Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The McGuire program

Options
  • 19-09-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,I have had a stutter alll my life but at around christmas 07 it began getting worse and worse,so I went to my local speech therapist and started going to appointments every week...eventually it went away after all the therapy...but I missed my last appointment about a month later which I didn't really care about because I had no problems with speech since...so anyways over the last month my stammer\stutter has come back to haunt me its gotten extremley bad today at work I went to ask one of the girls for keys and I couldn't talk for about 10 seconds I feel as if its gettin worse day by day.. im a very sociable person too and this is really depressing me:mad: so I found out about the maguire program and thought happy days but then I found out the price...1000 THOUSAND EURo for a three day course that is unbelieveable how is a 17 year old suppose to be able to pay that? and why do you have to have someone over 18 with you what difference does that make?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

I can't really say anything about the Maguire Programme...haven't been on it myself!!!
    I went on a course called the Patmar Course For Adults Who Stammer...it is run in Co. Sligo...it was free for people from Southern Ireland...therapy was free and so too accommodation for 9nights with meals!!! I'm from Northern Ireland...therapy was free for me, though I had to pay for the hotel!!! Contact information for Patmar should be on the stammeringireland website!!!
    There is also a free course in Dublin as well which I think is mentioned on stammeringireland.ie!!!
    I think the most important thing for yourself is to not avoid speaking situations...if it takes you 10 seconds to get out a word...so be it...atleast you said the word and got your message accross!!! What is the worst that can happen to you??? If the person you are talking to are anyway decent they will wait for you to finish the word!!!
    You also have to learn to stop thinking about your speech in great detail...or analyse it!!! Hard to do though!!! Like most stammerers we have our good days and bad days...today you might not get any words out...tomorrow for some strange reason you may get everything out!!!
    You are the only one with the issue with your speech...noone else is bothered...they have their own worries in their life!!! Try to see it from that perspective!!!
    Chin up mate and check out Patmar or that Dublin course!!! Also check for self-help groups in your area!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

I was at a Stammering Awareness Day and I'm nearly sure the guy from the Maguire Programme said there are places for people who can't afford to pay the full fee due to hardship, so might be worth getting in touch with them to ask. Seems a fierce price although they tell you that you will get support and a mentor for life type of thing included...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I have a very good friend that did the McGuire programme a few months ago, she had suffered from a stutter from the age of 2 (she is now 29). She really has not looked back since completing the course! and would highly recommend the course. She got married 2 weeks ago, and was able to give a (lengthy) speech! the whole room was in tears as this time last year she wouldnt have had the confidence to as much as call for a chinese! Its fantastic and I as her friend can see such a difference in her self esteem!

good luck regardless!

Advertisement