Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - Oil Light in Golf still flashing after service!

Options
  • 19-09-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Right, about 10 days ago I was on my way up the N7 and all of a sudden my oil light came on. So topped up oil and drove on. About 10 mins later it comes on again only this time the light is lashing and there are 3 little warning beeps. A little worried, I rang my mechanic who said to drop it out to him. So I hand it over for a few days and pay 220.

He said that the gause in the oil sump had clogged up and there wasn't enough oil pressure (caused by this blockage). He cleared the sump and drove it 20+ miles that day and said it was fine. So I collected it from him on Tuesday night, and on Wednesday morning the light appears again on the way to work. It (the light/warning sound) has been going like the clappers since.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be or has anyone experienced this before?

I will ring him tonight, i've almost been putting it off as I'm sh1t11ng it at the thought of spending any more money on the car, got a new timing belt, 3 tyres, a general service and NCT'd last month to the tune of nearly 900 euros in total!!

Any info greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Have a look at http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html. Sounds like you may have a sludging problem that cleaning the oil filter didn't affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Let me guess: 1.8T?

You need a new oil pump.

Sorry. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

What you need to do is check the oil pressure with a gauge and see what readings you are getting.

Anything else is only guess work and a waste of time.

I had a mk4 do the same to me and it was showing perfect oil pressure when i checked it manually.

Assumed it was the oil light switch and put one in only for the bloody thing to go off again the very next day.
    Traced the wires as far as I could into the loom, chopped them off and replaced them and the problem went away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Fizman wrote: »
    Right, about 10 days ago I was on my way up the N7 and all of a sudden my oil light came on. So topped up oil and drove on. About 10 mins later it comes on again only this time the light is lashing and there are 3 little warning beeps. A little worried, I rang my mechanic who said to drop it out to him. So I hand it over for a few days and pay 220.

He said that the gause in the oil sump had clogged up and there wasn't enough oil pressure (caused by this blockage). He cleared the sump and drove it 20+ miles that day and said it was fine. So I collected it from him on Tuesday night, and on Wednesday morning the light appears again on the way to work. It (the light/warning sound) has been going like the clappers since.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be or has anyone experienced this before?

I will ring him tonight, i've almost been putting it off as I'm sh1t11ng it at the thought of spending any more money on the car, got a new timing belt, 3 tyres, a general service and NCT'd last month to the tune of nearly 900 euros in total!!

Any info greatly appreciated!

I think your mechanic is telling you porky pies...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I think your mechanic is telling you porky pies...
    Poacher turned gamekeeper? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Sorry I didn't mention its a 1.4. 2000 reg. 103k on clock. After he (mechanic) cleared the gause/gauge in the sump, he said he measured the oil pressure and it was perfect.

I think I might drop into the main VAG dealer nearby and mention my issue. See what they have to say.

Just get your mechanic to fit an oil light switch, its not that dear and will work out cheaper than going to a main dealer.

Its only a 5 min job to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

slideways wrote: »
    Just get your mechanic to fit an oil light switch, its not that dear and will work out cheaper than going to a main dealer.

Its only a 5 min job to fit

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly would an oil light switch do?

It measures the oil pressure and puts on the oil light when it drops too low.

Normally this is at 7psi or half a bar

esel wrote: »
    Poacher turned gamekeeper? :D

It is obvious that the mechanic in this case didn't take down the sump and clean the oil pick up... If he did, he clearly didn't know what he was doing.

• Advertisement

What mechanic would get into dropping a sump and all that messing when the oil pressure switch wasn't eliminated as a problem first??? I never heard of an oil pressure problem being caused by crap building up at the oil pick up in the sump.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What mechanic would get into dropping a sump and all that messing when the oil pressure switch wasn't eliminated as a problem first??? I never heard of an oil pressure problem being caused by crap building up at the oil pick up in the sump.
    For that amount of sludge and crap build up you would want to have had the same oil in it for 50000 miles.

Those 1.4 are on the gradual oil change anyway:pac: It burns an old litre and you add a new litre:D

For that amount of sludge and crap build up you would want to have had the same oil in it for 50000 miles.

Those 1.4 are on the gradual oil change anyway:pac: It burns an old litre and you add a new litre:D

Luckily for the OP, he/she can check if the sump was dropped by asking another mechanic to check for new sump sealer around the sump. This will tell if the sump was dropped or not. I've never heard of this causing an oil pressure problem, ever.

Or just stick his head under the car and look themselves... should be pretty easy to see.

I once had to fill a Daihatsu Charade 1L diesel engine with diesel as the oil had got so thick it wouldnt come out when cold. The guy had been complaing that it wouldnt turn over right in the morning but once it got warm it would. It was like treacle!

If he doesn't know what this is or what it does, he might have trouble looking for sealant around a sump. You'd really need to get it up on a lift to see properly...

Good point batman, if you knew what you were looking for you should see it from the top... well you would if I did it anyway!

Good point batman, if you knew what you were looking for you should see it from the top... well you would if I did it anyway!

You won't be able to see sump sealant from the top no matter how you go about it, unless you've turned the car upsidedown that is... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement