Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Golf - Signature Issues

Options
  • 20-09-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I've been banned from Golf because my signature is considered to be "Personal Abuse".

I did amend my signature to include a qualifying statement and a source to the original author of the quote.

But the mod has banned me for seven days.

Is this just?

Slumped

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I should also add that the Mod concerned has been inconsistent.

Previous "abuse" cases include:

menoscemo
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055362888&page=11

Only an infraction

rarnes1
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055362888&page=10

No action taken

I get a seven day ban AFTER I amended my signature to one that is not even connected to golf!

I am a regular contributor to Golf and rarely find myself in this position (arguing a point with a fellow mod).

S

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Who does the sig refer to?

Gordon wrote: »
    Who does the sig refer to?

Nick Fury, from the Mighty Avengers Comic Book.

The full quote is:

"Heh. Nick is a dick. I never quite realized how much of one he was. I still like him, but I mean, come on! How do you make your team work well and love you? Well, insert a device into them that can't be copied or interfered with (so he knows it's them), kick their ass to prove that powers don't make the man, and finally kidnap and torture them under another guise to make sure they won't talk to enemies. Oh, I didn't realize Nick Fury was a dick no matter what universe he's in. I still think he is awesome, but man! Oh, and seeing the Commandos in action is pretty cool. Oh, and it was all a test. Maria isn't a Skrull (as far as Nick knows). Ha! You went through all that effort because I wanted to test you! Geez!"

from a blogger who reviews Comics - http://comicvswhatever.blogspot.com/

My original sig was changed to what it is now to show where the quote comes from. I post across a wide number of forums, not just golf.

Slumped

I think the thing that the moderator/s have isse with is the fact that they believe that your sig refers to Nick Faldo. Because it did refer to Nick Faldo not long ago. So why is it now referring to a different Nick?

I think the thing that the moderator/s have isse with is the fact that they believe that your sig refers to Nick Faldo. Because it did refer to Nick Faldo not long ago. So why is it now referring to a different Nick?

It refers to a different person now because I was asked not to refer to Faldo.

My quote is non offensive and is attributed correctly to a source - so there can be no confusion.

As I said before, regular poster. I've never been banned before from any forum.

And I refer to other "abuse" that has gone relatively unpunished!

• Advertisement

You originally had a sig that referred to Nick Faldo and then because you were warned and banned in Golf for having a sig that hurled abuse at Nick Faldo you are now referring to someone else called Nick. It seems as if you just picked someone called Nick so that you could have the sig. There is no mention of Nick fury in the sig.

I think the ban is just with regards to the information you have provided.

Regarding the other issues, I had a quick look and you haven't linked the posts correctly so I didn't see them, however, this is a seperate issue.

your call.

you're wrong, but I respect it.

S

Can you explain why I am wrong?

Can you explain why I am wrong?

I don't think the ban is just - you do. That's where we differ.

As I said I respect your decision and it is final.

My signature has been amended. It does not refer to a golfer. The link is present for those who want to trace it.

I did what was asked of me - and still get a seven day ban.

People have hurled abuse in the forum over the past three days and as far as I can see, I am the only one to get a ban.

Others were infracted or nothing done at all.

This is why I feel a seven day ban is not just.

The mod has indicated that he won't lift the ban as long as my signature is what it is.

Now that is really unjust!!

The problem is that the underlying meaning of your signature is believed to be referring to Nick Faldo. And I personally believe that you have made that sig to refer to Nick Faldo, not Nick Fury. Prove me wrong, please.

• Advertisement

The problem is that the underlying meaning of your signature is believed to be referring to Nick Faldo. And I personally believe that you have made that sig to refer to Nick Faldo, not Nick Fury. Prove me wrong, please.

Click on the link in my signature!

If I include the line " this quote does not refer in any way to Nick Faldo " in my signature, would that be acceptable??

S

How does clicking the link reveal the underlying reasons? It only reveals the surface text meaning, not the sub-text.

How does clicking the link reveal the underlying reasons? It only reveals the surface text meaning, not the sub-text.

It gives context.

If I include the line " this quote does not refer in any way to Nick Faldo " in my signature, would that be acceptable??

S

If the mod that banned you holds the same opinion as I do then you won't be let in by adding that sentence. But you should confirm that with the mod in question.

I think you should let it go and find a different sig completely and by the time you are let back into Golf then all will be well. :)

Advertisement