Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repairing damage to car

Options
  • 19-09-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Wondering if it's worth having damage to a car repaired before selling?
    I've a '99 Corsa and I'm looking to update but the car has a large dent and a smaller dent and scratches and one side. I've been told if I get it repaired the car'll get more when I sell but I'm sceptical! Any advice? cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

No point on doing work to a car when your not going to see the benifit of it.

My advice is sell the car as-is and spend the money you budgeted to repair the car towards your new car.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Volvoboy wrote: »
    No point on doing work to a car when your not going to see the benifit of it.

My advice is sell the car as-is and spend the money you budgeted to repair the car towards your new car.

:)

As things are at the moment Volvoboy is probably right, but years ago when I was in the motor buisiness some of our mechanics made a nice sideline out of buying old cars, giving them a good cosmetic job and a spray of "new car" odourant, and then selling them on again for a hansome profit having done very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 to what's been said. Your car isn't worth much as it stands, and the repairs are likely to cost more than the cars worth.

ART6 wrote: »
    As things are at the moment Volvoboy is probably right, but years ago when I was in the motor buisiness some of our mechanics made a nice sideline out of buying old cars, giving them a good cosmetic job and a spray of "new car" odourant, and then selling them on again for a hansome profit having done very little.

I've been doing that myself for the last year or so, its fine for somone to buy a car for pennies and do ''some'' work then sell it on, it dosent add up to someone putting money into a car that the aint gonna see the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

I'm not gonna get any work done on the car, you are all right as there isn't any point! :) Now to my next question! :p It's the first car I've ever tried to sell and I don't know what way to go about it! :o
    What's the best way of selling my car? Is it better to go through a garage or something like Buy & Sell? Bearing in mind that it's not perfect looking would I be as well to say that in an advert? Or let the person judge for themselves? And what price do you ask for a '99 corsa!? :confused: thanks again :)

• Advertisement

fifomania wrote: »
    I'm not gonna get any work done on the car, you are all right as there isn't any point! :) Now to my next question! :p It's the first car I've ever tried to sell and I don't know what way to go about it! :o
    What's the best way of selling my car? Is it better to go through a garage or something like Buy & Sell? Bearing in mind that it's not perfect looking would I be as well to say that in an advert? Or let the person judge for themselves? And what price do you ask for a '99 corsa!? :confused: thanks again :)

Place the ad in the Buy and Sell, its free.

In the ad put in all the good points (nct, tax) you'd wanna place the ad for around €1500. Let the buyer ask the questions, dont offer any info unless asked when it comes to him/her viewing the car.

One more thing, good luck!

Advertisement