Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A month to change DSL providers?

Options
  • 20-09-2008 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of changing DSL providers, and the new one tells me that it takes two weeks fro the old one to release the line, and then another two weeks for the new one to take it over. Does anyone here know if this is normal? And if it is, how can it take so long, when they're both just reselling the same product?

Any info/opinions/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Who are you changing from, and who are you changing too? Are either of them LLU, or just bitstream (eircom resellers)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

From BT to Perlico. Just bitstream in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeash, that's pretty much normal. actually pretty good by their standards.

if it was in the UK the regulator has forced them to do it inside 3 days, but the UKL have a regulator with some teeth, unlike ireland. :)

it took them 3 months to move my BT broadband from my old apt. in dublin to a house in navan even tho it's bitstream and the previous house owners had eircom broadband. the whole thing is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

the way it works in Ireland is that it basically takes 2 weeks for everyone (assuming both or reselling eircom). The first week, your current ISP is notified that you're going to move to a different ISP, and they have this week to contact you to try get you to stay or let you know you're in contract etc. During that week, they can block your move if you change your mind. Once that week has passed and assuming it hasn't been blocked, then your new provider can take the service... this seems to always take a week too.

It'd be much faster if there wasn't the week at the start, i guess they don't have that in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement