Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL1-A-TN Helmet Light From Ebaybanned.com

Options
  • 20-09-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Just a quick review of this light from ebaybanned (http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?products_id=1671).

I ordered it the 4th of Sept and it arrived yesterday 19th Sept, most of this time was from ebaybanned doing their usual (i.e. nothing!).

(The photos are a bit grainy because I for got to change the resolution on my phone and I'm too lazy to redo them! :))

The unit itself is actually bigger than I expected, and build quality is good. It runs of one 123A battery (not included).
    19092008092.jpg

The battery compartment is sealed with a O-ring, but whether its of any use is another question.
    19092008098.jpg

The entire body is make out of some sort of rubbery plastic that gives it a nice feel. There are no marking on the light other than 'IFF' by the IR emitter and SF123A and the + & - to show the type of battery and the correct polarity.

The unit is made up of 3 sets of lights: 3 white LEDs, 2 blue LEDs, and one IR emitter.
    The LEDs have three levels of brightness that can be selected by pressing the round button on the top of the unit next to the IR emitter. The white LEDs are nice and bright and in total darkness they will let you see what you're walking on and a little bit into the distance on full power. The blue LEDs aren't much use for anything other than maybe reading a map or loading a mag or anything else more that a foot in front of you. The IR emitter (IFF) seems to work well - I've only tried it with the camera on my phone since I sadly don't have NVG.

White LEDs
    19092008105.jpg
    Blue LED's
    19092008107.jpg
    IFF Becon (IR Emitter)
    19092008099.jpg

The light is controlled by two toggle switches on the side opposite the LEDs and one button on the top.
    19092008097.jpg

With the LEDs facing down and the IR emitter facing the user the left toggle switch controls the LEDs - pushed to the left it turns the 3 white LEDs on, pushed to the right it turns on the 2 blue LEDs, and returned to the middle it turns the LEDs off. The switch on the right hand side controls the IR emitter - pushing it to the left turns on the IR emitter (you can see it glow red very faintly with your eye but a camera phone or webcam should should it as a bright flash) and pushing it to the right turns it off. The IR emitter flashes about ever two sec as a 'Identify Friend or Foe' light.

There are three ways to mount this light included:
    1. To a helmet
    2. To a 20mm rail
    3. To a cap or hat

Mine came with the helmet mount already installed and how I go about removing it is anyone's guess since it appears to me screwed on from inside the units body!

All in all I'm impressed with it and I feel its good value for €18 and some change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

there is a clip on the side ... press that and it slides but it needs a bit of force. i cant remember if you slide it forward or backward but the way to work it out is to get the other helmet clip and you will see a curved front and a similar clip to the helmet part.. if you cant figure out what the hell i am talking about, i will redo mine tomorrow and post it for you.

the ir emitter i found quite heavy on batteries...at least on mine anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Airsofty

The light is pretty good, But agree eats a 12 euro battery, make sure and set the IFF beacon light on the side to off...As that eats the batt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Airsofty wrote: »
    The light is pretty good, But agree eats a 12 euro battery, make sure and set the IFF beacon light on the side to off...As that eats the batt

I use these batteries - cheap but good quality. I use them in a Surefire replica flash light too.

i use the rechargable ones but they would not last as long as the ones chuck showed there. good enough for a game i guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Where did you find the rechargeable ones and are they any good (in general)?

• Advertisement

Where did you find the rechargeable ones and are they any good (in general)?

they are okay....you can get 3v ones li-ion and charger for about 10 dollars on ebay. they are normally 2 or so dollars each after that. they also come in 3.7v or is it 3.6v...?? anyways the 3v ones are typically green and the purple ones the 3.6 or 3.7 ones...280270163943 is on ebay. i cant remember where i got them so i have no clue what that seller is like, but thats the one i have. it also works well with the torches that you can mount. i did get one dodgy battery however but the rest of them were fine...charger is a bit cheap...but it works.

at a guess i would say they last half the time yours do...not very scientific -- just a feeling

Advertisement