Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untreated wood for raised beds?

Options
  • 20-09-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I would like to grow vegetables organically in a raised bed.

Does anyone know where I could get untreated wood for the edging (for example Siberian Larch) in or around Dublin?

I also read something about recycled plastic planks which would be suitable. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 familykane

Hi Mazza,

I wnet to Chadwicks and bought plain old rough sawn planks. Not sure where you would get those in Dublin but I presume any builders merchents would be able to help. I can't imagine they will last a lifetime but it got me out of a hole!

Likewise some of the garden centers here in cork sell untreated railway sleepers but at €25 a pop plus delivery I found these a bit pricey as you end up needing loads to make up a decent size plot.

The hard part was finding decent topsoil to fill the raised bed. My plot is only 5m x 3m and it took almost three tons of topsoil!

best of luck.

Roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dec.foley

I'm on year 3 of plain rough sawn planks from builders providers and they are fine ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

dec.foley wrote: »
    I'm on year 3 of plain rough sawn planks from builders providers and they are fine ...
    Just as a mater of interest Dec, did you treat the timbers in anyway?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dec.foley

hi goat,

no i didn't treat it ..
    i reckon its good for 6 / 7 years (?) at which time a refresh of the soil is probably not a bad idea //

dec

Advertisement