Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Month Vol. 2 Nomination Thread

• 20-09-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Right so it's up to you guys this time to choose what album is worthy of our jazz and/or blues hall of fame. When there's been a suitable conclusion reached I'll open up the Vol 2 thread.

Any suggestions? :)

Album of the Month vol. 2? 5 votes

Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Time Control
    0%
    Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
    40%
    Karl HungusDesmo 2 votes
    Michael Garrick Trio - Moonscape LP
    60%
    JohnSetunRigsby 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Time Control. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Instead of opting for the more obvious contenders ("Kind of Blue" ect, not that they dont deserve them. It's just that they have been "praised to death" :D ), I'd like to nominate a lesser known but no less deserving album.

Albert Ayler - "Spiritual Unity"

Karl Hungus : Nice to see you also nominating a less obvious album/artist. I must say I'm not familiar with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Rigsby wrote: »
    Instead of opting for the more obvious contenders ("Kind of Blue" ect, not that they dont deserve them. It's just that they have been "praised to death" :D ), I'd like to nominate a lesser known but no less deserving album.

Albert Ayler - "Spiritual Unity"

Karl Hungus : Nice to see you also nominating a less obvious album/artist. I must say I'm not familiar with it. :)

That is a nice idea!! Can I make a second suggestion to go with that; it would be nice if it is easy to buy the album. I like to look at covers and stick CDs on shelves (anal of me but I am getting old and find it hard to change :-). I went out and bought the Coltrane album in Tower on the basis of the discussions. Anyway, two nice suggestions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Time Control. :)

+1. This girl's music is astounding.

Desmo wrote: »
    it would be nice if it is easy to buy the album. I like to look at covers and stick CDs on shelves (anal of me but I am getting old and find it hard to change :-).

I too, love to "physically browse and buy" :D. There's really only "Tower Records" with any half decent choice. However, I'd say 95% of jazz cd's are "easy to buy" from this site. I can recommend it as I've been buying from them for years.

www.cadencebuilding.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Poll added to represent the three suggestions so far. I agree Rigsby, Kind of Blue has been done to death. I think the three suggestions here are very interesting, and it would be a good idea to choose 'off-the-beaten-track classics' in the future. So as Desmo said, anyone who hasn't heard it and is intrigued will be able to go out and make the purchase - so in this way almost like a book club but much cooler :cool:

To the polls people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Nice idea to poll fans with not so obvious choices rather than the popularity contests you see on other boards. I have my own opinioins on jazz albums, on one hand the obvious greats whilst having my own jazz favourites which may be a bit obscure for others. I haven't heard any of these three nominated, so its off to the record store for me and shall come back later with my honest opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

same as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

and the vote is hotting up; step right up folks and cast yer ballots it loook like a 3 horse race at this stage.
    Ooooohhhhh the excitement; have to sit down here; gettin too old for this excitement :-).

• Advertisement

Desmo wrote: »
    and the vote is hotting up; step right up folks and cast yer ballots it loook like a 3 horse race at this stage.
    Ooooohhhhh the excitement; have to sit down here; gettin too old for this excitement :-).

:D:D ...... I cant bring myself to look at the chart.

Bloody hell, it's two apiece and I haven't voted yet :rolleyes: Hmmm...

The Ayler album is terrific, would make a nice discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I voted for that because I only have one Ayler album (the live in Greenwich Village one) and loved it so it will give me an excuse to buy another. Like I need an excuse...

John wrote: »
    I voted for that because I only have one Ayler album (the live in Greenwich Village one) and loved it so it will give me an excuse to buy another. Like I need an excuse...

Two more "excuses" for you to consider ;) You might like to check out "Witches and Devils" and "Spirits Rejoice". Another two great Ayler albums IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I was going to plump for the Holy Ghost box considering it's been reissued at a much lower price.

Just to let people know that Spiritual Unity is available in Tower Records on wicklow street. It's expensive for an old jazz disc at 19.99 though.

The poll closes in 40 mins! The anticipation!! :p

In the interest of fairness I've listened to the Hiromi one aswell. It's interesting, think Dave Brubeck's Time Out but with Moogs and Fender Rhodes and even more insaaaannee time sigs. Unfortunately haven't found michael garrick trio yet, will pick it up if I can.

Daddio wrote: »
    Just to let people know that Spiritual Unity is available in Tower Records on wicklow street. It's expensive for an old jazz disc at 19.99 though.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Albert-Ayler-Spiritual-Unity-New-Retail-CD_W0QQitemZ180270038809QQihZ008QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

;)

I know, tower must have imported it as it's the only single-disc album that isn't ECM for that price. They're normally very good value for jazz.

Anyway, it seems we have a tie. There's never been as much excitement on the forum and frankly in the name of democracy I don't know what to do.

/EDIT googlefight? :p

Daddio wrote: »
    I know, tower must have imported it as it's the only single-disc album that isn't ECM for that price. They're normally very good value for jazz.

Anyway, it seems we have a tie. There's never been as much excitement on the forum and frankly in the name of democracy I don't know what to do.

/EDIT googlefight? :p

What's wrong with having two "albums of the month" ? or as they say on "Top of the Pops" ..... "this week we have a joint No. 1" :D :pac:

I'll be the ultimate gent and let the "Moonscape" album go first. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

i just recently heard that ayler album, fantastic!

like to nominate willow weep for me be wes!

You'll have to wait til next month steve :p

Ok so this month we'll have a joint album of the month discussion thread - comparing and contrasting two very different albums should be interesting.

Right, will set up thread soon. :)

Advertisement