Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free standing whiskey dispenser

Options
  • 19-09-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

I need advice. A friend of mine (whiskey-mad guy) would like to order a free standing whisk(e)y dispenser from e-bay. 4 bottles fit into the dispenser, which is basically an iron stand, covered with chrome, looks sturdy enough on the picture - but I am not convinced, that it is heavy enough to be handled with one hand - you know, pressing the shot glass against the bottle etc. It cannot be screwed to the table top. What do you think? Any experience with one of these? Is it possible to knock the whole thing over accidentaly? Would he be better off with a wall-mounted dispenser? Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If the optics are of a good quality and well maintained then it should be fine.

Edit/ to be clearer, it's still possible to knock it over if you bump into it, it should be fairly sturdy though. Also, you can use your right/left hand to hold the glass under the optic and the other hand can be placed on the top of the unit to steady it if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have though most whiskey lovers would not want their nice drink being exposed to optics, I imagine most have some plastic or rubber seals which is in direct contact with the alcohol (solvent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Thats just picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

If its anything like this click it wont be sturdy enough for one hand operation.
    Works fine though if you hold the bottle with one hand as you press up on it.

If hes really wants a good dispenser rather than just a novelty I'd go with a better one, one that bolts to the table/wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Elem wrote: »
    Thats just picky.

Well a lot of people will not drink coke, beer or water from plastic bottles or cans since they are in direct contact with plastic (cans are lined with plastic) and most say it is due to the taste it imparts. But whiskey at ~40% is a much stronger solvent and should leach a lot more off tastes from rubber or plastic than beer or water would.

Same goes for synthetic corks in wine, I think the main reason wine is left on it side is to keep the cork wet, it cannot dry up & crack and spoil. So there is no need to put sythetically corked wine on its side, and doing so could also impart flavours.

The OP described that mate as "whiskey-mad", and anybody I know into their spirits would be "picky" over things like that, just like most seasoned guinness drinkers hate getting plastic cups at gigs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement