Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car ownership question..

Options
  • 19-09-2008 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Could someone please tell me how old you have to be to own a car in Ireland? Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me how old you have to be to own a car in Ireland? Thanks a million.

You have to be 17 to apply for a learner permit (1st provisional licence) afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Yes but do you need to be 17 to legally own a car, even if you're not driving it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes but do you need to be 17 to legally own a car, even if you're not driving it yet?

Interesting question, I would guess so but I'm not exactly sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've never heard of any legal age limit on owning a car - just that you have to be 17 to have a licence. I'm sure there are plenty of under 17 year olds that own cars and drive them legally on farms or private property where you don't require a licence or insurance.

I know of one 15 year old ( years ago) who bought or was given an old car and basically spend 2 years working on it in his front drive before using it when he was 17.

Advertisement