Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college courses

Options
  • 20-09-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Im in 5th right now and Im thinking that I wont get the course I want.I want to do medicine in dublin but the points are high,I have 3 ordinary subjects and I will do higher economics,biology and chemistry also higher spainsh.I thought of doing another subjects but Im confused.

Can any help or suggest anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

probably should be moved to the LC forum, a mod will probably move it soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Moved from Junior Cert to Leaving Cert. Sorry for the delay!

ayumi wrote: »
    Im in 5th right now and Im thinking that I wont get the course I want.I want to do medicine in dublin but the points are high,I have 3 ordinary subjects and I will do higher economics,biology and chemistry also higher spainsh.I thought of doing another subjects but Im confused.

Ok well with the proposed system, minimum points are 480 so with HL 4 A1s and an OL A1 you will end up with 460, meaning you wont even be considered for it, so im pretty sure you'll NEED to take another HL subject to have any hope of getting in to medicine. So realistically you'll need all As in the subjects your taking at HL, which will more than likely be difficult.

Do you think that's possible?

IGNORE! No idea what happened there

Fad wrote: »
    Ok well with the proposed system, minimum points are 480 so with HL 4 A1s and an OL A1 you will end up with 460, meaning you wont even be considered for it, so im pretty sure you'll NEED to take another HL subject to have any hope of getting in to medicine. So realistically you'll need all As in the subjects your taking at HL, which will more than likely be difficult.

Do you think that's possible?
    I thought of it and I think 4 hl subjects= 400 (4 A1s)
    and 2 ord subjects= + 120 (2 A1s)
    = 520
    I kinda think it might be,but Im not that confident with it.I got 5 Bs,4 Cs and an A in junior cert.It is possilbe if the HPAT test will be available in 2010.I thought of doing another HL subject but what should I do?
    ITll BE TOO MUCH TO STUDY,BETTER OFF GETTING 4 A1s !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Have you considered adding Science or Biomedical science as your second choice. it is a stepping stone into medecine. You could also think about studying in the UK or NI. It will be very hard to get 7 A1's in the leaving. Could you move up to higher level from one of your ordinary level subject as a C3 in higher is worth the same points as an A1 in ordinary. It's a better option than taking on another subject imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

hmm would you do an extra subject..such as ag science? just incase one subject do go wrong on the day? i am doing two extra suubjects...-_-..dunno does it worthed though...i will let you know...lol

but in my school you pick 3 subjects only,plus the cores and where would I go for an extra subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Presuming you're doing ordinary maths, English and Irish; My advice would be to do an extra subject outside of school, e.g. Business. It's a very managable course and if you work hard, an A1 will be yours. It is straightforward and will only require a few grinds. Get a book called 'Business Online' if you are going to go ahead with it. :)

I thought of it and I think 4 hl subjects= 400 (4 A1s)
    and 2 ord subjects= + 120 (2 A1s)
    = 520
    I kinda think it might be,but Im not that confident with it.I got 5 Bs,4 Cs and an A in junior cert.It is possilbe if the HPAT test will be available in 2010.I thought of doing another HL subject but what should I do?
    ITll BE TOO MUCH TO STUDY,BETTER OFF GETTING 4 A1s !! :D

Yeah i really wasn't thinking too well when i typed that :S

Em well im not too sure about that, do you actually think that you could realistically get 4 A1s?

Find somewhere that does Agricultural Economics, that id imagine is a fairly easy course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Also bear in mind 520 wont definitely get you into medicine. If you're doing the LC in 2010 you'll have an idea of what points will be required, but for now aim as high as possible.

I'd strongly suggest doing 6 HL subjects as the highest points you can get at OL is 60 for an A1.

What ordinary level subjects are you doing? Is there any way you could move one of these up to HL instead of taking on a whole other subject?

Piste wrote: »

What ordinary level subjects are you doing? Is there any way you could move one of these up to HL instead of taking on a whole other subject?

Id imagine it's English, Irish, and Maths.

Well if it's English. I'd recommend moving up, a C3 isn't hard to get, with work you'd probably do a lot better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Well if it's English. I'd recommend moving up, a C3 isn't hard to get, with work you'd probably do a lot better!

I think that post explains it........:rolleyes:

Ill try tommorw to talk to my english or maths teachers and write back abt it.also where would you go to do an extra subject?

where would you go to do an extra subject?

Probably the institute

Probably the institute
    can you name some

can you name some

Courses?
    or Institutes?

I know of 2 Institutes, The Institute of Education, on Lesson St or The Foxrock Institute in you guessed it Foxrock.Ive been to both at one stage or another and Id avoid the Foxrock one if I where you, teachers are good but not great.

Courses?
    or Institutes?

I know of 2 Institutes, The Institute of Education, on Lesson St or The Foxrock Institute in you guessed it Foxrock.Ive been to both at one stage or another and Id avoid the Foxrock one if I where you, teachers are good but not great.
    like whats the max you would get? a or b or c

like whats the max you would get? a or b or c

Well obviously enough the Max is an A, it just depends how much work youre willing to put in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ballinteer Institute too, I did Applied Maths there. Probably other places if you look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ashfield college for grinds i hear is good. But if you study hard enough and are prepared, you don't need grinds. However, aiming for 6 A1's a bit much and doesn't guarantee you'll get medecine.

I went and asked today,the teacher siad you cant.She told me that you dont need points to go in medicine?!
    I didnt understand,but she told to ask to go to the school careers teacher

Your teacher is wrong. Definitely, definitely wrong. You need points for medicine.

Are you sure she didn't mean you don't ONLY need points?

i dont know but she tould to go to m carrers teacher 7 I couldnt see her.
    do u have any solutions,the max ill get if i get As is 560.What subjects do u do?

Me? I do French, German, Biology, Chemistry and Music.

If you got 560 you might have a shot of getting into medicine.

Me? I do French, German, Biology, Chemistry and Music.

If you got 560 you might have a shot of getting into medicine.
    but u she do 6 subjects ,but its hard to get 6 As well apart from the ord subjects,chemistry the least I think is a B and bio a B so all of the subjects B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B :D

What are you saying I should do 6 subjects or you should?

What are you saying I should do 6 subjects or you should?
    You & I both,also everyone whos doing leaving cert

• Advertisement

But I wont be getting a high grade in maths, and Irish and English can be a bit dodgy, so it makes sense to have two extra subjects to count for points.

Advertisement