Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goverment duties on land

Options
  • 19-09-2008 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

i inherrited a small bit of land from one of my parents back in 2006 , im not the farmer of the house so i only got 10 acres which is fine , my problem is , im told that unless i keep this land for 5 years , i will have to pay inherritance tax on it , im also told that i would have to pay back stamp duty on the land were i to sell it inside 5 years , can anyone confirm or deny this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I wouldn't have a clue but does anyone know why if you keep land for 5years you don't have to pay inheritance, but you do if you are left a house?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bob- it depends on a number of factors (and by rights you probably should seek professional advice on this one).

First of all- you will definitely have to pay Capital Gains Tax on disposal of the land this leaflet from the Revenue Commissioners should explain it in detail.

Depending on whether you are a "farmer" (i.e. whether hold a green cert or equivalent) will determine whether the land qualifies for "agricultural valuation" (as opposed to the open market price). An agricultural valuation of the land is a 90% reduction on its Open Market Selling Price- and is calculated this way towards minimising your potential inheritance tax bill. When you inherit the property- there is a valuation date- on which a nominal value is placed on the property (reduced by up to 90% if you qualify for a farmer designation). You can inherit up to €521,208 (in 2008- lower in previous years) before paying inheritance tax @ 20% on the balance (with the exception of certain "gifts" you may have gotten from the benefactor, over a certain timeframe, prior to their death).

I have no idea what the 10 acres you have is valued at- and to be perfectly honest, if it came under the then threshold at valuation date, don't see that it would be inheritance tax due on disposal of the property- but Capital Gains Tax instead?

You really should seek professional advice on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

smccarrick wrote: »
    Bob- it depends on a number of factors (and by rights you probably should seek professional advice on this one).

First of all- you will definitely have to pay Capital Gains Tax on disposal of the land this leaflet from the Revenue Commissioners should explain it in detail.

Depending on whether you are a "farmer" (i.e. whether hold a green cert or equivalent) will determine whether the land qualifies for "agricultural valuation" (as opposed to the open market price). An agricultural valuation of the land is a 90% reduction on its Open Market Selling Price- and is calculated this way towards minimising your potential inheritance tax bill. When you inherit the property- there is a valuation date- on which a nominal value is placed on the property (reduced by up to 90% if you qualify for a farmer designation). You can inherit up to €521,208 (in 2008- lower in previous years) before paying inheritance tax @ 20% on the balance (with the exception of certain "gifts" you may have gotten from the benefactor, over a certain timeframe, prior to their death).

I have no idea what the 10 acres you have is valued at- and to be perfectly honest, if it came under the then threshold at valuation date, don't see that it would be inheritance tax due on disposal of the property- but Capital Gains Tax instead?

You really should seek professional advice on this one.

cheers

Advertisement