Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Aero

• 20-09-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My Dad is having problems with his new computer, he is trying to use the 3d style feature for windows in vista but it isn't working, he changed the colour to aero in personalisation but nothing has happened.....

Can anyone help? He presses tab and the windows logo key but nothing happens....

He has got 4gb ram and a Video Card ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256MB Half Height.

If anyone could give any suggestions that would be great as he just bought the computer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

shortys94 wrote: »
    Hey,

My Dad is having problems with his new computer, he is trying to use the 3d style feature for windows in vista but it isn't working, he changed the colour to aero in personalisation but nothing has happened.....

Can anyone help? He presses tab and the windows logo key but nothing happens....

He has got 4gb ram and a Video Card ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256MB Half Height.

If anyone could give any suggestions that would be great as he just bought the computer.

Thanks.

Has he got the Basic version? Your sure its the Aero version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Its Windows Vista Home Premium

He said a window popped up stating that Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed.

A Problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Tell him to do a windows update and there should be a driver update for the 2400 XT that will solve it. It'll be listed as an optional update so he'll have to tick the box to install it.

After it install he'll then get an error on reboot that the ATI Catalyst thingy isn't compatible with the driver. He can go to add/remove programs and uninstall the ATI Catalyst feature and all will be well.

Umm, how do you view optional updates?

It'll say something like "3 important updates and 1 optional updates available". Then a link that will say "Click here to view optional updates".

BTW, to get to windows update in Vista, click Start-->All Programs -->Windows update. Then click 'check for updates' top left.

• Advertisement

Is it the ATI Catalyst Control Centre I Uninstall? I found the update you were talkin about.

That update worked perfectly man, thanks, but will my Dad still need to uninstall that ATI control centre on reboot? As it seems to be working now.

Is it the ATI Catalyst Control Centre I Uninstall? I found the update you were talkin about.

That update worked perfectly man, thanks, but will my Dad still need to uninstall that ATI control centre on reboot? As it seems to be working now.

No need unless he gets an error box everytime he reboots that the Catalyst Control Centre is incompatable with the new driver. If he does, uninstall it (not the driver, just the Catalyst component) from add/remove programs.

He is getting an error box now, is it the control centre he removes?

He is getting an error box now, is it the control centre he removes?

Yes. Catalyst Control Centre.

I uninstalled the control centre, but in the last few days the positioning of the display has been off and I had to reset all the screen settings on the monitor every time this happened, does this have anything to do wiht the control centre?

Also Im having trouble with boards.ie, every time I use the website my broswer freezes, fine with every other website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement