Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice please!

Options
  • 19-09-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Got a miniature Jack Russell pup on Wednesday evening and have started to house train him, that's going grand, although when we take him outside he thinks it's play time and won't do his business for ages (even if we ignore him he runs around chasing his own tail!), any tips to make him do business and no play?

Also, the first night we got him he went to his bed grand and slept all night, despite me trying to wake him to come out and do wee, he was having none of it.

Last night though, he wouldn't go to his bed at all and just wanted to play all night, the only way we got him to sleep (and I feel very guilty saying this!) was to let him sleep in my bed with me (not easy with my big fat pregnant belly!). Have you any tips on getting him to stay in his bed at night??

Thanks,
    Adrieanne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How about putting his bed beside yours at night instead or in a crate beside your bed. Puppies take a while to settle down so get him into a strict routine the first few weeks are the hardest.
    Puppys like to play and be silly.

Puppies won't always wee straight away they need to move around the garden, sniff and play. They are full of beans totally normal everything is so new. Pick the place you want to pup to sleep and stick to it, provided the pup is warm, fed and comfortable he will be fine. You may have some nights of crying though part of having a new pup.

Will be good practice lol.

Do get him into a routine before the baby comes though, so the dog isn't confused if he's suddenly not allowed on the bed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

His bed is beside my bed! He wouldn't stay in it! I think a crate may be the best thing for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Crating him would help with toilet training too. You can throw a worn tshirt belong to you into the crate to keep your scent closer to him, rather than having the crate having to end up on top of the bed with you :D:D Or even just cover it with a worn tshirt.

As well as taking him out on a lead will help him keep focused on the job for toilet training. Play can be after wards :)

It was actually my boyfriend that took him to bed last night, I just took over cos my boyfriend is a heavy sleeper and probably would have squashed him!!

Would a cage like the ones ya buy in argos be like a crate? I was thinking of buying the largest one and putting his bed in there and then papering the rest so he could use it as a toilet and the gradually moving the paper away from his bed so he can distinguish where to go...

Dunno if that's a good idea though...

The tshirt thing sounds like a good idea...

Yeah the cage things in Argos are crates. I've the smallest one I think for my Papillon. i'd say that it would be an ok size for a mini Jack Russell pup though.
    Buy the crate that will fit them when they're an adult. They need to be able to stand up, lie down and turn around, inside in the crate.

Dont put paper in there !!! That will teach him to soil his crate and it will be really really hard to try stop it then when you want him to go through the night.

You can get a puppy pen, and stick the crate in there with the door open for during the day/night like the pic I'm going to attach for you.

• Advertisement

Where would I get one of those pens from??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

yep crate training is the only job..we have a basset hound which are impossible to house break and he wouldnt be left alone at night for the first few weeks so we used the crate and never looked back..make sure crate isnt too big cos they wont dirty where they have to sleep

Pet shop :)
    Argos might do them, I dont know though, I dont have a catalogue handy. Have a check through it and see

argos would rob you!!!!!!!!!!! go to a pet shop..i got mine and it was only 20 squid pity i only gave it away last week cos he outgrew it or you could of had it....

Ah well chiefwiggum!

I have a sleeping puppy! The tshirt idea worked brilliant!! The minute I put it in the bed off he went to sleep! :O

• Advertisement

yeah the scent thing definatley works..i used an old pair of trackie bottoms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

argos would rob you!!!!!!!!!!! go to a pet shop..i got mine and it was only 20 squid pity i only gave it away last week cos he outgrew it or you could of had it....
    For which? Pen or crate?

We got both our crates from Argos. The smaller one was €90 cheaper than the cheapest petshop, and the XL one was over €110 cheaper. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hey OP, im going to play devil's advocate here and recommend you dont keep him in your room until he is house trained.

It can be frustrating house training as it takes time and you often think you have made progress only to wake up to a big poo!

If he does his business inside lift him outside immediately and say "no" in a stern voice. do not do this if you dont catch him doing the business otherwise he wont associate the punishment with the crime!

Clean any indoor accidents with a neutral cleaner or washing up liquid. otherwise he could interpret the smell as another animal and want to cover it his with his own scent.

Hope this helps somewhat! :)

Heres my tips but there are many suggestions out there so go for what works for you. :)

Crate training is the most popular. A cage of less than 1 meter length will suffice. Set up the cage somewhere you expect him to sleep permanently or even until he is house trained. If you have a utility room or a small room similar its ideal.

Put newspaper all over the floor in the room and put a nice blanket in the cage and newspaper on the other half of the cage.

Pups ideally need to be brought out for their business about every 45 mins to an hour. Its important to start word training him now when he is doing this. SO basically use a phrase a word to associate with doing his business such as "go toilet" etc.

give him 3 to 5 mins outside but dont play with him just leave him be and try give a bit of distance between him and you. Another useful tip is to have an already (pee) soiled news paper outside so that he can try use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Top Dog wrote: »
    For which? Pen or crate?

We got both our crates from Argos. The smaller one was €90 cheaper than the cheapest petshop, and the XL one was over €110 cheaper. ;)

I have to agree here, I find Argos very good value for pet stuff and much cheaper than some of the pet shops.

Advertisement