Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I got diabetes?

• 19-09-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello,
    over the summer I was living closely with many people in the states and got a few remarks on how often I go to the toilet.
    It is something which I have known for quiet a while, and it gets rediculous at stages sometimes when I am drinking alcohol etc, I may have to go 2-3 times a pint.
    I am also getting dehydrated quiet a lot lately, sometimes more than once a week I wake up and feel a bit not right and am dehydrated I drink pints and pints of water but it seems that I dont retain it well and it takes a whiel to rehydrate.
    Last night I went out which involved drinking 4 bottles of bud light and then two pints in the bar between 9pma nd 1:30am, I was drunk but very in control, and when I came home i drank maybe two litres of water, I then woke up at about 6 and drank more water, I ended up going to the toilet maybe 7 more times before 11am and am still at 5pm feeling a little dehydrated.

I have been doing some research into diabetes this morning but am quiet lost to be honest.
    It does sound like these symptoms match the warning signs for diabetes.
    I don't know about tiredness I guess I always have low enough stamina compared to others but not too bad.
    Reading up on it has convinced me that I have it, and I have booked an apointment to see the student doctor on monday morning.

DO you know what the procedure is for checking will she take a blood test and then get them sent out, or will she have a way of knowing there and then.

I am 21 just under 6 foot and a sim enoug built.

Does it sound like type 1 or two or am i just worried about nothing,
    and could you point me to a place where I can learn more about these,

also I am due to go on holidays next week on a drinking holiday so am not too sure about wether I should drink or not.

I don't normally go out as much as other students maybe twice every three weeks?

I eat well enoguh (cook proper meals) but definitley have a sweet tooth,

I would apreciate anything you can say,
    cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't know why you think a bunch of nerds on the Internet can say whether or not you have diabetes.

Go to your doctor.

PS Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm a Diabetic type 1. And although i was young when i was diagnosed, your experiences sound familiar, but of course, i can't see for certain. Go to your doctor straight away, this is not something that can be prolonged, if it is Diabetes your body has resorted to using fluid to expel sugar from your system, hence the non stop thirst and constant trips to the toilet. This is putting tremendous strain on your system. So i would go straight away. As in right now, to your GP where he can check your blood sugar, either by a small blood test or a urine sample to check for ketones.
    Better to be safe with this sort of thing. Best of Luck and i hope all is well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Regular toilet trips, loss of weight and dehydration are all symptoms alright, but no one but your doc would be able to tell you anything more.

They'll take bloods, and generally for diabetes they can know in pretty much no time - for instance my friend recieved a phonecall roughly four hours after leaving the doc.

Best of luck, but if you're worried, go to the doc ASAP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per the advice above- please go to your doctor as soon as possible. While the sympthoms may suggest diabetes- equally it could be any of a large number of other possibilities. Without trying to worry you- you do need to seek medical advice and have a clinical diagnosis carried out. I am closing this thread, but if you PM me after you have received medical diagnosis, I will be happy to reopen it for you.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement