Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing

Options
  • 20-09-2008 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, im new to boards so just gettin used to it!
    well im in 6th year at the moment and am really thinking about doing computing in DIT,i have a genuine interest in computers and just wondering if anyone here is doing or has done computing?any advice etc etc
    i was also thinking about computer science but i really am not sure
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ooPabsoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    Hey everyone, im new to boards so just gettin used to it!
    well im in 6th year at the moment and am really thinking about doing computing in DIT,i have a genuine interest in computers and just wondering if anyone here is doing or has done computing?any advice etc etc
    i was also thinking about computer science but i really am not sure
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ooPabsoo

I can't confidently give advice on computing vs. computer science as I've only ever done computer science, but the fundamental difference between the two is that computer science deals with programming, analysis and problem solving aspects... much like any other science, whereas computing deals with networking solutions and such. If you're competent with maths then science will be a walk in the park for you, otherwise computing will be right down your alley.

If I'm right, both courses have similar fourth year options anyway (music, games programming, etc.) which are most likely to be what guide you in your career!

Just quickly looking at the website, there still seems to be a lack of courses dealing with the hardware itself. How components are made up, and how to actually build a PC. That annoyed me beforehand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

ye i know what you mean, im more into hardware than software which is probably the main reason i would pick computing over computer science, id love to know the insides and outs of how to build your own pc, i know the basics but not really enough to give it a try, is there many jobs out there if i do computing over comp science? intel is just up the road from where i live and would love a job there after i finish a degree so would computing be sufficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Compushed

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    id love to know the insides and outs of how to build your own pc, i know the basics but not really enough to give it a try, is there many jobs out there if i do computing over comp science? intel is just up the road from where i live and would love a job there after i finish a degree so would computing be sufficient?

To be honest you don't need a degree to learn how to build a computer.

In fact neither degree will really teach you. They'll both cover the basics of Von Neumann architecture but that's a theoretical approach. A FAS course would be more appropriate, or just read up on the net.

Both the Computer Science and Computing degrees would useful for an Intel job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

the fundamental difference between the two is that computer science deals with programming, analysis and problem solving aspects... much like any other science, whereas computing deals with networking solutions and such. If you're competent with maths then science will be a walk in the park for you, otherwise computing will be right down your alley.

Sorry projectmayhem, but this is bull**** advice tbh.
    Sure, Computing has more Networking than introduction to networks in 228, but to assert that Computing is not
    a Computer Science course is just plain stupid. Maybe you are confusing DT211 with Business Computing?

I have read both course documents inside out, and they are similar in more ways then not.
    Look at the core subjects in both for all years and you will see a lot
    of overlap in subjects like analysis, programming, databases ect.

To the op, I would recommend the course if you are willing to learn programming and the like.
    just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. You don't want to leave the course without anything to show for it.

Best of luck by the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Naikon wrote: »
    Sorry projectmayhem, but this is bull**** advice tbh.

Did you miss this bit...?
    I can't confidently give advice on computing vs. computer science as I've only ever done computer science

I never asserted that Computing isn't a science, I just said that Comp. Sci. is more scientific then Computing... and I even concluded the overlap in the fourth year choices, which are the main deciders in your career path for the most part anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i think computer science sounds very boring or something. doesnt sound very attracting at all! computing sounds alot more interesting and the small class may help me concentrate more,hmmmmmmmmm there's a computing course in NCI also but i dunno.i still havent talked to anybody who has done computing yet!

Advertisement