Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to write songs without knowledge of scales?

• 19-09-2008 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

My music theory is limited at best, don't know a whole lot about scales, keys, relative minors etc, but one thing I did do was memorise a lot of chords.

So my thinking is completely different when it comes to a song. I just choose chords that sound the best with what I'm trying to say.

I seem to be the only person to do this, so is it wrong? I mean if someone was to ask what key a song of mine was in I wouldn't know :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 STIX001

Ask yourself this,
    Do you need to be able to read and write to be able to speak?
    The answer to that question is the same as your question.
    and the answer is no,
    music theory is the study of how music works, its the study
    of WHY something sounds the way it sounds,not HOW to make a sound.

although as with reading and writing it helps you to communicate better
    u dont NEED it per say to achieve what you want to do,it just helps
    you get there alot easier,

when you play a few chords and hear a melody in your head,anything at all what you think to youself is " why does it sound good with that chord" "and why does this sound bad?"
    with theory you can answer those questions.
    essentially music theory came about by askeing themselves the same questions and spent their lives working it out,building on past masters.

So all the hard work is done for you so if you learn theory it meks it a whole lot easier to build on that melody you heard and expand on it,

So in a nutshell, no you dont need it but it does help an awful lot to know
    just basic theory.

P.S.
    If some likes your tune and asks what key its in asnd you dont know they'l probably be more impressed that you wrote it without knowledge of theory
    than if you had, and alot of great songwriters had no clue of theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

JarOfFlies wrote: »
    My music theory is limited at best, don't know a whole lot about scales, keys, relative minors etc, but one thing I did do was memorise a lot of chords.

So my thinking is completely different when it comes to a song. I just choose chords that sound the best with what I'm trying to say.

I seem to be the only person to do this, so is it wrong? I mean if someone was to ask what key a song of mine was in I wouldn't know :p

Is it wrong?!? Hell no, just go with it, i've been playing guitar/writing songs for 7+ years, and have never known what was going on, so to speak. You definitely dont need a background in music, or have any theory behind you to make good music. Just go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

OP if it isnt, someone should tell offspring that they are out of a job!

Stevie wonder too...
    and Kurt Cobain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Don't worry about it just play.
    Get into to it later if you like.
    A little theory can sometimes be bad too remember,
    because it makes you wonder and think "Oh this isn't right
    because the theory says so" and you start gettin stuck in a rut
    no offence but in this case ignorance is sometimes bliss :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

JLemmon wrote: »
    A little theory can sometimes be bad too remember

Have to disagree with that. Learning theory is never a bad thing.
    Understanding the theory of modes can lead to some wonderful sounds that you would never get noodling about with random chords.

Some of the greatest songs only use four chords though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smithfish

JarOfFlies wrote: »

Your not the only one , songwriting cant be taught you have it or you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

depends on the type of songs your doing mate, but really you dont need any theory. some songs can be overly complex and not really enjoyable to listen to, and more than most great songs are not based on any theory, so dont worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jwilt

i think once you have a good ear for music regardless of knowing scales etc, a good but basic enough song can be written. i know the very basic stuff like the relative minor chord is 3 down from the major: ie. Gmajor so its Eminor. so three down is Fsharp, F and E. if you get me.

when it comes to adding harmonies, chord changes (maybe for a bridge), etc, i think it is handy to know even the basic bit of theory. the basics are not hard to pick up. best of luck with it all anyway:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement