Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E46 temperature sensor

Options
  • 20-09-2008 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

My car has became a hot place to be in. I think thats because the temperature sensor is broken, it shows -34 C. My guess is that climate control is heating the car as a result of that.

Anybody know where can that be purchased? Where is it located in the car? How hard is it to replace it?

It is 2001 318 btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What's reading -34C? is it the climate control unit or the OBC?

I'm guessing its the one on the climate control unit. I believe the main temperature sensor for this is located at the rear of the centre console and measures the temperature of the air near the heat exchanger. I've attached a picture of this sensor.

If you get someone with the right scan tool they should be able to read the value from this sensor.... much quicker than you'll probably strip it down and try get a meter on to this sensor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VeeGo

Its the outside temperature meter on the dashboard where mileage is displayed. So you think it might be the cause? I hope i don't need to fix my climate control?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

VeeGo wrote: »
    Its the outside temperature meter on the dashboard where mileage is displayed. So you think it might be the cause? I hope i don't need to fix my climate control?

Ahhh ok, it also uses that sensor too for the climate control too...

I've just checked, it should be located on the front left of the car, see the attached picture. Its normally placed some where the airflow can get to it...

If its the same as the sensor on the E36 it should be nominally 5K @ 25C, so is very easy to check with a multimeter (if you don't have one, you can get one for €10 in maplin).

If the sensor is faulty and you can't get a replacement handy, you could always replace it with a fixed resistor or a POT as a temporary measure.

This sensor is wired to the instrumented panel (IKE). If its not the sensor you'll need to "bell" the two wires going between the sensor and IKE.

Advertisement