Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop,any deals?

Options
  • 19-09-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Anyone know of any good laptop deals in the shops at the mo,looking to spend 4-5 hundred...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Try this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Buying on the internet is where you get the best deals. Try laptopsdirect.ie or even dell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I wouldn't recommend Dell for value for money. Try Acer or Asus.

Also, do you need a laptop really. I thought I did and got a glitzy one, now 3 years later it can keep up with basic spec new ones which is good, but it's f*ing massive which is terrible.

Look into netbooks if portability is what you're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

ninty9er wrote: »

Also, do you need a laptop really. I thought I did and got a glitzy one, now 3 years later it can keep up with basic spec new ones which is good, but it's f*ing massive which is terrible.

Look into netbooks if portability is what you're after.

+1

AVOID DELL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭underworld

ya intend on avoiding dell allright,just looking for a decent spec for a reasonable price...will try curry/dixons tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

What's wrong with Dell? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭underworld

tippman1 wrote: »

Wel know next week :)

The price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

ninty9er wrote: »

Dell are very good value for money, depending on what exactly you want, and have pretty good follow up support if you do encounter a problem. Much better buying off them than Currys or Dixons. I know a couple of people who have had nothing but problems with Acers (also know a few who are happy enough with them too) and I wouldn't get one myself. Have gone through 3 dell laptops (upgraded/sold on) and never encountered any major problems.

Dell as a company aren't going under, it's just a streamlining of production which may lead to the closure of the Limerick plant.

Probably better off asking in the laptop forum anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheap laptops like any cheap electronic product can be a false economy where they don't last long and you end up buying a decent middle of the range laptop in the end anyway.

Just make sure you buy one with a good warranty and aftersales package.

• Advertisement

bought my first pc from dell a good few years ago

I was fairly computer illiterate at the time (still am ) bought a complete package .pc printer scanner etc, had some problems getting the system operating correctly. phoned the dell helpline , the tech i got speaking to was a complete utter IDIOT.

eventually i managed to get the the internet working & with the help of of google got the system running

a little under 3 years the pc went down took it to dell & was told the psu had failed & the model was now out of stock no other pc repair would touch a dell pc

I now have a e machine bought from pc world , bought it soon after they opened in limerick & never a glitch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

new samsung laptop in pc world €650 special offer, very high spec (EG 4gb RAM), good deal

zuroph wrote: »
    new samsung laptop in pc world €650 special offer, very high spec (EG 4mb RAM), good deal
    I'm sure you mean 4gb, becasue 128mb was standard in the mid 90s.

We were warned off PC World by an IT lecturer. Let's just say you'd be hoping nothing goes wrong....because as incompetent as Dell are at aftersales, it's non-existent at PC world if you're not paying them for it.

Microireland, Thomas Street, are good for after sales & repairs, might be a little pricey for purchase, but they look after what they sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

dell are 50 quid stg cheaper in the north, pc world sell dells cheaper than dell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

what about buying an Apple laptop?

banjobongo wrote: »

400-500 quid wouldn't come anywhere near an Apple

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dell laptops are fine. A Vostro 1000 is way under that budget too. Under €300 plus VAT and shipping.

A very good basic machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

banjobongo wrote: »
    They are ridiculously overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I believe that everything has some value and if any of you have something what you considering as waste or bits and pieces not worth selling... Ill be happy to take that from you.
    I mean anything from computer hardware even cables, cd rom everything.
    If this is just laying around gathering dust - feel free to pm and Ill collect that from co Limerick, Tipp and Clare prefferably. If you have or know about some larger quantity I can drive to other locations too.

• Advertisement

cooperguy wrote: »
    They are ridiculously overpriced.
    Apple aren't overpriced per se, but they do do a higher quality of machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lemar

Hi

Can someone recommend a good deal on laptop, looking for one that will play sims 2 and perform well. Thanks. Have a Dell Inspiron 8200 but unfortunately the screen is giving problems. Also no hearing good things about Vista so would probably prefer XP

Advertisement