Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you bring a condom?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I regularly carried a condom when I was single. It's not that I thought I was really liberated or did it in order to be liberated. it's just the sensible thing to do. I might not even have gone out with the intention of pulling, but drink can change one's mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well I think not being bothered by what some people/society might think makes you liberated to an extent. Interesting to see the carrying condom option level with the I don't sleep around option. Is that because I framed the latter negatively or are women less interested in casual sex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Given the chance you can get preggers and for a lot of women sex comes with emotional attachment, women tend to more intrested in non casual sex with in some context of a relationship.

Also sex is better with a more regular partner who should be interested in getting you both off.

Well I think not being bothered by what some people/society might think makes you liberated to an extent.
    People aren't gonna know either way though if you're carrying a condom... well the guy obviously will but I doubt many guys would go round telling everyone the next day "you're not gonna believe it - the slapper had her own condoms!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

Well I think not being bothered by what some people/society might think makes you liberated to an extent. Interesting to see the carrying condom option level with the I don't sleep around option. Is that because I framed the latter negatively or are women less interested in casual sex?

You should have an option for, "I do engage in casual sex but do not/not always carry a condom when I go out."

Often times people don't plan on getting laid but sometimes it just happens, especially while intoxicated.

I think having an interest in casual sex is besides the point. I'm not interested in it really, as in I don't look for it, but it does happen. And like I said above, alcohol is usually (or in my case always) involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Bring a condom where ?
    Do you mean carry a condom on you when you go out for an eveing or on a date or when going out with who ever you are in a relationship with ?

Carrying condoms is not slutty it's sensible and I would rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it.
    Just because a person is carrying a condom does not mean they are going to have sex, it's not a garentee it's back up just in case.

I do carry condoms have done for the last 12 years, even when in a relationship and not using them with my partner
    so u expect to cheat on him?
    I have still gone out with 2 in my bag, hang over from being wro in college and there have been occasions I have given them to women in the ladies who could not get the machine to work or it was empty or to friends.

Better safe then sorry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

TLG wrote: »
    so u expect to cheat on him?

I fail to see how you were able to make that great leap of logic when Thaed had already said that she has given them to other women in the past when they needed them. You've even quoted that yourself ffs.

Zaph wrote: »
    I fail to see how you were able to make that great leap of logic when Thaed had already said that she has given them to other women in the past when they needed them. You've even quoted that yourself ffs.

because she said she has given them on 'occasions' she didn't state that as the sole reason

Just because I have a condom in my bag does not mean I intend to use them as I have stated I would carry them and give them to friends or other people who are having difficultly getting them.

I am perfectly capable of being in a monogamous relationship having a condom on me and not cheating. I would also usually have pen and paper, paracetamol, plasters, tissues, pen knife. It just something handy to have in my bag, if other's need it and even if in a relationship where I am not using them I will still carry them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

because she said she has given them, she didn't state that as the sole reason

That's true, but levelling an accusation like that when an explanation had already been provided is unwarranted, imo.

• Advertisement

Just because I have a condom in my bag does not mean I intend to use them as I have stated I would carry them and give them to friends or other people who are having difficultly getting them.

I am perfectly capable of being in a monogamous relationship having a condom on me and not cheating. I would also usually have pen and paper, paracetamol, plasters, tissues, pen knife. It just something handy to have in my bag, if other's need it and even if in a relationship where I am not using them I will still carry them.

yah but u said on occasion not that that was the sole reason, so what else would be the reason for carrying condoms

because she said she has given them on 'occasions' she didn't state that as the sole reason

Look bottom line is I carry condoms.
    If I am single I carry condoms.
    If I am in a relationship whether we as a couple are using them or not,
    I carry condoms.

This does not make me slutty or if I am in an exclusive relationship mean I am going to or am planning to cheat sexually on my partner. I am a safer sex advocate and have and will promote condom use. If I don't need them someone else might
    that is why. I used the term on occasion as it is not something that happens every time I have been out, but it has happened often enough for me to warrent having them.

yah but u said on occasion not that that was the sole reason, so what else would be the reason for carrying condoms

So anyone who carrys condoms does so with the sole intent of using them themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I always carry them, it's like my wallet was designed to hold them, I usually have 4 on me because what good is 1.. just getting into it and you need a new one! Hate the things to be honest.

Again having them in your wallet for the evening is fine but they should be taken out and stored in a cool dry dark place as the pressure and wear and tear on them in a wallet can damage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Condom buying and selling is the funniest thing. I remember I bought a pack in a chemist once and the man behind the counter called me sir and stuff like that, being extra polite. When I worked in dunnes it was fun to see the embarassed looks on peoples faces when buying them (not least cause they were buying them from a 17/18 yo) I think I only sold one pack of ky jelly in ten months, teh poor women of Sligo!

I have a habit of buying condoms and KY jelly at the same time, mostly for fun. That's just what I'm like though, I don't go in for cultural sensitivities :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Why are the reasons for no answers so negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

*adele* wrote: »
    Why are the reasons for no answers so negative?

Because I was trying to frame the debate around a lecture I had years ago and didn't really allow for a wider consideration of the theme. If you don't feel any poll option represents you just post your thoughts here? I think its been an interesting thread so far.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I sometimes will have a condom in my bag, sometimes not. I have been with my boyfriend nearly a year and a half, and we usually take it turns to buy them, although he can get embarrassed by buying them - a few times I have bought them, and he has paid me back. I have absolutely no problem buying condoms/lube/whatever in a shop, the way I see it is that the people working there are used to it. In the same way, I am not embarrassed about being measured for a bra because people who work in lingerie shops do measuring all the time, I can't understand why some of my friends have such a thing about it that they would rather wear a bra that does not fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If I were single I wouldn't carry condoms on me. If I didn't know a guy before I went out that night I definitely wouldn't be getting so close to him by the end of the night. But I guess that's a bit of an old-fashioned view.

I guess I'd only carry condoms if it were a few dates in or I was going round to his place and felt that sex was on the cards- but I suppose at that stage I wouldn't be totally "single".

I might carry one or two for friends if I knew they were desperate to score and likely to forget one.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

yes i carry condoms in my handbag. not that i go out socially with the sole intent of getting laid but should a suitable candidate present himself and i feel like going for it, then i want to know that i'm as safe as i can be.

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

I used to keep a supply but now that I am abstaining I haven't had the need to buy any hence why I don't bring them out... :p I don't have any problem with going out and complaining on someone elses behalf however if the machine in the ladies isn't working :rolleyes: - or indeed if there isn't actually a machine in the ladies!! :eek: :eek: Apparently I'm quite embarressing like that but as far as I'm concerned better safe than sorry!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

You have to bring condoms ffs. That way when you fail,youve built up the expectation a bit,and thus multiply the disappointment. When i fail,i like to epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

if i carried a bag or knew there was a chance id need one id carry them.dont see why the responsibility should always be left up to the lad.i dont carry them now as i know its not a likely situation for me to end up in theese days and i usually only have two pockets so itd probably end up ripped open by my keys or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I have been carrying a Condo with me ever since the ar*e fell out of the property market. Anyone interested? This is a hot little property in an up and coming area, and is a snip at 310,000 euros. Viewings by appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Again having them in your wallet for the evening is fine but they should be taken out and stored in a cool dry dark place as the pressure and wear and tear on them in a wallet can damage them.

It is for this reason girls should carry their own supply if nothing else..... I'd say some condoms are in mens wallets for months, and probably well withered; I'd rather have one I could rely on.

I usually carry some myself; not cos I'm a hoe or cos when I go out I intend getting laid, but I find it gives me more control should the situation arise. I have certain condom preferences, certain ones work better for me,certain ones i'm allergic to etc; so if I carry my own it solves this problem!!!

Its much worse to not have them and then actually need one.

Scouts motto always applies here....be prepared;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

i do as it's a thing me and my boyfriend do if going away for a few days together. sometimes i bring them and other times he brings them. we are equal on that side of things. but when i was single i never did bring any out. not my kinda thing. i feel i would be presuming i would meet someone and i just never felt comfortable with it.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Hate the things to be honest.
    So do I and most people but needs must. As well as carrying them, I used to keep some in the drawer next to my bed. It's amazing how one drunken slip-up will make you super vigilant... :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

would never carry them out with me, but would have in my house.

I wouldnt be having sex with a randomer on a night out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

irishbird wrote: »
    would never carry them out with me, but would have in my house.

I wouldnt be having sex with a randomer on a night out

It's not about having sex with a randomer.. I wouldn't do it, but still I carry a couple of condoms with me.
    Doesn't even mean I am looking for some action or anything of the kind, but I do have a head over my shoulder and it's a way of looking after myself.

Advertisement