Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

400 hp sedan, with video and pics

Options
  • 20-09-2008 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

My Name is John and I am new to the forums. I'm 20 and I live in the US. I'm really into cars so hopefully I will see alot of interesting things on here.

I currently drive a 95 Taurus SHO 5 speed which my friends and I did a custom turbo setup on. Were using a Garret GT-42 turbo, front mount intercooler, 50 pound bosch universal injectors, Fuel Presure Regulator, 255LPM fuel pump, Apexi SAFCII for air fuel tuning, Tweecr R/T to retard the timing, Diablo sport mass air flow extender to take care of turbulence in the charge piping, 80mm mass air flow sensor off a Lincon Mark 8. The exhaust is 3'' from the turbo back with only a cherry bomb and ending under the passenger door on the side. I have 12.5 inch Baer brakes all around. Also installed a stage 4 clutchmasters 6 pucked clutch and ceramic throw out bearing. The differential has been welded so I don't have to worry about the diff pin breaking loose. I also have all of the cool looking gaugues of course.

I probably forgot a couple of things, but that is all I can think of right now.

When we dyno'd the car, it made 350 Wheel Horse Power and 362 FT pounds of torque at 4800rpms, and it redlines at 7200!

Here's a picture of it with me in it and the front bumper off. I think it looks really cool being able to see the intercooler and everything...

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Turbo_sho/John%20turbo%20project/?action=view&current=CIMG0612.jpg

And here is a clear one of the engine and turbo.....

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Turbo_sho/John%20turbo%20project/?action=view&current=CIMG0607.jpg

And here is one of the dyno sheet if there are any non-believers out there....

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Turbo_sho/John%20turbo%20project/?action=view&current=johndyno.jpg

Well tell me what you guys think. I love the car and the look on vette owners faces when I pull on them on the highway. I hope to meet other people on here that have turbo'd cars as well. Also feel free to hit me up anytime on my instant messengers. I'm always up for chatting or helping people with car problems.

~Johnathon~
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Welcome to the Forums Johnathon, powerful car you've got there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnathon

Welcome to the Forums Johnathon, powerful car you've got there. :)

Thanks man, it is alot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's good to get some news of stuff that's up and coming on the westward shores....you'll pick up a lot about European motoring habits, driving and buying on here.

Welcome to Boards.ie;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Didn't the Ford Taurus SHO have a Yamaha engine?

ninty9er wrote: »
    It's good to get some news of stuff that's up and coming on the westward shores....you'll pick up a lot about European motoring habits, driving and buying on here.

Welcome to Boards.ie;)

Thanks man. I'm glad to be here. One of my friends that I talk to from Ireland recomended this site because he knew how much I was into cars. And I figured I could be of some help to the people that are modding and tuning cars over there. While the cars may be differnet, you still have the same principals for pretty much everything.

Thanks for the welcome. I wasn't sure how people would respond to me joining since I'm from the US. But everyone has been really cool and I'm seeing alot of interesting topics.
    Max_Damage wrote: »
    Didn't the Ford Taurus SHO have a Yamaha engine?

Yes it did boss. The engine was originally going to be used in a rear engine rear wheel drive setup, but that fell though. So Ford had a contract to buy around 70K engines and had to stick them in somthing. So they came up with the idea to stick them in the Taurus SHO with a 5 speed manual transmission, thus creating one of the first "front wheel drive luxury sport sedans". The car stock made 220hp and 200ft pounds of torque with a 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds.

Before I turbo'd it I went to the 1/4 mile drag track to see what she could do. My best run of the night was 15.2 seconds at 95mph spinning up to 40mph. I could have done better, I just couldn't get any traction. I'm impaciently waiting to take it to the drag track now that I'm making around 400hp. I'm sure I can be in the low 13's at probably around 120-125mph in the quarter mile with some good drag radials.

The engines the SHO came with are as follows:

1989-95: 3.0 V6 on the 5 speeds and 3.2 V6 on the autos.

96-99: 3.4 liter V8, but they were alot slower than the 3.0 5 speeds due to being automatic and heavier.

~Johnathon~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi there - is your car something like this? Looks like it could be a real sleeper car!

eoin_s wrote: »
    Hi there - is your car something like this? Looks like it could be a real sleeper car!

Yes, exact same model as that. That is a 92 SHO (Because it has the chrome around the windows...) so that would make it a 5 speed. Mine is red and doesn't have the chrome, but it is a Gen 2 like the one in the picture. I also have the stock spoiler which the one in that link doesn't have.

[IMG][/img]CIMG0536.jpg

[IMG][/img]CIMG0612.jpg

[IMG][/img]CIMG0611.jpg

[IMG][/img]CIMG0582.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Welcome jonathon, Im originally from Ireland, living in the US

We have the Gen3 1996 LX, 200BHP. Would have liked an SHO (with welded cams ;) ) had I known about its existance when we got the LX.

Grand car for next to nothing and all, but I have to say I wouldn't dream of putting 400BHP to the front wheels in any FWD car nevermind a Taurus which handles like the front end is filled with anvils! Spinning wheels that much gets expensive and boring.

How much did the work cost you all-in? Combine it with RWD (Thunderbird drivetrain?) and that would be a nice sleeper.

Different price bracket when they were new, but id put the E28 M5 & Mercedes 190E Cosworth well ahead of the Gen2 in terms of first sport sedans, as well as the E30 M3, but maybe not big enough to be considered a sedan in the US. I cant think of any US counterparts, but that probably more to do with my lack of local knowledege. I'm sure theres somthing with a supercharged 3800 out there.

Got any vids? I'd be interested to hear that it sounds like

Welcome jonathon, Im originally from Ireland, living in the US

We have the Gen3 1996 LX, 200BHP. Would have liked an SHO (with welded cams ;) ) had I known about its existance when we got the LX.

Grand car for next to nothing and all, but I have to say I wouldn't dream of putting 400BHP to the front wheels in any FWD car nevermind a Taurus which handles like the front end is filled with anvils! Spinning wheels that much gets expensive and boring.

How much did the work cost you all-in? Combine it with RWD (Thunderbird drivetrain?) and that would be a nice sleeper.

Different price bracket when they were new, but id put the E28 M5 & Mercedes 190E Cosworth well ahead of the Gen2 in terms of first sport sedans, as well as the E30 M3, but maybe not big enough to be considered a sedan in the US. I cant think of any US counterparts, but that probably more to do with my lack of local knowledege. I'm sure theres somthing with a supercharged 3800 out there.

Got any vids? I'd be interested to hear that it sounds like

Yes having 400hp the car will easily brake the tires loose up to 70mph. I love being besides people on the highway I want to try and run and just smoking the tires off at 60 mph. It really is alot of fun. If I want grip, I will throw my drag radials on.

I probably have around 10K dollars including the price of the car. I just ordered forged low compression pistons and I am going to bore the engine out. With forged internals I should be able to boost to around 26psi and make around 550whp. That is where the fun really starts.

As far as a rear wheel drive setup, many have tried but no one has ever been able to make it work.

As far as the first sport sedan, I meant to say "one of the first front wheel drive sport sedans". I will edit that after I am done with this post

I do have a video of when it was on the dyno and here is is, turn up your sound! The first part is just adjusting the dyno, we actually start dynoing it when it counts down to 2 minutes. You can see how hard the whole car sets down when we let off the gas.

[IMG][/img]th_john_0001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

S-l-e-e-p-e-r ! Bring your machine over here and quieten down some of a VTEC boys !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

As far as a rear wheel drive setup, many have tried but no one has ever been able to make it work.

Here in Ireland the rally Boys can (and do) make most anything front wheel drive, rear wheel drive...:D

You'll find them here Rally Forums. For example, there are a few Ford Focus RWD Rally Cars here in Ireland, paddle shift Sequential gear boxes etc..All you need is a Hat of Money :)

Your car should be a cracker of a machine when she's finished....

Ford Focus RWD Ruan Village Co Clare

clare_08_370.jpg

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Here in Ireland the rally Boys can (and do) make most anything front wheel drive, rear wheel drive...:D

You'll find them here Rally Forums. For example, there are a few Ford Focus RWD Rally Cars here in Ireland, paddle shift Sequential gear boxes etc..All you need is a Hat of Money :)

Your car should be a cracker of a machine when she's finished....

Rwd Focus would be a bad a$$ car. I'd love to make mine rear wheel drive. But many have tried that I know of, and none have been able to pull it off. If someone actually does find a way, you can bet I will deffinatly convert it. SHO trannies arn't the best transaxles in the world and under boost they shred 3rd gear quite often...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

We call "sedans" saloons over here;)! Welcome anyway OP.

Actually pretty much every word in the automotive lexicon is different outside of the US.

You're lucky you are where you are OP in terms of what you can drive(apart your country's obsession with guns and related backward views on just about every social issue).

Over here we all drive pint sized engines with no power(a 1.4 litre Focus was until very recently the nation's favourite car); 6 cylinders are a treat for the select few, V8s are as rare as hen's teeth, we're getting speed cameras, we pay a LOT more for petrol and diesel than ye do, we have a very significant purchase tax on a lot of cars, particularly any half decent petrol and even the more potent diesel engines; not only that we also screw those who want a decent petrol powered car(and some diesels too) with up to €2k a year in motor tax, we're getting speed cameras next year, we reduced the speed limits on over 90% of the roads by 10 mph nearly 4 years ago.

On the plus side petrol is relatively cheap for Europe, we don't anything like the number of pick up trucks or SUVs ye have, we're busy building Motorways(I think ye call them highways) around the country and on Wednesday we're upgrading 300+ km of dual carriageway to Motorway which means we get to go 20 km/h faster on these roads:D. Oh and we generally tend to ignore speed limits, they are a major inconvenience to our lives anyway:D.

If you ignore the engines though, our cars are vastly superior inside in them, and have a reputation for offering a far superior driving experience too(there's a lot more to driving pleasure than how fast you get from 0-100 km/h you know:)!), so it's not all bad.

How many miles on it actually? 155K on mine...Do you plan doing any bottom-end/crank work?

How many miles on it actually? 155K on mine...Do you plan doing any bottom-end/crank work?

The car has 135K miles on her. Before I did the turbo I did the water pump, timing belt, all new seals thoughout the whole engine and new rod bearings. Everything on the SHO's has been proven to hold up to 600 whp as far as the motor goes. The only things that give out are the pistons. So I am having a set up 8.5:1 forged Wiesco pistons custom made. They should be here in about 2 months. I ordered 3.2 pistons so I am going to bore out the block from a 3.0 to a 3.2 to help boost the torque up alittle bit. I'd eventually like to get cams for it, but the ones from the factory are so good that you only will gain a small amount of power from replacing them.

Other than that the only engine work I currently have are Big Bore Butterflies, gasket matched intake and extude honed intake runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

E92 wrote: »

Actually pretty much every word in the automotive lexicon is different outside of the US.

You're lucky you are where you are OP in terms of what you can drive(apart your country's obsession with guns and related backward views on just about every social issue).

Over here we all drive pint sized engines with no power(a 1.4 litre Focus was until very recently the nation's favourite car); 6 cylinders are a treat for the select few, V8s are as rare as hen's teeth, we're getting speed cameras, we pay a LOT more for petrol and diesel than ye do, we have a very significant purchase tax on a lot of cars, particularly any half decent petrol and even the more potent diesel engines; not only that we also screw those who want a decent petrol powered car(and some diesels too) with up to €2k a year in motor tax, we're getting speed cameras next year, we reduced the speed limits on over 90% of the roads by 10 mph nearly 4 years ago.

On the plus side petrol is relatively cheap for Europe, we don't anything like the number of pick up trucks or SUVs ye have, we're busy building Motorways(I think ye call them highways) around the country and on Wednesday we're upgrading 300+ km of dual carriageway to Motorway which means we get to go 20 km/h faster on these roads:D. Oh and we generally tend to ignore speed limits, they are a major inconvenience to our lives anyway:D.

If you ignore the engines though, our cars are vastly superior inside in them, and have a reputation for offering a far superior driving experience too(there's a lot more to driving pleasure than how fast you get from 0-100 km/h you know:)!), so it's not all bad.

As strange as the original posters thread was i.e wanting to talk here about his car and not looking to whinge about fog lights, I see little reason for you to have involved regionally incorrect terminology, politics and social issues in the US. Maybe its because the post VRT changes in pricing have been set and you have little else to spout about from your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

E92, Ireland doesn't have a car manufacturing industry.

I suggest you go over there and drive across America in a brand new Lincoln Towncar. The euro things are like little toys by comparison. Since they are double the price of the Lincoln, I include all Mercs/BMWs in that too.

IMO, spending your own money, the Lincoln Towncar is the best car in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

that's a crazy car..

liking it a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

superjosh9 wrote: »

I suggest you go over there and drive across America in a brand new Lincoln Towncar. The euro things are like little toys by comparison. Since they are double the price of the Lincoln, I include all Mercs/BMWs in that too.

IMO, spending your own money, the Lincoln Towncar is the best car in the real world.
    Your post is only relevant if we were all in the US.
    Take said Lincoln over to Ireland and the situation quickly reverses.

Welcome Jonathan, good to have you on board! Savage car, what's your next one gonna be like?!? Camero's seem to be the choice of tuners over there... you reckon youll go that way next or stay on your current path of different is good?

I will try and call sedans "saloons" from now on if that is the correct term...

Any yes we do have a ton of V-8 cars over here. People just don't care about gas milege I guess. I agree being able to handle twisties well is alot of fun. But there is nothing like sheer excelleration. I really enjoy being thrown in the seat.

As far as you saying most people don't pay any attention to the speed limit, I ignor it as well. I run a police scanner so I can pick up what they are saying and a $550.00 radar detector to help insure I won't get caught.

As far as saying my country has backward views, I guess you are welcome to your own opinions and I can respect that. I don't agree with everything the country does either.
    superjosh9 wrote: »

The Towncar is a sweet ride. Same platform that they use on all the Crown Vics over here and police cars. They can sure take a beating and keep on going.
    ClioV6 wrote: »
    that's a crazy car..

liking it a lot

Thanks man. It is alot of fun. I'm seeing some sweet cars on here as well.
    Biro wrote: »
    Your post is only relevant if we were all in the US.
    Take said Lincoln over to Ireland and the situation quickly reverses.

Welcome Jonathan, good to have you on board! Savage car, what's your next one gonna be like?!? Camero's seem to be the choice of tuners over there... you reckon youll go that way next or stay on your current path of different is good?

Thanks for the compliment. It is a blast to drive around. I plan on keeping this one for awhile. I have way to much money into it to turn around now. To be honest with you Hondas are probably the most popular car to "mod" besides Mustangs. That is why I like my car so much, they are very rare. You see like 10 Mustangs a day and maybe 1 SHO a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Johnathon wrote:
    The Towncar is a sweet ride. Same platform that they use on all the Crown Vics over here and police cars.

Are they those cop cars ya see in films that bounce like trampolines when they try and negotiate a corner?:P

amacachi wrote: »
    Are they those cop cars ya see in films that bounce like trampolines when they try and negotiate a corner?:P

Um yah......But they last forever and do good burnouts!

Ah yeah, they just look hilarious in the films sometimes :)

I think every red-blooded male would love to own a big V8 at some point. Looks like we'll be going even further the other way in the coming years unfortunately.

amacachi wrote: »
    Ah yeah, they just look hilarious in the films sometimes :)

I think every red-blooded male would love to own a big V8 at some point. Looks like we'll be going even further the other way in the coming years unfortunately.

Eh, the people that own the big V-8s are just compensating for something:eek:. Turbo'd 4's and v6's are the way of the future. If I go easy on mine, I get 30mpg.

My friend that I talk to from over there tells me your petro is very expensive. I believe it is alittle over 3 times as much as what we are paying here. And everyone over here is pissed off at paying 3.45 a gallon.

Aye it pretty expenisve. Sorry if I'm taking this thread off topic, but top of my own list would be something nippy and agile, but I just love the idea of a big stupid V8:) Of course that would be a money-no-object situation which is a fair off when I've an income of 0 per week like I have now :P

Well, if anyone is looking for an odd project car over there, you can pick the cars themselves up for buttons....

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/822024452.html
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/847860024.html
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/841202833.html

Looks kinda like an Escort and a Granada got their freak on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Hi John,

nice car you got there.

Is your car differential welded at 100%?

So they both spin at same speed,

I am just wondering what happens when you go to the corner with that car, understeer and more understeer?

itarumaa wrote: »
    Hi John,

nice car you got there.

Is your car differential welded at 100%?

So they both spin at same speed,

I am just wondering what happens when you go to the corner with that car, understeer and more understeer?

No I just welded the diff pin in to reinforce it. The diff pins are know to slide out if you do a burnout. Doing a burnout can break the 2 pins that retain the main diff pin and it will slide out. When it slides out it will hit the outside of the trannsmission and blow like a 5 inch hole in the side and parts shoot everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

class project john, get it set up right next time so it dont pop LOL

but some amount of work gone in there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A beast of a car you got going their I must say.

Trade you a nice european girl for it? ;)

Advertisement