Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unhappy with Driving Tester in Dungarvan?

Options
  • 19-09-2008 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,
    I did my test a number of weeks ago in Dungarvan and failed unfortunately. I was extremely unhappy with the conduct of the tester and felt that I was treated extremely badly. I made a formal complaint to the RSA about the tester and today received a letter from them basically saying that they can offer me no assistance as the tester in question has denied all allegations made against him. I dont want to go into the details of what exactly happened here, as it would be quite easy to identify the tester in question, but if anyone else has encountered an extremely unprofessional tester at the Dungarvan Test Centre I would be interested in speaking to you.

Regards,
    derryo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This thread will be closed and deleted if any attempt is made to identify or describe any individual examiner.

Please use the PM facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

I'm surprised you got a reply back, I was very unhappy with a test last year and sent a string of e-mails and letters, and didn't get a single reply.

But I later found that the tester in question WAS fired shortly after my complaints, so I obviously wasn't the only one that wasn't happy with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

I acted as the full licenced driver in the car and drove up to the test centre in Deansgrange with my mother when she done her test. Shes in her late 50's and has done this test around three times now. Before she done the last test she done a number of pre tests and the instructor said she should pass the test this time but again she failed. Needless to say she is disheartened with the whole process.

Does anyone have any figures on the amount of women say from 45 upwards that are been passed as I seen a number of other women been failed while I was waiting for her to come back (has anyone else noticed this?).

I was thinking of writting to the RSA and requesting the information under the Freedom of Information act. Is this a good/bad idea?

Andrew

Andrew H wrote: »
    I seen a number of other women been failed while I was waiting for her to come back (has anyone else noticed this?).

I have noticed this too, I was with my girl friend when she did her test the other week, and while I was waiting 2 woman, between 30 and 50 failed. They didn't seem bothered really. But then again I suppose they have been driving on prov licenses for 10+ years, and old habits are hard to kick!

Yeah I agree old habits are hard to break and the handing out of provisional licences over the years definitely dident help. Hopefully she does better next time :)

• Advertisement

Can't say that I agree with the ageist comment, my mum, nearly 50, passed her test without a single mark on the page, I wasn't even sure if she'd pass - not because of her driving ability but her nerves, she has barely gotten back into the car since the test but knows she can if she wants to, she still gets the bus to do her shopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I acted as the full licenced driver in the car and drove up to the test centre in Deansgrange with my mother when she done her test. Shes in her late 50's and has done this test around three times now. Before she done the last test she done a number of pre tests and the instructor said she should pass the test this time but again she failed. Needless to say she is disheartened with the whole process.

Does anyone have any figures on the amount of women say from 45 upwards that are been passed as I seen a number of other women been failed while I was waiting for her to come back (has anyone else noticed this?).

I was thinking of writting to the RSA and requesting the information under the Freedom of Information act. Is this a good/bad idea?

Andrew

I like a good conspiracy but driving instructors against women aged 45+ isn't really a goer - sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

Andrew

The freedom of information act compells public bodies to release information about you and you only. Not a list of statistics that you fancy about everyone.

If you want the latter you need to get elected to be a TD and ask your question as a formal parlimentary question. Then you will be entitled to an answer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

derryo wrote: »
    Hi,
    I did my test a number of weeks ago in Dungarvan and failed unfortunately. I was extremely unhappy with the conduct of the tester and felt that I was treated extremely badly. I made a formal complaint to the RSA about the tester and today received a letter from them basically saying that they can offer me no assistance as the tester in question has denied all allegations made against him. I dont want to go into the details of what exactly happened here, as it would be quite easy to identify the tester in question, but if anyone else has encountered an extremely unprofessional tester at the Dungarvan Test Centre I would be interested in speaking to you.

Regards,
    derryo

Can you ask if you passed your test? I am just playing devil's advocate here.

A friend of mine failed their driving test in June and was going on abou what a lunatic he tester was, general ranty stuff. he came to do his test again in september and he ended up with the same tester, who past him this time but now this tester had gone from being a complete looper, in to a dead sound bloke

irishbird wrote: »
    A friend of mine failed their driving test in June and was going on abou what a lunatic he tester was, general ranty stuff. he came to do his test again in september and he ended up with the same tester, who past him this time but now this tester had gone from being a complete looper, in to a dead sound bloke
    Am I the only one around here who finds it amusing that many of those who were unsucessful didn't like their examiner yet strangely enough, when they pass next time around, the examiner is 'sound'?

More competent second time around?

• Advertisement

Am I the only one around here who finds it amusing that many of those who were unsucessful didn't like their examiner yet strangely enough, when they pass next time around, the examiner is 'sound'?

More competent second time around?

Yeah I always noticed this, It's how us Irish work!, Except a friend in college, he had a tester who he said was a complete...ya know, failed him first time round, had the same bloke the second time but passed, but said he was still an ignorant twat, and his exact words after the test "If i didn't need this cert to get the big pink one, I'd be telling ya to shove it up your squatter, cheers"

Classic, loved that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

No would have to disagree there.I Did my test with the rsa and passed first time out and found the tester to be very bad mannered. A civil servant whos in his job too long, thats how id assess his attitude. Then again nobody is going to be happy everyday of the week in there job.
    Id put it down to people been ignorant in there own mistakes perhaps due to dodgy driving instructors or people's attidtudes thinking there perfect drivers. Op just reapply for the test, dont take it to heart.

Shes in her late 50's and has done this test around three times now. Before she done the last test she done a number of pre tests and the instructor said she should pass the test this time but again she failed. Needless to say she is disheartened with the whole process.

Does anyone have any figures on the amount of women say from 45 upwards that are been passed as I seen a number of other women been failed while I was waiting for her to come back (has anyone else noticed this?)
    TheElf wrote: »
    I have noticed this too, I was with my girl friend when she did her test the other week, and while I was waiting 2 woman, between 30 and 50 failed
    Traditionally , men were under more 'pressure' to have a Driving Licence and therefore were more inclined to pass a test long before the new regulations came in.

As well as the old 2nd Provisional rule, those who had a Provisional Licence prior to the 12th August 1985 were also exempt from the accompanied rule until it changed with the new regulations last year.

A lot of middle aged women would have been driving under this 12/08/85 exemption and are now under pressure to pass a test. The fact that many seem to be unsuccessful now may be down to the fact that they have ingrained habits which are difficult to break.

I can't see why the examiners would discriminate against any particular group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

TheElf wrote: »
    I'm surprised you got a reply back, I was very unhappy with a test last year and sent a string of e-mails and letters, and didn't get a single reply.

But I later found that the tester in question WAS fired shortly after my complaints, so I obviously wasn't the only one that wasn't happy with him.

I'm almost certain I had the same instructor, and I also got the same response when I tried to make a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 derryo

irishbird wrote: »
    Can you ask if you passed your test? I am just playing devil's advocate here.

I can assure you that in my case the tester was very unprofessional and I'm not simply just making a fuss because I failed. Also I'm not the only person who is quite unhappy with he conduct and general demeanour of this tester in recent times.

derryo

The freedom of information act compells public bodies to release information about you and you only. Not a list of statistics that you fancy about everyone.

If you want the latter you need to get elected to be a TD and ask your question as a formal parlimentary question. Then you will be entitled to an answer.

Or I could ask a politician to do it for me after all they are elected by the people to represent the people :D

Advertisement