Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student moving abroad for a few months - a few questions

Options
  • 20-09-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Right Im going on my college erasmus placement to Spain soon enough so I have a few questions.

Firstly what do I need to bring....the obvious question I know. I just want to make sure I have a complete list of things and then I can tick it off as I go along. So everything and anything you can think of that I might want to bring. I know I'll leave stuff off my own list hence me asking.

Have any of you every visited Valladolid? If so whats it like? the weather etc. I have googled but I would appreciate feedback from here :) I will be living there for about 5 months.

Any other general info/advice appreciated? I haven't lived outside of Ireland before, holidaying is as far as I have got.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As this is a more "living abroad" sort of question, I'm going to move it to Abroad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Plug adaptors (bring quite a few)
    Passport
    Driving permit
    Small silly things you don't yet know how to ask for in Spanish (nail clippers, nail file, scissors, pain killers, plasters)
    Hairbrush
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Bar of soap
    Pocket size spanish dictionary
    Address of where you're initially staying
    College liaison contact details
    Make sure you have roaming on your phone
    A copy of long birth cert (you never know when you'll want it)
    Some passport photos
    A pencil and small notebook (write home phone numbers in it if you don't know them without your mobile)
    Chargers for anything that needs charging
    Check with your bank that your ATM card works abroad
    Prescription drugs/inhaler/epipen if required

Clothes :)
    Bedclothes/towels ?

Do some research on the closest supermarkets (Carrefour, for example) if you know where you're staying.

Leave photocopy of passport and bank details with someone at home

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

BuffyBot wrote: »
    As this is a more "living abroad" sort of question, I'm going to move it to Abroad :)

Fair enough>>>>We need an erasmus forum :)
    Thoie wrote: »
    Plug adaptors (bring quite a few)
    Passport
    Driving permit
    Small silly things you don't yet know how to ask for in Spanish (nail clippers, nail file, scissors, pain killers, plasters)
    Hairbrush
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Bar of soap
    Pocket size spanish dictionary
    Address of where you're initially staying
    College liaison contact details
    Make sure you have roaming on your phone
    A copy of long birth cert (you never know when you'll want it)
    Some passport photos
    A pencil and small notebook (write home phone numbers in it if you don't know them without your mobile)
    Chargers for anything that needs charging
    Check with your bank that your ATM card works abroad
    Prescription drugs/inhaler/epipen if required

Clothes :)
    Bedclothes/towels ?

Do some research on the closest supermarkets (Carrefour, for example) if you know where you're staying.

Leave photocopy of passport and bank details with someone at home

Thanks,

where do I get a copy of the long birth cert?

I'll be buying a phone when I get over there but I'll get roaming set up on my own too.

Anything else? I have Digital camera on my list too and my laptop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

if you dont have one at home you need to get a new one. I think they cost about ten euro. if you live in dublin, closest office is on pearse street.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Well I have birth cert at home so maybe thats what he is on about but I assume he means that I should bring original documentation with me as apposed to a photocopy of my existing one??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I would bring the original, but leave a photocopy of it at home. To be honest theyre not hard things to get copies of anyway, I dont know how many times Ive lost mine!!

The long one is either A4 size or longer. The short one is really small. Its the long version you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

A photocopy isn't "official" - they have to have the stamp on them for that, and a photocopy of the stamp isn't enough. No real clue as to where to get them - I used get mine in the town I was born in, so I used get a bundle at a time - haven't needed one for years though.

Advertisement