Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim-How does it work?

Options
  • 20-09-2008 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

OK-act of 100% stupidity on my behalf. It's true, my family are reminding me every 10 minutes.

Decided to go for a spin this morning. Put bars on roof, attached bike. Brought son to training intending to park there and go on from there. Went to car park forgetting about the bar across entrance to car park to stop caravans entering-it also works with roof attached bikes!!

The car and roof bar damage I have sorted and the bike is in the LBS needing 2 new front levers (€300-ouch). The guy in the shop, and I have faith in him, can't see any other damage but reckons as the forks are carbon (Specialized Roubaix) he wouldn't necessarily see it with the naked eye anyway.

Point is this. I have bike insured on house policy but policy also includes damage away from home. Their offices are closed till Monday and I am in England overnight tomorrow so by the time I contact them the work will be done by LBS. I am satisfied that the levers and handlebards took the impact but anybody any ideas whether the forks are likely to be damaged? If so how do insurance companies assess this damage? The excess this way is only €100. All help appreicated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Phone the insurance company and see is the only way... was in a similar(ish) situation a couple weeks back and everyone I spoke too had a different idea of what was needed... sorry I can't be of more help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Thanks Tiny, have already rung LBS and halted work pending what the insurance people say.

Funny, as well as the insurance offices and everybody else being closed it then dawned on me that the likes of yourself and anybody else likely to be able to help were probably out enjoying Wicklow on their bikes-as I had intended to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Thanks Tiny, have already rung LBS and halted work pending what the insurance people say.

Funny, as well as the insurance offices and everybody else being closed it then dawned on me that the likes of yourself and anybody else likely to be able to help were probably out enjoying Wicklow on their bikes-as I had intended to do!!

I would have been out, but a late night Thursday and last night meant that I was dead to the world till about 11.30 this am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You're better off holding off on getting the work done on the bike. The insurance company might want to send an assesor to look at the damage (Prob not though), I can't see them send an assesor for €300 damage. I know for house insurance claims if it's work that has to be done urgently you should keep anything that you got fixed to show the assesor and take photos also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I would have been out, but a late night Thursday and last night meant that I was dead to the world till about 11.30 this am!

Wish I had done the same. If I had got hammered last night I might not have needed a new rear fly window and have warped roof bars now!!
    And they say drink is bad for you!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement