Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do about scam charity collectors?

Options
  • 19-09-2008 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Some people nearby are blatantly involved in Scam charity collections in the area. They moved in and cause lots of noise going in and out every day in their vans. I have actually seen them peel off a sticker on the side of their van which named one fake charity and then replacing it with another fake company name.
    This happens on a regular basis.
    They also throw the fake charity stickers in.
    The Charity board tell me that there are new laws being passed in the next 12 months that will stop all this but can anyone tell me if what these people are doing is illegal?.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can you take pictures? Maybe there is a case of false representation, I'm guessing though.
    (If I had pictures, I'd post them on my website to warn people)
    If they are operating as a charity, don't they have to be registered (for tax reasons alone)?

Hopefully someone will better inform you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Maybe contact a newspaper................they might move if the paper makes contact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

A thread already on here mate.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054966195

I dont think the cops or anybody else can do anything. The only option by the sounds of it is for a few burly local lads to introduce these "charity" collectors to their baseball bat collection ;)

Sizzler wrote: »
    I dont think the cops or anybody else can do anything. The only option by the sounds of it is for a few burly local lads to introduce these "charity" collectors to their baseball bat collection ;)

LOL Where do I sign up to volunteer! baseball6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Moroto is it a white transit type van? with chernoble childrens something or other, seen this shower in my area, driver was an dirty looking old gypsy with a moustache. seem him collecting a few times then stop at theh end of our road and take the sign down and away off with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You could contact your local council litter wardens as most clothes collected by rogue collectors usually end up dumped at the roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You could contact your local council litter wardens as most clothes collected by rogue collectors usually end up dumped at the roadside.

I tried this when we were getting several of the bin stickers through the door a week earlier this year, they didnt even get back to me.

I contacted the gardai and they said the sheer number of them doing this scam meant there wasn't much they could do to catch them all.

The men who run these scams are known to be extremely violent, don't confront them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

eth0_ wrote: »
    The men who run these scams are known to be extremely violent, don't confront them yourself.

Hence ;)
    Sizzler wrote: »
    The only option by the sounds of it is for a few burly local lads to introduce these "charity" collectors to their baseball bat collection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Biggins and Sizzler

There will be no advocation of violence in any shape or form in this forum. Have some sense.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    @Biggins and Sizzler

There will be no avocation of violence in any shape or form in this forum. Have some sense.

dudara

Ahem - I agree. I was JOKING! Thus my cartoon above! O' and the other chap was just funny the way he wrote what he did, nothing more... If we can't get rid of them, surely we can have a laugh with them! Its about all they are good for.
    computer9.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement