Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on antobiotics

Options
  • 19-09-2008 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,
    I have a dog which has been diagnosed with an infection in her spinal vertebrae, my vet has given her a strong dose of antibiotics over a long period, but he is not confident of her recovering.
    I was going to give her a natural antibiotic along with the prescribed antibiotics, they are supplements which help fight infection, but I was wondering is it safe to do so, does anybody know, or has anybody used them before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just make sure nothing in the natural antibiotic counter reacts anything in the prescribed antibiotics, they could have nasty consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Check with the vet to see if the natural ones will interfere with the ones prescribed.
    Its possible the two of them could cause a better reaction, but its also possible they can cause a very bad reaction.
    Never mix until you've asked the person who has prescribed the other ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lokimon

Thanks
    I'll check with the vet, I just wanted to give her the best possible chance of recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I have to say, unless there is a new product out there, there is no such thing as a natural "antibiotic". You can get natural suplements which promote healing and all the discriptions should be on the package. Make sure you are not being sold illegal anibiotics (ment for humans etc) over dosing on antibiotics is very dangerous. Plus there are certain antibiotics for certan diseases. One antibiotic may work on a certain type of bacteria and may be useless on the other. Please be careful, and if in doubt just ring the vet and ask ... its free (aside from the phone call)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lokimon

Sorry,

What I meant was a supplement like Echinacea which is supposed to enhance the immune system, and fight infection. I wont do anything without consulting the vet, I was just wondering are they any good, or has anybody any experience, good or bad, using them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Best to ask your vet to check incase. If its safe to use then definitely try out the echinacea- I dont see any harm and I know it works wonders for humans! Great for strengthening the immune system. Fingers crossed for your pal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I have used that product on cats suffering with felv or cat flu and it does seem to help those not to far gone and I got the all clear from my vet who is open to me giving new things a try.

I would still consult your vet on this even just for the recommended dosage and to make sure it won't interferer with the antibiotic mine were mostly on steroids if I remember correctly.

It's best to ask.

Most vets should be able to tell you if it's a safe vitamin or drug and when they see no hope of there medicine working there happy for you to try something new but I would only do it with advice and working with your vet, some natural stuff is great and works well but not all are suitable and could poison if given wrongly or at all.

Hope he gets better soon.

Advertisement