Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

road tax for old car

Options
  • 19-09-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi Lads,
    changed car recently and got letter in post for tax renewal for my old car i traded in, still in dealership so my name still showing as owner, do i need to ring tax office to say dealer now has car, or just ignore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you not sent your registration certificate to Shannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

victor1 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    changed car recently and got letter in post for tax renewal for my old car i traded in, still in dealership so my name still showing as owner, do i need to ring tax office to say dealer now has car, or just ignore?

same thing happened me.
    got two letters,just ignored them.not your problem anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Save yourself any Hassle, Drop into the Tax office and bring the recipt if you have it, they'll take your name off right away and that's you done...

I got a £5K bill for storage before on a car I traded in, it was sold on to another small time dealer. Who sold it, and the buyer was caught driving without Tax&Insurance, car was impounded by Gardaí. And of course I was still the registered owner:eek:
    Took a bit of sorting, so now if I trade/sell my car I go straight to Tax office and inform them....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

audismelly wrote: »
    not your problem anymore.

It is your problem if you are still the registered (official) owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    It is your problem if you are still the registered (official) owner.

True but once the car is traded and the old owner signs the change of ownership section at the dealership then the dealer is supposed to inform the DOE in Shannon that the car has temporarily changed ownership to the garage.

Sounds like the dealer either hasn't informed the DOE of this or the DOE hasn't updated their records yet. Registered dealers I think are issued a unique code by the DOE so that the dealer doesn't appear as another owner on the VRC.

I received a renewal a couple of years ago for a car I had traded a few weeks previously and just ignored it, never heard about it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement