Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please :(

Options
  • 19-09-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

A friend and I are after this lad for a long time, he was straying in the mountains. My friend finally managed to catch him in her duck shed tonight. He is in BAD need of vet med care.
    He has a huge untreated abscess (at least this is what I think) for as long as we were trying to catch him (6 weeks at least). He is an older chap and scared stiff, he will be seen by my vet tomorrow first thing. Any help with funds will be MUCH appreciated... Anyone who could foster him after his treatment? I am full to bursting and cannot afford another big vet bill at present :(

p903047.jpg
    p903046.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jesus, the poor thing...

Would love to help EGAR but am low on funds at the moment :(. Wouldn't be able to foster either... I can ask around for you though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As you probably know, I've donated to you before and would gladly again. But the last time I tried through your site you weren't accepting PayPal.

Have you anything sorted re. donations and payment methods and I'll forward something ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi,

no, the PayPal account is no more as they wanted a Tax Excempt Cert which I don't have as I am not a charity and I am not a charity because one needs to have 3 people in order to apply for a charity number :(. Alot of rescues have this problem now with PayPal, both here and in the UK..

But you could mail it to me or pay it into the bank account? The address is:

East Galway Animal Rescue
    Lagoo
    Kylebrack
    Loughrea
    Co. Galway

And the bank account it:

East Galway Animal Rescue
    AIB Loughrea
    Sorting Code 93-74-28
    Account 05902074

Thank you so very much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

seriously i wouldnt put your details up like that

someone has only to call over the phone and withdraw funds. pm it instead to people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I'll pony up some funds on Monday for you. Poor old fellow, I hope he makes it. Sorry I can't help with fostering.

• Advertisement

The bank has assured me that it wouldn't be that easy as I queried before I put the bank details on the main EGAR website.

Thank you all so much! Scotty was seen by my vet this morning. She isn't sure if it is an old wound caused by a trap or a bone tumour, the sweeling is too large. It is not an abcsess as there is no fluid in it. So he got an injection of antin inflams and a five day course of antibiotics. After that I take him back to the vet and we see what it is. If it is a tumour then the leg needs to come off :(. He looks older than he is, we have agreed on 6-8 years as his teeth are very white. We named him Scottie as Elaine (who managed to trap him) is Scottish. He is a very quiet lad and is fine with cats, dogs, donkey and ducks..

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Oh the poor dog, my heart goes out to him.

Just made a small donation online, hope it helps cover some of the vet's bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Grainne

am going to send on a cheque tomorrow.

you're a good person and keep up all your good work. not enough people like you out there.

Hi, thank you for all your help! Scottie is due back at vets this coming Saturday when his course of Antibiotics is finished. He is very very friendly and likes being petted but he is scared also and will not come to a person to ask for snuggles:

p903964.jpg

I've cleaned him up as best as I could as he is not used to being brushed I used a grooming glove. He is actually shiny looking now

p903966.jpg

No comments about his pink collar please :D

I've got him in the house as Elaine is going on a business trip and cannot look after him in Russia. He likes to lie in front of the couch but I cannot tempt him to lie on the couch or even on a blanket, he simply isn't used to it. This boy loves cats and ducks!

p903967.jpg

Still haven't found a fosterer for him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

:( Oh god, poor old thing. fair play with all the hard work. Can't help with the fostering I'm afraid, but will certainly ask around. Will try and donate as well.
    Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Egar

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Poor fella, I'm posting a small donation today. Hope he doesn't have to lose his leg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Grainne

hi,
    how is he getting on? i'd love to foster him but can't am pregnant at the moment and have two cats. oh, hes so lovely it just breaks my heart. keep us posted.

x

Update: First and foremost I am happy to announce that it is NOT bone cancer!!! The infection has cleared up and the oozing has stopped, the hole is now almost completely closed. It looks like an old untreated trap/bite wound or break. Cartilage has grown around it and he isn't in pain although he limps. I am going to see Tori tomorrow and we will make a decision as to whether his leg need to be amputated or if there are any other avenues open for him.

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9244.jpg

Scottie ate only toast with butter or ham but I have now found out that he likes cat food, so I bought dry cat food and he is gobbling that up. He seems to be alot more relaxed but I still have to carry him into the house, he refuses to come in.

IMG_9209.jpg

He is a lovely lovely dog and my son is quite fond of him. Scottie is so loveable and gets on with everyone and everything

IMG_9223.jpg

It appears that he may have found a foster home via boards.ie - I will keep yuou all posted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Delighted to hear it's not bone cancer! He certainly looks more relaxed than the first few pics you posted.

Hey, looking for a small bit of help please.

Scottie is coming to stay with me for a while, the problem is EGAR is in Galway and I am in Kildare. Neither of us has transport. Is anybody travelling from Galway to Kildare or Dublin who could help?

Scottie likes being in the car and should not cause any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'll be in Galway at the weekend and can do a detour to Kildare on the way back if necess.

I only have a small car tho - a Yaris. Would he go in a carrier or would he be ok on the back seat? Do dogs have safety belts? :D Sorry stupid questions - I love dogs but never had one due to a mother with a dog phobia!

Anyway - let me know if you need my help.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Helena thats fab news. Well done.
    sorry I cant help - I'm down in Cork. Hopefully you will be able to sort it though.

Thanks MsFifers, Kildare is a long way from kilkenny (you're in kilkenny right?). You're very kind. :)

We might have to take you up on that offer, however, if anybody is travelling any sooner that would be great.

Scottie, according to Egar, is a very easy passanger. She says he likes going in the car and doesn't move once in it. He can be crated, but I don't think it would be necessary.

There is a safety belt for dogs (I only found this out over the weekend!) :D

(but I don't have one.)

Ah its ok - I've moved now so I'm nearer Carlow. I'd say it'll only add 30/45 mins to the journey - I'm used to long car journeys!

I'll PM you my mobile no. and you can let me know nearer the weekend if you still need the lift for Scotty. (I might be tempted to kidnap him tho!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Well done Helena and MsFifers, both very kind to help Scottie out.

Things never seem to turn out the way as planned...

I think today was the scariest day I have ever had in rescue with one of my dogs.

Scottie has a foster home. We thought we let him come to rest there while we decide what to do with his leg. The growth was no longer hard or hot and the hole in the side had healed well. Scottie was supposed to go into foster today. I fed him as usual and went for a little walk for him when I noticed he was putting weight on the leg and the limping wasn't as pronounced. Great, I thought, my doubts were futile, all he needs is rest. With that I encouraged him to walk a litte further and he wagged his tail and complied. But I wasn't prepared for what came next. Out of the blue the leg started spraying blood. I have never seen anything like it, like a pin hole in a garden hose. Within seconds my leg and shoe was covered in a mist of blood. Scottie just stood there, wagging his tail... I picked him up, put him in the boot of my car (built in dog cage in the estate), raced into the house to get bandages. All I could think of was *pressure bandage, pressure bandage*. I grabbed a bag of cotton wool and some sticky horse bandages and raced back out to the car. Scottie couldn't understand my panic and backed away from me, so I half stood, half laid into the boot and tried to bandage him up as best as I could. I hoped into the car and rang my vet... and was told she is on compassionate leave, the only one available was the cow vet, no thanks. Change of plans, rang the vet in Loughrea, was assured someone could meet me there and off I went, like a bat out of hell. Scottie sat in the back and watched the world go by.

Arrived at the vets, carried him in - he was still wagging his tail. And then it dawned me - I HAD FED HIM, so an OP was out of the question unless it was 50/50. The vet was great, he took one look at me and started laughing. My face was full of bloody smudges and so were my clothes, I had straw in my hair and a magpie feather (my son collects feather so whenever I find one and have my hands full, I *park* it in my hair so that I don't lose it) and I wore two different colour wellies. Never mind, whats wrong with Scottie??? So I explained what happened and what my usual vet had said etc. He agreed with her diagnosis re the cartilage and when he checked out the leg he thought that the cartilage had kept growing and nicked a blood vessel. I nearly died, had that happened to him in the mountains, he could have bled out quietly somewhere...

He staunched the bleeding and put on another bandage. Scottie is booked in for exploratory surgery on Monday 2pm. The vet will open the leg and see if he can reduce the cartilage which has grown unchecked (although he did explain to me jsut as my own vet did that cartilage can grow again) - if all fails the leg will have to amputated. With that on my mind I drove Scottie back home. When we arrived I took him out of the car and carried him inside into a crate. When I came back out I nearly had another heart attack. The boot of my car was covered in blood, even on the windows.... The ceiling of the boot is also sprayed with blood and it is fabric...

Imagine I would have met the Gardai on my way. Crazy, bloodsmeared German woman in a hurry with a boot full of blood and an innocent looking collie with a bright blue bandage on his leg. They would have called the SWAT team.

He is now conked out in the kitchen and can't understand all this fuss. He leaves the bandage alone and is back on antibiotic and antiinflams until his OP on Monday.

I am just glad he took the decision off me and it happened here not at the fosters. Just goes to show, you can be in this game for years and still be surprised. I was just glad my son was at the creche today.

Say a prayer for Scottie on Monday.

Helena, thank you for listening to me rambling on on the phone....

OMG - poor you! I would say poor Scottie, but he seems quite ok about the whole thing. It sounds like you need some post-traumatic counselling tho! :D

It doesn't sound good for his leg though, poor guy. Thank god you guys found him just in time. Will send you something to help with vet expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cooper07

Egar,

Scottie is very lucky to have somebody like you looking after him.

I'll make a donation on Monday into the account to help with his expenses.

Cooper07

Just off the phone to Sarah, scottie had exploratory surgery yesterday. When they opened his leg they found a pea sized tumor right in the joint, so they made the decision to take his leg from above the joint. The vet says that he got it all, and it grew due to the original break.

So, despite sarahs horrible day last week, it was lucky that it happened, the tumor was caught before it became more serious.

At the moment scottie is lying down in his bed being fed toast :D and being spoiled rotten.

:( Aw, that's made me sad although I know it was for the best. I feel an attachment for Scottie even though I never saw him and never got to give him a lift!

I'm sure he'll be flying in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I've followed Scottie's progress with interest and was really rooting for him on this one. I'm so sorry to hear he will lose his leg but it is for the best.

I'm sending another donation your way.

Thank you, Helena and many many thanks to all those who have rooted for Scottie and have sent donations. The leg is gone :( what remains is a stump (I am not quite sure how much is left has he is bandaged up). The vet tried his best to save the leg but when he saw the tumour he decided it was best to amputate and I fully agree with him. Scottie wagged his tail like mad when he saw me coming into the vets today. He is such a placid dog, it's unbelieveable. I must admit, I am not a collie sort of person but Scottie's got the xfactor :D. He is currently asleep after gobbling his toast with butter (yeah yeah :o) and he ate a big bowl of beef broth with meat and kibbles. I am to bring him back to the vets on Saturday to check the wound and change the bandage. Scottie is great, he leaves it totally alone and doesn't need a buster collar. He is already sitting up!!:)

p909001.jpg

p909001.jpg

Not the best of pics but I didn't want to disturb him too much just for a pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Hi EGAR. How's the patient doing now?

Advertisement