Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Fault?

Options
  • 20-09-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭

Hey All,
    Just a quick piece of advise needed. Iev noticed since Thursday that when Im driving along, ill push the accelerator, the revs go up (a lot quicker then usual) without actually speeding up, then they seem to hold as the engine catches up and drives along fine. It can happen in any gear at any speed. For example, driving along in traffic, into 2nd gear, the revs start going up (as if my foot is on the clutch) from around 2k - 4k revs, then it holds as the engine catches up. It also happens in 5th gear along the motorway. Doing 100KMH, press the accelerator and the exact same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

antodeco wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Just a quick piece of advise needed. Iev noticed since Thursday that when Im driving along, ill push the accelerator, the revs go up (a lot quicker then usual) without actually speeding up, then they seem to hold as the engine catches up and drives along fine. It can happen in any gear at any speed. For example, driving along in traffic, into 2nd gear, the revs start going up (as if my foot is on the clutch) from around 2k - 4k revs, then it holds as the engine catches up. It also happens in 5th gear along the motorway. Doing 100KMH, press the accelerator and the exact same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like your clutch is slipping...needs to be changed ASAP.

Could be a case of being stopped at lights and it will give up altogether and you're stuck there!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thought that happened yesterday, but just ran out of petrol!
    Its an 06 Almera. 60k Kms. Always been serviced correctly.
    Costly? Would an indy or main mechanic be the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

****in ell! Whos coastin the clutch! 60K Kms is pretty ****. My primeras 95 190K MILES! And original clutch etc and its only starting to slip in the last few months, i don't have the heart to change the clutch just yet!

Indy would be your best bet I'd guess at 3 - 6hundred euros.

****in ell! Whos coastin the clutch! 60K Kms is pretty ****. My primeras 95 190K MILES! And original clutch etc and its only starting to slip in the last few months, i don't have the heart to change the clutch just yet!

Indy would be your best bet I'd guess at 3 - 6hundred euros.

Ah balls x 100!

Its not happening in 1st gear. It doesnt always happen on the other gears, but when it does, its always at the same rev point. No issues with finding gears, no burning clutch smell, clutch doesnt feel different. Argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnathon

That would deffinatly be your clutch slipping boss. I'm surprised you can't smell the disks burning.

The only thing that puzzles me is that you are saying it isn't doing it in first. In theory if it is your clutch slipping, it should slip in any gear if you get on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It slipping when the torque increases.

Heres a tip, when it starts to slip, let off the boot and slowly, yes i'll say it again, slowly re-apply it.

It also helps to be in a gear lower than you need to be, revs high = lower torque so less likely to slip

slideways wrote: »
    It slipping when the torque increases.

Heres a tip, when it starts to slip, let off the boot and slowly, yes i'll say it again, slowly re-apply it.

It also helps to be in a gear lower than you need to be, revs high = lower torque so less likely to slip

Thanks for that. Thats exactly what Ive been doing, and it seems ok that way. Guess clutch replacement is the way to go. Argh, really dont have the money. Thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

"A main mechanic", WTF is that!?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Darragh29 wrote: »
    "A main mechanic", WTF is that!?!?!?!

Obviously he means a franchised dealer, rather than an indy.

antodeco - not only can it just pack up in traffic, but if you leave it too long it can damage the flywheel. That's what happened to me, and it doubled my repair bill.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Obviously he means a franchised dealer, rather than an indy.

antodeco - not only can it just pack up in traffic, but if you leave it too long it can damage the flywheel. That's what happened to me, and it doubled my repair bill.

Some cars now have to have the flywheel replaced anyway, VW Passat's, Ford Mondeo, they have dual mass flywheels which basically fall apart. Get it done asap and don't worry about going to a decent indy garage, a main dealer will charge you a lot to do this job... Shop around for a price, make sure you are getting a full 3 piece OEM replacement clutch kit, ask what brand is being fitted. Above all else, are you getting a guarantee in writing???

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Im going to try book it in tommorow or Tuesday, as Il be driving round the country by the end of the week. Any ideas on what price I will be looking at?

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Im going to try book it in tommorow or Tuesday, as Il be driving round the country by the end of the week. Any ideas on what price I will be looking at?

what type of car is it?

It's a 2006 Almera. Only 62k kms/38k miles on it and been fully serviced as per recommendation, which is more annoying! Only paid a grand a few months ago getting all the pads/shoes and discs replaced too!

Pads are ok, but no way should the discs need replacing this soon.

As for the clutch, as has been already said, unless you are towing a few bullocks in a trailer every day the clutch should be nowhere near gone yet

It's a 2006 Almera. Only 62k kms/38k miles on it and been fully serviced as per recommendation, which is more annoying! Only paid a grand a few months ago getting all the pads/shoes and discs replaced too!

Well it's a straightforward clutch replacement job. Is someone learning to drive in this car or something like that??? It sounds a bit premature for a clutch replacement...

Thats been my thinking, but based on whats happening, it does seem like it is. Its only happening from 2nd up, and not reverse. The car hasnt been right since the last service.
    The reason why the discs were replaced were due to worn pads. Had to drive around the country for a few days when it happened, so the discs apparantly became worse. Being honest I think the garage pulled a fast one at the time. They even said my clutch was nearly worn (15k ago) and I laughed at them. I dont want to pay for something I dont need. Argh, I dont know!

Thats been my thinking, but based on whats happening, it does seem like it is. Its only happening from 2nd up, and not reverse. The car hasnt been right since the last service.
    The reason why the discs were replaced were due to worn pads. Had to drive around the country for a few days when it happened, so the discs apparantly became worse. Being honest I think the garage pulled a fast one at the time. They even said my clutch was nearly worn (15k ago) and I laughed at them. I dont want to pay for something I dont need. Argh, I dont know!

Well it sounds like your clutch is defo gone, just from what I've read here.

True, but they said about the clutch when I brought it back after a burning smell developed the day after I had it serviced with them!

When ever I do a clutch job, I always replace the Flywheel (or have it resurfaced). Also, make sure they are going to replace the Throw out bearing. May as well do that while you have it out. You are also going to want them to replace the rear main seal while you have everything apart. You don't want to get it all together and then have an oil leak from your rear main....

Replacing the crank seal would really be overkill.

Unless it was leaking or starting to look damp I wouldnt bother.

• Advertisement

slideways wrote: »
    Replacing the crank seal would really be overkill.

Unless it was leaking or starting to look damp I wouldnt bother.

The seal I'm saying to replace would be the rear main. Its like a 30 dollar seal, and you are going to have it exposed when the trannsmission is dropped. I really highly recomend that he does that. I have done a couple clutch jobs, and on the first one I didn't replace it. Withing a 1000 miles the clutch started chattering because of a small amount of oil leaking onto the presure plate from the rear main. Its all up to him to replace it or not, but for 30 bucks, I think if you don't you are making a bad choice..........
    ~Johnathon~

Johnathon wrote: »
    The seal I'm saying to replace would be the rear main. Its like a 30 dollar seal, and you are going to have it exposed when the trannsmission is dropped. I really highly recomend that he does that. I have done a couple clutch jobs, and on the first one I didn't replace it. Withing a 1000 miles the clutch started chattering because of a small amount of oil leaking onto the presure plate from the rear main. Its all up to him to replace it or not, but for 30 bucks, I think if you don't you are making a bad choice..........
    ~Johnathon~
    Well I have doen hundreds of clutches and would be of the opinion to always replace the release bearing and normally the spigot bearing but if you start getting into that attutude why not do the spigot shaft seal in the gearbox too

Woah, sounds like a lot of things needed to be done all of a sudden? :o

Would it be standard to replace these when the clutch is being done?

Release bearing normally would be got with the pressure plate and the clutch disc.

Some cars dont even have a spigot(or pilot) bearing and you only need change it if is rough or play is present.

As for the seals.. my opinion has already been shared on that one

OK grand, thanks for all the responses. Does anyone know a good place I can get this done? (South/West Dublin preferably) and what the cost should be?

Thanks all again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Try taking off in top gear and you'll definitely know then if it slipping.

Try taking off in top gear and you'll definitely know then if it slipping.

Explain that one a bit to me :o

Thats a way of checking if the clutch is slipping, put it in top, rev it and let out the clutch.

Another, imo, better way is to find a hill and try and drive up it in 2 high a gear, this will normally test the clutch.

I think from what you have said that your clutch is knackered.

Ive gone up hills in 2nd gear no problem over the weekend on it. Its really odd.
    Are you saying to put it in 5th gear and see what happens? What should I expect?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

if you try to take off in 5th the clutch should start slipping. The car revving and then dying down as the clutch gets grip. Basically its all about the feel of it. What it does is it puts an overload on the clutch so therefore reaches the limit in a controlled way. Doing it up a hill is another way of applying an overload and therefore finding the same. If you do these you will know for sure if the clutch is slipping.

Advertisement