Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Late speed traps

Options
  • 19-09-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Whats the latest people here have seen speed traps.

Was astonsihed a few nights ago to pass one at 2 in the morning. Thought the guard was breathalising but no.

I didn't think the hand held speed guns worked in the dark ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2 in the morning
    Earliest?

Hardly speed 'traps' unless, of course there is no posted limits and the motorists has to guess. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Whats the latest people here have seen speed traps.

Was astonsihed a few nights ago to pass one at 2 in the morning. Thought the guard was breathalising but no.

Before 6am I've seen them and after 10 at night before. And it's easier to use the handhelds in the dark. They don't however work in the fog at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Be fairly useless if that ws the case at certain times of the year with it getting dark fairly early and bright later in the mornings.

Plus some nordic countries could go weeks on end without beign able to use them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They don't however work in the fog at all.
    Hardly a problem. Although many motorists drive way to fast in fog, very few would be actually exceeding the posted limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Hardly a problem. Although many motorists drive way to fast in fog, very few would be actually exceeding the posted limit.

Granted that. However I've meta few twats in my time flooring it (No fog lights on either):rolleyes: ...This is Ireland remember!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Gardai work 24hrs so you can expect to see them anytime. Normally when its quiet calls wise they might do 20 mins of it or whatever.

Traffic Corps would do alot more though at any time.

Radar gun works the same day and night, if its very sunny you can adjust the sight to block out the light - there is a digital readout projected inside the viewing sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

came across a speed check at 4:30am before.

long long straight road coming back from Mayo with a 100kph speed limit. Easy to be caught, luckily enough I was absolutely knackered and was travelling at about 75kph. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say they are checking for other signs of erratic driving behaviour other than just excessive speeding. Overtired or drunk drivers come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My first two penalty points were gained at 1AM on the Limerick Tip road in 2002.

Advertisement