Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance Armstrong on Fixie

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRekj46Vq8

Tyre-less bikes...the new trend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Ah right, makes sense. F'kin hipsters.

I give it til just after Christmas before the craze hits here. We won't know what's happening surrounded by Rapha wearing poseurs and discovery team Freds.

It's already happening. I've just returned to college (NCAD, Thomas St, D8) and like most 3rd level institutions, levels of cycle commmuting are higher than the national average. The increase in the number of fixies I have noticed on the bike racks is just remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Húrin wrote: »
    It's already happening. I've just returned to college (NCAD, Thomas St, D8) and like most 3rd level institutions, levels of cycle commmuting are higher than the national average. The increase in the number of fixies I have noticed on the bike racks is just remarkable.

Ah but sure isn't it different for Art Colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

do people in dublin call them hipsters now as well? i thought hipsters were the type of tight trousers that 15 year old girls wear that hang right down on their hips, normally showing off the top of their arse crack when they deviate one degree from standing up straight.
    i used to call them "people who buy their clothes in urban outfitters", "those morons who wear that palestinian scarf as a fashion item" or just plain old "tossers". but fashionistas was what i heard them referred to before.
    hipsters is such an american term. europe had fashionistas long before america had hipsters.

but personally i dont care one way or another who rides bicycles - as long as more people ride them. if they ride fixed so be it. i reckon it will stick with them longer than the tight jeans, large sunglasses, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I used to call them "trendies" when I was younger with issues. I guess you're right though about more people cycling, but will they also follow the light breaking and arrogance levels of international hipsterdom.

Palestinian scarf has always been worn over here, since I can remember anyway. We all had the in school. Cheap and military chic. Though most people I've asked don't realise they're PLO items.

It's all the rage

20060720zppanuelopalestino.jpg

Spainish PM Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero likes them too

• Advertisement

I used to call them "trendies" when I was younger with issues. I guess you're right though about more people cycling, but will they also follow the light breaking and arrogance levels of international hipsterdom.

i dont think that has anything to do with being a fashionista (trendies is a good term as well), look at that video from youtube someone reposted about people breaking lights in dublin. you think any of them are posing for the likes of that "dublin streets" blog? i doubt it. they just look like your good old, down to earth, hi viz wearing, crap mtb riding, dont-give-a-fúck-the-lights oirish cyclists.

here are some dublin fashionistas from that blog. christ, its just... awful.

IMG_2892.JPG

SNC10884.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

the icing on the cake:

SNC11126.JPG

i guess she's dressed reasonably sensibly in comparison to the others. i credit the bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Christ it's worse than I thought. Her bike's not bad though. You have a link?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In an attempt to dispel the confusion I've composed this handy questionaire.

Do you have:
    1. No brakes on your fixie?
    2. A superfluous aerospoke front wheel?
    3. A bike adorned with stickers and spoke cards?
    4. Handlebars narrower than your hips?
    5. Proper track bars, but no bar tape?
    6. A pink Chris King headset on a €100 frame?
    7. Rims any colour other than black?
    8. Dreadlocks?
    9. More than one tattoo?
    10. More than one piercing?
    11. A beard?

If you answered yes to five or more of these questions, then yes, you may be a fixie riding hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    What's with the difference size front wheel on your man Garrett's bike? Is it a style thing? :confused:

I have the same, but in reverse, a 700c front and a 26 inch rear on an MTB frame.

But that's because I couldn't afford a new front suspension and a 700 was all I had.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    In an attempt to dispel the confusion I've composed this handy questionaire.

Do you have:
    1. No brakes on your fixie?
    2. A superfluous aerospoke front wheel?
    3. A bike adorned with stickers and spoke cards?
    4. Handlebars narrower than your hips?
    5. Proper track bars, but no bar tape?
    6. A pink Chris King headset on a €100 frame?
    7. Rims any colour other than black?
    8. Dreadlocks?
    9. More than one tattoo?
    10. More than one piercing?
    11. A beard?

If you answered yes to five or more of these questions, then yes, you may be a fixie riding hipster.

uh oh. i might be drifting dangerously close to some of the above. i had no brakes on my yellow self-build for a while, but only because I couldnt find an affordable long reach calipers (got one eventually off an old raleigh). my handlebars are probably narrower than my hips at the moment cos i've put on so much weight in the past 17 days since the accident, eating sleeping and painkillers do that to you. my bike has a sticker that says "fúck the garda, pig scum" on it - does that count? and i do have more than one tattoo, and a pathetic attempt at a beard.

but seriously though, isnt the difference between being a sound fixie rider and a fashionista is that you built your bike yourself from cheaper parts you got off eBay and wheelandsprocket, instead of forking out more than a grand on colouredy parts like the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If riding bikes(fixie or not) is part of some new fashion then I for one am all for it, as long the ladies take to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

flickerx wrote: »
    uh oh. i might be drifting dangerously close to some of the above.

Just don't buy that aerospoke front wheel and I think you'll be alright;)
    flickerx wrote: »
    but seriously though, isnt the difference between being a sound fixie rider and a fashionista is that you built your bike yourself from cheaper parts you got off eBay and wheelandsprocket, instead of forking out more than a grand on colouredy parts like the above?

I think the key is to hipsterdom is fashion winning out over function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Christ a pink ****ing stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Is it cold in here?

i know which type of hipster i generally prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've come over with a strange urge for some raisins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'd like some peanuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The word of the day is Protrusion!

• Advertisement
Advertisement