Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Stoke

• 19-09-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Alright folks - this one has me confused as regards the team selection. Need help after a miserable 7 out of 11 for the Marseille game in the old Fantasy Rafa. This is potentially a tricky one. Vital that three points are picked up this week with either Chelsea or Utd or both dropping points. This is one of the occasions where players might be rested given that it's the third game in seven days. Also with the upcoming Crewe, Everton, PSV and Man City games within the next fourteen days it surely has to be time for some rotation. I'm expecting a pretty much second string side for the Crewe game but I think there are a couple of players who could do with a bit of a rest - main one is Masch. Kuyt could maybe do with one too but I can see him playing.

At the moment I'm going for

Reina
    Arbeloa Agger Hyypia Dossena
    Kuyt Alonso Gerrard Riera
    Keane Torres

I think Riera is likelier to start over Babel as I think in a congested midfield/defence he is probably a better option than Babel - in a more open game Babel would probably be a better bet. On Riera one of the things that has impressed me most so far is that he doesn't seem to lose possession wastefully i.e. it only tends to be those occasions when he takes on a player that he loses it - I have no problem with him doing this - I'd prefer he never did :P but this is in a sense this is the right way to lose the ball - on the attack, around the edge of the square and looking to create things. I noticed a couple of times that he got possession of the ball around the middle of the field and retained it well - laying it off, finding another Pool player with a simple but effective pass - while not the most flashy of skills it's an invaluable one. However both of these have been playing so well tis a tricky one. Great problem to have though.:)

For the defence - might be a bit of a gamble but I'd bring in Hyypia and Agger for Skrtl and Carragher - I'd assume that there would be a number of occasions where Agger's better footballing ability might prove useful in this game as I'd assume Liverpool woulf have a fair share of the possession. Hyypia is in for Delap's long throws. Also a cheeky fup you to Stoke for trying to buy him in the summer. Also no harm to give Carra and Skrtl a rest before the Everton game. I thought they looked a little tired midweek (completely understandable given how immense they were in the Utd game) Dossena gets in ahead of Aurelio as I would imagine he would get a chance to get forward and fingers crossed would like to see him l play behind Riera. Also for stability. Arbeloa retains his place as he has been playing well - might be a bit harsh on Degen but would imagine he'll get 90mins against Crewe. Might see Degen as a sub depending on how things are going. I think this has to be considered one of the games where Rafa will be looking for width from the full-backs as I can imagine Stoke being rather defensive (not massively so but definately more than they have been so far) Interesting aside goals have been scored for and against Stoke in all four games so far this season. So they will be looking to score and won't be massively surprised if a goal goes in against them. Expect there to be goals in the game.

Kuyt gets the nod on the right even though he could probably do with a rest. With Pennant playing midweek in the reserves surely JP will be sold at Christmas. In a way the fact that Kuyt, Gerrard, Benayoun, El Zhar, Pennant, Babel and even Keane could play on the right of midfield means there is no blantantly obvious second choice right-sided player in the squad after Kuyt. Could see this one being filled by all of the above players on occasion over the season. Gerrard in the middle along with Alonso to pull the strings. Torres and Keane up-front. Both to get off the mark. ;)

My main worry is that Gerrard may have to play a bit deep in midfield alongside Alonso as I can see Stoke having a relatively packed midfield. From what I've seen they have played 4-4-2 in all their games so far this season so fingers crossed they will stick to this - if they switch to 4-5-1 I could see us having problems in the centre of the park. In that case I'd sacrifice either Keane or Torres for Lucas or even Plessis and tell Gerrard to push a bit forward.

From the BBC
    Liverpool v Stoke
    Venue: Anfield Date: Saturday, 20 September Kick-off: 1500 BST
    Coverage: Full commentary on BBC Radio Merseyside 95.8 FM, 1485 MW and DAB, BBC Radio Stoke 94.6FM, 1503MW and DAB, BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day

Liverpool full-back Fabio Aurelio hopes to recover from a calf injury in time to play, and striker Robbie Keane may be recalled to partner Fernando Torres.

Winger Albert Riera could replace Ryan Babel and Sami Hyypia may be brought in to help deal with Stoke's long throws.

Stoke defender Andrew Davies is sidelined and Amdy Faye is suspended.

Boss Tony Pulis could move Abdoulaye Faye back into defence and hand Glenn Whelan a starting place in midfield with Leon Cort missing out.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Hyypia, Aurelio, Dossena, Benayoun, Kuyt, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso, Babel, Riera, Torres, Keane, Ngog, Agger, Deggen, Cavalieri.

Stoke (from): Sorensen, Griffin, Sonko, Abdoulaye Faye, Higginbotham, Lawrence, Whelan, Olofinjana, Delap, Kitson, Fuller, Simonsen, Cort, Shawcross, Wilkinson, Tonge, Cresswell, Sidibe, Soares, Diao.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Full strength from the start, score a couple (and by that i mean 3) and take the big guns off in the second half. The league has to be the only thing on our minds this year. Everything else is icing on the cake.Id go with....
    Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Masherano
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Riera
    Torres
    Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Reina

Skrtel
    Hyypia

Degen
    Aurelio

Alonso
    Gerrard

Kuyt
    Keane
    Riera

Torres

That's what I can see.
    I reckon it's the perfect game for Degen to make his Premiership debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I think this could a tougher game than most are expecting. Essential that we win. I don't mind how much we win by, but i would like us to win with a slightly weakened team to give a few guys a rest.

I'm having a bad feeling about this match. Hope i'm wrong.

Edit: Bad feeling could also be due to the yoghurt i ate at dinner time. It was on the expiry date and tasty a bit 'fruity'. Not something i usually say about natural yoghurt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Degen, i think, is more likely to come off the bench than start.

Momento - Macho is nound to play in a prem game - be rested versus Crewe.
    IBH - I think the yogurt was a mistake. Natural is always suspect when close to the cut-off date.
    I go with:

Reina

Dossena
    Carrager
    Skrtel
    Arberloa

Kuyt
    Masch
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane
    Torres

Although I have a sneaking suspicion (knowing rafa) that one of Torres/Keane/Gerrard will not start. No idea why and I hope I'm worng. Again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

For some reason I'm thinking 3-5-2, with Hyypia coming in to help deal with the long throws, and Degen getting his first game as a wing back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Aurelio is out injured for this game, so expect Dossena to start.

Wonder will Agger get a look in for the centre of defence?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Aurelio is out injured for this game, so expect Dossena to start.

Wonder will Agger get a look in for the centre of defence?

big spiel a few posts up saying he's hoping to be fit . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Got me spiel from here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gonna bet Robbie gets a hat trick. Just got a feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Will Torres definitely play?

He's my captain on fantasy football this week and just wanna make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

He should start :D unless he is injured again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd expect a 3-0 win for Liverpool with any sort of decent line up. Its away from home that you see them play poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd expect a 3-0 win for Liverpool with any sort of decent line up. Its away from home that you see them play poorly.

It's at home we got most of the draws last year, and had so many of our worst performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's at home we got most of the draws last year, and had so many of our worst performances.

It'll come down to how much they want it. I don;t see three, unless they get one early (in which case, I'd go for four or five).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

Delap to launch a few missiles into the box (before he leaves to join Nassau at christmas) and Delap to get on the end of one. Robbie and Fernando to totally misfire against the worlds worst defence and in a shocking move announce their retirement after the game to concentrate on their music(their new boy band "useless"):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Liverpool definitly need all 3 if they are to have any title ambitions. Think it was last year they drew at home to Birmingham around this time after an equally impressive start points wise.

2 or 3 nil Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

A very important game for Liverpool. Its quite likely that they could be top of the table by the end of the weekend if they win this. It would do wonders for their confidence. Rafa mentioned that we need to match them physically. So I expect to see Mascherano and Alonso, Kuyt, Carragher & Skrtel playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

sitout wrote: »
    Delap to launch a few missiles into the box (before he leaves to join Nassau at christmas) and Delap to get on the end of one. Robbie and Fernando to totally misfire against the worlds worst defence and in a shocking move announce their retirement after the game to concentrate on their music(their new boy band "useless"):D

That'd be some going for Delap. Launch a long throw and get in on the end of it then too?!:eek:

I hope Trap will be watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing short of a convincing win is good enough. Not nessecarily a 4 or 5 goal win but not to be pinned in our own bow with Reina pulling off saves all over the place in the last few mins. A 2 goal lead going into the last 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Team:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Kuyt
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane
    Torres

Subs:

Cavalieri
    Degen
    Agger
    Babel
    Mascherano
    Banayoun
    Lucas

• Advertisement

Team:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Kuyt
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane
    Torres

Subs:

Cavalieri
    Degen
    Agger
    Babel
    Mascherano
    Banayoun
    Lucas

Not bad - my first crack at Fantasy Rafa, 10/11

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Not bad - my first crack at Fantasy Rafa, 10/11

10/11 is usually the maximum score. There's always one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

My source at SSN tells me that Torres is to bag 4 today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why 442?

Melion wrote: »
    Why 442?

because Stoke should be there for the taking today?

So go at them with the 4231 that works so well for us

Melion wrote: »
    So go at them with the 4231 that works so well for us

Well it may well be a 4231. Keane usually plays slightly deeper anyway

Kuyt as a right winger in a 4-4-2 makes Tusky a sad panda :(

Tusky wrote: »
    Kuyt as a right winger in a 4-4-2 makes Tusky a sad panda :(

2 very sad pandas :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Team:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Kuyt
    Alonso
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane
    Torres

Subs:

Cavalieri
    Degen
    Agger
    Babel
    Mascherano
    Banayoun
    Lucas

Could it be:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Alonso
    Gerrard

----Kuyt
    Keane
    Riera

Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think the reason for the 4-4-2 is that Rafa probably feels Stoke will defend deep and he obviously wants both Keane and Torres on the pitch.

I'm beginning to think we should expect to see a lot of switching between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 depending on the who the opposition are.

Fingers crossed for early goals and two 61 min subs at 3-0 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

rosboy wrote: »
    Could it be:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Dossena

Alonso
    Gerrard

----Kuyt
    Keane
    Riera

Torres

I'd say the 4-4-2 is likelier as the one above takes both Keane and Gerrard further away from goal.

WTF? Whats he disallowing that for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

wtf

disallowed for no reason at all. good job linesman. a credit to ur species

• Advertisement

dont know why they kept going on about whether Kuyt touched it or not, it wouldnt have made a difference.

EDIT , according to SS the goal was dissallowed for Kuyt offside , thats ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Why would it not make a difference if Kuyt was offside? If he was offside and touched it, then surely it had to be disallowed, regardless of whether Gerrard's shot was going in anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Salif Diao! wtf?! completely forgot he plays football

Jesus everyone isd taking a turn to give a sloppy pass. It's all good though, Stoke keep giving the ball back.:)

Jazzy wrote: »
    Salif Diao! wtf?! completely forgot he plays football

Salif Diao plays football?

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Why would it not make a difference if Kuyt was offside? If he was offside and touched it, then surely it had to be disallowed, regardless of whether Gerrard's shot was going in anyway?

Kuyt had about 4 players ahead of him when Gerrard took the free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Stekelly wrote: »
    Kuyt had about 4 players ahead of him when Gerrard took the free kick.

seemed like a fairly ridiculous decision alright

roryc wrote: »
    seemed like a fairly ridiculous decision alright

Yeah, he wasnt even the furthest Liverpool player forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Stoke are poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's like a training session with long-shots only.

Rafa must have a bet on with possetion % and shots.

Jesus Xabi thats poor.

Why didnt Gerrard just take it and do exactly what he did the first time?

Thats the best thing to do with those frees, hit a dropping shot inside the back post. If someone gets a touch on it and scores, great. If everyone misses it you've a good chance of it going it.

Stoke have been awful. Ive never seen a team give Liverpool so much time and space on the ball. Need a goal early in the second half or this will turn out to be a tense afternoon.

Riera, again, has been v.good. Rarely gives the ball away. Makes the most out of bad passes. Has great technique and control, can beat a man and also has a good cross & shot. Im v.impressed.

Just looking at the replay of Keans shot from Kuyts ball. Why did he not just do something along the lines of what Gerrard did in midweek and just sidefoot it across the goal instead of just hitting it. He had the space for it and could have just slotted it into the corner.

If he just relaxed and took his time sometimes the goals would come easier.

Lots of crossing practice is needed. It's not just that the crosses arent finding players, they're not even remotely in areas where theres any liverpool players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement