Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman returns policy

Options
  • 19-09-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I bought something today in Harvey Normans that was a bit of an impulse buy. Since I came home I realised it was way over-priced and I want to bring it back. Does any one know what they are like regards returning items i.e will I just be offered store credit or will they give me a refund? I know they don't have to do either, just thought I'd see what people say first as the store is a fair bit away from me:o
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

they dont do refunds , you might get store credit tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I rang another Harvey Norman(not the one I bought the item in as they were closed) and she said I should be able to get my money back:rolleyes: but didnt sound too definate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The reason prices are so high are because of people like you. No offence but its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

The reason prices are so high are because of people like you. No offence but its true.

AND the people who are going to queue for their 6am - 6pm sale tomorrow

I know, usually I would research the price, but I was a little "excited" yesterday:p oh well I've definaltly learned my lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Just out of curiosity, what was it?

it was a Iomega Screenplay

http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~143829~WW~/index.htm?affiliate=6029&fS=down

HN are selling them at nearly €100 over the RRP!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I love HN words.. Something to the effect, "their prices can't be beaten!"
    ...Aaa YES, they can. I was looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse.
    A logitec MX version. I priced around Drogheda and Harvey Normans was 139 Euro!!!

Frak that I though to myself - paid a tenner (return) for the bus to Dundalk, went into PCworld and bought the exact same thing for 59 Euro.
    Now... There was no sale, no discounted price, no nothing. That was the standard price for the shop.
    Harvey Normans can go get stuffed. I wouldn't believe them if they said "Black was Black", never mind white!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

it was a Iomega Screenplay

http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~143829~WW~/index.htm?affiliate=6029&fS=down

HN are selling them at nearly €100 over the RRP!

Ahhh fair enough, do you have an Xbox 360 by any chance? Or a PS3? If so it'd be easy enough to set up a media server on your home network - then you'll really realise how much of an impulse buy this was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I am convinced that Harvey Norman's and PC World in Airside (Dublin) have some little cartel-like operation going on. I was looking at the prices on serveral different items (GPS, mice and webcams) and could not find the exact same model in of a corresponding item in both shops to do a like-for-like price comparison on. Whether it's deliberate or just done by someone looking to see what each other is stocking, I can't say, but it just seems to be a little too convenient, in that you have no basis to take them up on their "we won't be beaten on price" offers. While in HN's, I looked up some of the items on Komplett (on my mobile) and found them (Komplett) to be a good deal cheaper in any case (not counting delivery). I was about to query some of the price differentials but I didn't see any managers around.

I have bought some stuff from HN before, but I went in having done my research that what I was paying was the best price in town. Bottom line is (in my experience, YMMV) you can get stuff at decent prices there, but the chances are if you just go in and pick up random_item_01 you will be paying over the odds.

As far as the item the OP bought, I snapped up two of them from Iomega direct, €150 each for the HD version (and zero delivery): http://www.iomega-europe.com/section?lang=en&SID=15de25a5e906f9334b0aaec4e19d1caef77:4725&secid=39289

A very handy little item, to be sure. A few minor nags would be that the UI is a little basic (esp on a 46" tv :)), and the remote control is wafer-thin, not sure how long it will last.

• Advertisement
Advertisement