Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance Armstrong on Fixie

Options
  • 19-09-2008 8:27pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is very odd to see him riding with a bunch of fixie hipsters. Click on the 'Austin' video to see what I mean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's pretty amazing the amount of control they all have when locking the back wheel. Slightly jealous of the weather as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Might I ask as a noob what's the deal with the weird handle bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Team training for next years tour ? Heard Contador and the rest of the boys are joining them after the tour of spain....can't remember where i heard it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

his pathetic attempts at mad skidz make me feel like a real man.

he also had a brake :eek:. what a loser :rolleyes:... and moustache bars? puh-leeze.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    his pathetic attempts at mad skidz make me feel like a real man.

he also had a brake :eek:. what a loser :rolleyes:... and moustache bars? puh-leeze.

I think points should also be deducted for not having a shaved head, full beard, and a keg of Heineken, like that other dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

el tonto wrote: »
    I think points should also be deducted for not having a shaved head, full beard, and a keg of Heineken, like that other dude.

Phew, thought that was a bomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing the amount of control they all have when locking the back wheel

I was watching that... never seen it done on skinny wheels (intentionally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

good video here about lance if youre interested ( and can put up with the cheesy voiceover )http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsO_1_wPf2k&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

It is very odd to see him riding with a bunch of fixie hipsters. Click on the 'Austin' video to see what I mean.

Entertaining little clip, wonder what speeds they are going at?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't mean to turn it into one of "those" threads but I note the red light jumping (@1:55) and general level of ass-hattery towards other road users decreases markedly when Lance joins the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I couldn't help but look at their madly spinning legs and think "change gear!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

blorg wrote: »
    Don't mean to turn it into one of "those" threads but I note the red light jumping (@1:55) and general level of ass-hattery towards other road users decreases markedly when Lance joins the bunch.

True... ****in hipsters

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »

While the level of ass-hattery declines, the level of douchebaggery increases:D. I see they fillmed Armstrong fobbing off the police. "It's OK officer, I'm Lance Armstrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Why can't we all just get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Dont be ridiculous.

Actually, if you watch the MASHSF trailer there's a bit where some hipster grabs a woman and pulls her backwards. What's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Actually, if you watch the MASHSF trailer there's a bit where some hipster grabs a woman and pulls her backwards. What's up with that?

She was in the way. You should try it on your daily commute. It's best if you go onto the pavement and do it to kids tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

actually i think that is his fellow hipster douche-bag-ass-hat-tard in drag. fair game.

Ah right, makes sense. F'kin hipsters.

I give it til just after Christmas before the craze hits here. We won't know what's happening surrounded by Rapha wearing poseurs and discovery team Freds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Perhaps we should form some sort of anti-hipster squad. We could patrol the streets and when a hipster is spotted, coral them. By maintaining a tight box around the hipster, their ability to break lights, perform ass-hattery and be seen by other people would be drastically reduced. We can thus minimize the negative perception the public has of cyclists.

This would be the passive approach. A more vigorous, aggressive tactic could be to spray paint deep-v rims a respectable colour, thus removing the abundance of green and pink. Faux brake levers could be slapped onto the bike in various locations, resulting in the hipster being ejected from their comfort zone and rejected by fellow hipsters. These abandoned urbanites would be forced back into the suburbs, becoming suburbanites.

• Advertisement

I give it til just after Christmas before the craze hits here.

Town has been full of them for years.

Town has been full of them for years.

I guess I'm only noticing the non-couriers now. Still haven't seen that many of the hipster-type and no arrospok yet

Best review of MASH I've read yet

"I'm watching a mates copy right now. It's pretty amazing. If you like watching some **** riding their bikes like ***** that is. The tricks are (as mentioned) cringeworthy and hill bombing is really ****ing dull to watch (although fun to do). To me fixed videos seem about a good idea as doing a video of a club training session. It's just ppl riding bikes on the roads."

Verb wrote: »
    Perhaps we should form some sort of anti-hipster squad. We could patrol the streets and when a hipster is spotted, coral them. By maintaining a tight box around the hipster, their ability to break lights, perform ass-hattery and be seen by other people would be drastically reduced. We can thus minimize the negative perception the public has of cyclists.

This would be the passive approach. A more vigorous, aggressive tactic could be to spray paint deep-v rims a respectable colour, thus removing the abundance of green and pink. Faux brake levers could be slapped onto the bike in various locations, resulting in the hipster being ejected from their comfort zone and rejected by fellow hipsters. These abandoned urbanites would be forced back into the suburbs, becoming suburbanites.

"retro" 80s colours. they were bad then and they're no better now

I guess I'm only noticing the non-couriers now.

Jayz, it's the couriers that are the worst of them.

Jayz, it's the couriers that are the worst of them.

Maybe, but at least it's more of a subculture, part of what goes with being a courier for them

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Looks like a lot of fun...tiring, but a lot of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What's with the difference size front wheel on your man Garrett's bike? Is it a style thing? :confused:

Anyone know the song on the Austin video?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Time trial and track bikes went through a phase of fitting a smaller (often 650c) front wheel with a full size 700c back wheel to effectively lower the front of the bike for a more aerodynamic profile.

This was influenced I believe by Moser's "funny bike" on which he broke the Hour Record in 1984.

moser_230184.jpg

bici-Moser85.jpg

The UCI subsequently made it illegal and mandated that both wheels have to be the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

Ah right, makes sense. F'kin hipsters.

I give it til just after Christmas before the craze hits here. We won't know what's happening surrounded by Rapha wearing poseurs and discovery team Freds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAO4EVMlpwM

• Advertisement

Advertisement