Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Line Network Adapter Kits

Options
  • 19-09-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this should be here or in the BB section so mods feel free to move it.

I'm thinking of getting one of these power line network kits just wondering has anyone else used them and do they work as well as they say on the box so to speak. Lidl have one on Thurs for 79.99 which seems quite reasonable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

My experience with them has been that they certainly do work as they claim but the units don't seem to last long. Mine only worked for about a year before giving in.

Running Cat5 is out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Using one right now. Its a kit by MSI. Only on a 1MB connection so haven't tested the throughput but its certainly handling everything my connection can do.

One thing...if its by Silverlight (lidl carry a lot of their stuff) for the love of god don't buy it, it'll fall apart in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Avns1s wrote: »

Running Cat5 is out of the question?

Well could run a Cat5 cable but don't really want the wires going all over the place so thought one of these things would be better.
    Using one right now. Its a kit by MSI. Only on a 1MB connection so haven't tested the throughput but its certainly handling everything my connection can do.

One thing...if its by Silverlight (lidl carry a lot of their stuff) for the love of god don't buy it, it'll fall apart in a month or two.

No it's Targa the one lidl are selling, actually seen Belkin ones on ebay for only £50 so think i'd be more inclined to get one of them. Having said that though the Targa one does have a 3 yr warrenty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp & Tech.

I'd stay away from belkin gear. Most of the belkin stuff I've used has caused me nothing but headaches. That was all wireless gear though, never tried any of the powerline adapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

i have them 2.5 years and they work well , actual throughput is about one tenth of advertised, 85 mbs feels like 10 and will not stream HD, it will do for DivX or Xvid video tho or slingbox.

If you want HD get the 200mbs versions ..

remember lidl allow returns very easy anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

picked a couple up about three months ago in maplins, work fine, you internet pipe will be smaller than them anyway

Advertisement