Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you delete your boyfriend off your social networking site after you break up?

Options
  • 19-09-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Just wondering!
    My profile views have shot up since me and my now-ex broke up nearly 2 weeks ago...I have looked at my view tracker and my views are always at the same time as he is online!

Do you delete them to forget about them, or do you keep them so you can show them how happy and great you are?

(We used to have rows over this girl leaving him with flirty messages and asking him to come out for drinks, he used to just ignore her though. Now he has been messaging her and leaving kisses, think it's because he hopes I will see and get mad).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Delete it for a month and see how you are after that otherwise you are not getting the space you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, I would delete it and set to private or something. Same with the number from the phone. Its the only way for both of you to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Delete it for a month and see how you are after that otherwise you are not getting the space you need.

That's pretty much exactly what I do :)

When you break up you need to put space between you and that person so that you can start moving on - very hard to heal if you're seeing updates about them every time you log on or start seeing them tagged in photos having *gasp* fun without you!

If you're someone who can stay friends with an ex then you can always re-friend them when you feel ready to see what's been going on in their life and you're willing to let them see what's been going on in yours.

Cut any and all ties, at least for a bit, otherwise there's just way too much drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

tricked1.jpg
    tricked2.jpg

Seriously leave each other alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Kotick

Yes I do delete them. It's as if they never existed. Ya gotta move on. Can't be checking their profile to see who's still talking to them. That's a little psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There were no social networking sites in 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

Well if youre over him it shouldnt bother you if he's still there. If youre not then get rid of it you don't need to be looking at it.

Thats what I would do, I would'nt want it there reminding me of him all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pip'n'chin

I've had this problem before. When it was an angry break up (he'd cheated) i deleted his number and his profile simply to keep myself from being weak and trying to contact him. On the other hand another one of my break ups was more of a mutual thing and we agreed to stay friends so i kept his number and didnt delete him off anything, even though as time went on we didnt really speak anyway but i still have them anyway. So really it depends on the break up situation imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

WindSock wrote: »
    Same with the number from the phone. Its the only way for both of you to move on.

Wish I had have done that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

No I kept him on mine so he would see how much fun I'm having with the most amazing man ever that followed a week later! Muwahaha! :pac: I just put him way down to the bottom of my friends list so I wouldn't have to see any updates from his profile. He's still there but I haven't looked at his page since we broke up. Funny though I often look at two other ex's but they were light years ago.

I would say don't delete it but if there's a way of putting it down to the end of the list so you don't see updates and just try your best not to look at his page. I know it's another pain in the hole to add to a break up but you just have to be strong and not look at his page. Easier said than done, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Delete delete delete....:D If it's only recent there's no way you can keep up the pretense of being 'friends' no matter how much you try, and you shouldn't have to.

Breakups are tough enough without the news feed throwing salt in the wounds with the status updates. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I recently had a break with a guy I was seeing. We had only been seeing each other 5 weeks, and have agreed to stay friends. I have not made touch with him since - is two weeks now, but wanted to give myself space. So reckon in another couple of weeks I will drop him a line. He is still on my facebook, but he doesn't use it much so am not bothered either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

Yes i deleted him recently has he hacked into my account and deleted my whole profile and read all my emails..:mad:
    So why should he be allowed see my new page after doing that, worse part is he dumped me four months ago and only realised he likes me now after the four months of me crying none stop.:mad: And funny how when you start seeing someone new they want you again.. isnt it...;)

DELETE DELETE DELETE i say!!!
    (but i kept our pictures up:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

:cool:
    AmyG wrote: »
    Yes i deleted him recently has he hacked into my account and deleted my whole profile and read all my emails..:mad:
    So why should he be allowed see my new page after doing that, worse part is he dumped me four months ago and only realised he likes me now after the four months of me crying none stop.:mad: And funny how when you start seeing someone new they want you again.. isnt it...;)

DELETE DELETE DELETE i say!!!
    (but i kept our pictures up:o)

God you're well rid of him imo!! sounds like a nut.

Delete them, well last one i did cause i was sick of seeing his mug on the updates list!! others are still there ,but way down on the list, but i still talk to them so all iz cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

emo!! wrote: »
    :cool:

God you're well rid of him imo!! sounds like a nut.

Delete them, well last one i did cause i was sick of seeing his mug on the updates list!! others are still there ,but way down on the list, but i still talk to them so all iz cool

yeah still love him... but just changed soo much..
    atleast your ended on good terms:) but ya id hate to see their changes page....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

RUN AWAAAAAYYYY, run far away

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

THE DELETER! Almost sounds as scary as the Terminator? Yes, I deleted my Ex the moment we broke up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SugarandSpice:)

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I just put him way down to the bottom of my friends list so I wouldn't have to see any updates from his profile

Same here!

I never look at his page and I'd like to delete him but I think that it would show that it bothers me and/or make me look bitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

nope id be on talking terms with most of them so tid be weird to delete them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I agree that it depends on the situation. One of my exes from a while back was a complete and utter d!ck and we had a nasty breakup so I deleted his number, blocked his email address and MSN (there weren't social networking sites then) I'm still on good terms with my last ex though, so we didn't delete each other, and we sometimes chat if we're both on facebook at the same time. At first it was a bit strange though, I just didn't look at his page unless I had to, I didn't want to feel upset at what he was doing without me around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I delete them completely. Bebo, msn, emails, numbers (even though i know them off by heart anyway). I'm one of these awful people who will be tempted to internet stalk when i see stupid updates and such.

Although if I break up with them I don't bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I wouldn't have childish things like a bebo. Instead I just put sugar in his petrol tank and cut up all his clothes. Adult things ya know:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

would delete them. immediately. if i'm heartsore then the last thing i need is the temptation of having a sneaky peek at what they're up to, irrespective of whether or not i was the dumper or dumpee. leaves myself open to too many headwrecking thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Bebo's a b!tch for stuff like this.

I was lucky with the last breakup in that he didn't have a bebo page. In fact I didn't have one up until a year ago either. The girl he cheated on me with did though and when I joined I was gettin' constant mails off of (nosey feckers) other beboers telling me ''omg go look what she said on her page about you''!! She was writing up details about what they were gettin' up to and all. Classy lady.

I didn't look at her page once! *proud smiles* Never went near it. I told everyone who was mailing me to feck off and find their own krap to gossip about. I am lucky he didn't have one though, can't imagine how hard it is to constantly see what he's doing and all.

I never delete numbers though, think that's impossible!
    The answers here are very interesting. I'll keep them in mind for future reference :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I delete, almost immediately. Not vindictively but I don't need reminders I need forgetters.

Advertisement