course, ya know means that more and more people are getting misinformed by him.

His PR machine must be working overtime to perpetuate the myth that christianity and creationism are synonymous and interchangeable.

When in fact they are not and refer to a bunch of breakaway christians outside the mainstream churches.Why they are called fundamentalists is beyond me.

I suspect when people use the phrase christian to describe creationists they are either doing it on purpose as a wind up or clearly dont have enough understanding of theology. Lets face it -you dont read Dawkins for theological accuracy.

Have read loads of posts by what otherwise seem as well informed and educated people do that over and over.

It must have been a slow day at the bookshop
    No, they sold out. Keep up!
    or a bookburning.

Ah yes, where would Iron Maiden be today if the nutjobs didn't buy up all the copies of Number of the Beast to burn them?

Galvasean wrote: »
    They just drag you down to their level and use their years of experience to pummel you into submission!

Beware the foul treats of Satan, what is delicious today is heart problems tomorrow! :eek:

Must have been the posts I read by Chocolatesauce ....must get into the light qui....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Eww....Domino's?

Yek....had it 4 times in 3 outlets on two continents in seperate hemispheres it it tasted the same (food-poisoningly disgusting) each time.

Well I am in a church where the first sacrament is chocolate sauce!

• Advertisement

No, they sold out. Keep up!

Ah yes, where would Iron Maiden be today if the nutjobs didn't buy up all the copies of Number of the Beast to burn them?
    ya wouldnt do that to Iron Maiden- met the singer a few years back in a church-used to be a choirster.

Now Burzum and those death metal chappies you wouldnt want them in your church theyd rob the candles

Eww....Domino's?

Yek....had it 4 times in 3 outlets on two continents in seperate hemispheres it it tasted the same (food-poisoningly disgusting) each time.

Well I am in a church where the first sacrament is chocolate sauce!

and you went back for more ..........can almost here Alice Cooper into to the Black Widow -Devils food:eek:

ya wouldnt do that to Iron Maiden- met the singer a few years back in a church-used to be a choirster.

I believe Nicko McBrain (the drummer AFAIR) is very much a Christian.
    But I digress.

I didn't go back for more! I just happened to be in a group of people who ordered dominos, so I had no choice! I swear it! :eek:

I believe Nicko McBrain (the drummer AFAIR) is very much a Christian.
    But I digress.

and the leader of Metalicca and good old Alice :cool:

• Advertisement

I didn't go back for more! I just happened to be in a group of people who ordered dominos, so I had no choice! I swear it! :eek:

but ya cant resist chocolate .......them Cadburys were godfeain folk :cool:

but ya cant resist chocolate .......them Cadburys were godfeain folk :cool:

Especially when it is spilled on the naked flesh of someone whom I find attractive. That's what the church is all about :D.

Especially when it is spilled on the naked flesh of someone whom I find attractive. That's what the church is all about :D.

LOL - :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Zillah wrote: »
    Scared of their willingness to utterly abuse the power that editing gives them. By partaking in an interview you are trusting that the film makers will use that power responsibly.

One should not trust Creationists. They're zealous and desperate.

The best they ever did was edit a video of Dawkins being asked a question. They asked the question, let him think about it for a few seconds, and then cut it. They claimed he was 'stumped'. The joke was on them, however, when the FULL clip came out. We got to see his answer.

That's the thing - honest men of science don't always expect such gutter tactics from the opposition. People like Dawkins have trouble sniffing out those kinds of people. I remember reading one of Brian May's blogs, where he complained about the same phenomenon (he was responding to a reader's email). A reader was trying to advise Brian on the best way to deal with reporters asking loaded questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No, what they did was take a 40 second clip where we has thinking about whether to throw them out or not after he discovered they were Creationists, and edited in a fairly simple question on evolution before it.

Now Im all confused.

Richard Dawkins normally rants about creationism and takes the argument against christians who are not creationists.

So whats the big deal if someone has a bit of fun with him.Its not as if he doesnt manipulate media himself. Personally the pause made sense as it showed what Richard Dawkins actually knows about mainstream christianity which is nothing.

Ive said it before like Jane Goody and Kerry Katona hey is addicted to publicity. This was just a "did anyone see me on TV stunt". Its just another stunt to get attention.A tantrum.

Mainstream Christians think he is just some crackpot arguing about theology with only a superficial knowledge of it. That he has supporters who cite him as if his works his works were gospel means they to are not taken seriously when discussing religion.

ITs been said by others this whole "atheists are intelligent "argument is a bit much.

What the hell are you talking about? Its a bit like you're in your own little world, emerge now and then to post here about what you saw, and then return to la la land.

Zillah wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about? Its a bit like you're in your own little world, emerge now and then to post here about what you saw, and then return to la la land.

Actually Zillah - its a television editing technique - you see it as nodding often in outside broadcasting.

Its where television producers etc edit a piece to give tempo and continuity and will cut to a head shot to give it dramatic pace or effect.Watch some Maury filmed in front of a live audience - even Questions and answers is edited and the people from the audience posing the questions are "plants"

YOu dont seriously think that when reporters ask questions the interviewee isnt sometimes scratching his head or picking his nose that they dont cover it up..

So Dawkins got edited in something that wasnt a live broadcast and we are supposed to buy into a conspiracy theory. It happened to Queen Elisabeth in a photoshoot - Colm O S****** the poet says it happened to him etc.

ITs not unusual. Its no big deal.

You clearly don't understand.

What actually happened:
    Richard Dawkins, an expert on evolutionary theory, is asked a basic question about evolution. He answers it in detail.*

What they made it appear to have happened:
    Richard Dawkins, an expert on evolutionary theory, is asked a basic question about evolution. He looks awkward and hums and haws for a full forty seconds.

If you think thats the same as general editing/tidying up then I should probably not try to speak with you. Try to imagine if the Pope was in an interview and he was asked if he really believed in Jesus, and he appeared to spend the next minute looking confused and doubtful. Thats the scale of deceit we're discussing here.

*I don't quite remember. It was either what I said above, or he was never even asked the question in the interview and they inserted the question later. Either way, he addressed the question in great detail in an essay online later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Now Im all confused.

Richard Dawkins normally rants about creationism and takes the argument against christians who are not creationists.

So whats the big deal if someone has a bit of fun with him.Its not as if he doesnt manipulate media himself. Personally the pause made sense as it showed what Richard Dawkins actually knows about mainstream christianity which is nothing.

Ive said it before like Jane Goody and Kerry Katona hey is addicted to publicity. This was just a "did anyone see me on TV stunt". Its just another stunt to get attention.A tantrum.

Mainstream Christians think he is just some crackpot arguing about theology with only a superficial knowledge of it. That he has supporters who cite him as if his works his works were gospel means they to are not taken seriously when discussing religion.

ITs been said by others this whole "atheists are intelligent "argument is a bit much.

Over and above Zillah's response, this post clearly shows you've never read anything done by Dawkins. I don't mind someone trying to tear him apart, but perhaps you could actually give it a proper attempt once you'd read his works, instead of regurgitating stock responses from other sources.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CDfm, nobody is taking anything you say seriously as you are just spouting random soundbytes as fact with no reference to reality. Some people here don't like the pope, but at least will point to things he has said or policies he condones for their reason. Your vitriol against Dawkins rings rather shallow as it appears you are unfamiliar with his work. Not everyone is a huge fan here, but at least they have the decency to be specific about it.

Start backing up what you say with examples/references, or stop annoying people.

Im sorry - I wont post on this thread again - didnt know it was a fanzine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Actually, people just prefer when posters back up their statements.

All the best, though.

Im sorry - I wont post on this thread again - didnt know it was a fanzine

Please note that he didn't say to stop criticising Dawkins, merely that we'd like if you could be specific in some way, rather than just making vague, apparently unfounded attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Now Im all confused.

Why don't these "christians who are not creationist" simply inform Dawkins that they aren't creationists? In fact, if Dawkins is as bad as you say, why aren't interviews out there where Dawkins has been stopped mid sentence by someone saying "I'm not creationist, its obvious the bible is allegorical, your beef is not with me" and then leaving the fairly pointless debate?
    CDfm wrote:
    So Dawkins got edited in something that wasnt a live broadcast and we are supposed to buy into a conspiracy theory. It happened to Queen Elisabeth in a photoshoot - Colm O S****** the poet says it happened to him etc.

ITs not unusual. Its no big deal.

Yes, it happened to queen Elizabeth and the BBC got in trouble and had to apologise for it. Its a big deal because it could be argued to the tort of "False Light".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/science/news/article_1431422.php/Turkey_bans_biologist_Richard_Dawkins_website

I just got this from the RD newsletter.

If Turkey wants to join the EU, they'll have to make sure nothing like this happens. I'm surprised though, considering the secular nature of the courts.

I guess I agree with Pope Benedict on one thing. These clowns should not belong in the E.U.(Obviously I don't mean all Turks are idiots but they have an Islamic culture.)

Now Im all confused.

See? He doesn't know what he is talking about!

Hardly fair editing on my account is it?

Advertisement