Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Fault?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

If you normally go up a hill in 3rd try it in 4th, then if its not slipping half way up dip the clutch for a second and bury the shoe. If it doesnt slip then it is probably fine.

But from what you have stated already it sounds like it is the clutch alright

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

if you try to take off in 5th the clutch should start slipping. The car revving and then dying down as the clutch gets grip. Basically its all about the feel of it. What it does is it puts an overload on the clutch so therefore reaches the limit in a controlled way. Doing it up a hill is another way of applying an overload and therefore finding the same. If you do these you will know for sure if the clutch is slipping.

Great I shall try that. Let me just get my own words to explain, to make sure I have it right.

Start the engine > Put it in 5th. Start pressing the accelerator and lift the clutch (as normal take off). Should I be expecting the car to start driving or anything or what should I expect?

Sorry for all teh questions, but I just want to make sure Im not expecting the wrong thing to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Having the same problem myself and finally have the money to get it fixed.

Have a 2002 Ford Focus (1.4l). Can anyone recommend a good independent garage to call for a quote?

Cheers
    John

John_Mc wrote: »

Have a 2002 Ford Focus (1.4l). Can anyone recommend a good independent garage to call for a quote?

Cheers
    John

Hi John, whereabouts are you looking for one? If we both go to the same garage, we can try get a deal :D

LOL :D

Looking for South Dublin, preferably near Stillorgan/Sandyford/Dun Laoghaire but will travel if the price is right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have to say, that sounds like a lot of work needed for a car that's only done 60K kms.

John_Mc wrote:
    LOL

Looking for South Dublin, preferably near Stillorgan/Sandyford/Dun Laoghaire but will travel if the price is right!

Ill travel anywhere. South and South West Dublin suit me perfectly!
    eoin_s wrote: »
    I have to say, that sounds like a lot of work needed for a car that's only done 60K kms.

I know. It hasnt been right since the last service. Hence why I wanted to make sure that it is the clutch I should be worrying about!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This link was posted on another forum when I asked about possible gearbox problems:
    http://www.euroclutch.ie/

It turned out I didn't have any problems to worry about, so I didn't use them at all, so I don't know what they are actually like - but may be worth calling them.

eoin_s wrote: »
    This link was posted on another forum when I asked about possible gearbox problems:
    http://www.euroclutch.ie/

It turned out I didn't have any problems to worry about, so I didn't use them at all, so I don't know what they are actually like - but may be worth calling them.

Thanks for that. Just banged off a mail to them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Cheers
    John

This happened me as well in a 2000 Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia. It was happening for a while, and finaly went on Friday evening. Apparently the hydraulics were leaking onto the clutch which was causing it to slip. It's gonna cost me €540 to get it fixed. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Baldie wrote: »
    This happened me as well in a 2000 Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia. It was happening for a while, and finaly went on Friday evening. Apparently the hydraulics were leaking onto the clutch which was causing it to slip. It's gonna cost me €540 to get it fixed. :mad::mad::mad:

Where you get quoted for the €540 and is it a clutch replacement?

Tis better than the 650 quoted to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Where you get quoted for the €540 and is it a clutch replacement?

Tis better than the 650 quoted to me!

The price was quoted in Limerick. He said the clutch was fine and that the hydraulics need to be replaced.

Right just tried moving off in 5th. Had to keep the power down while releasing the clutch, but was definitley moving. What should I have been expecting?
    EDIT: Think Il go find a steep hill to drive up in 2nd gear and see does it cut out!

Sorry for the double post, but does coasting along in 1st gear (letting the engine drive in slow moving traffic) cause increased wear on your clutch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

antodeco wrote: »
    Right just tried moving off in 5th. Had to keep the power down while releasing the clutch, but was definitley moving. What should I have been expecting?
    EDIT: Think Il go find a steep hill to drive up in 2nd gear and see does it cut out!
    You will def fcuk your clutch driving off in 5th.

Find a steep hill, go at it in a gear too high.

Clutch it for a second without letting the rev off, let out the clutch, if it stays revving without a speed increase your clutch is on the way out.. if the revs drop back straight away, its not the problem

As for the coasting along in 1st, will have very little impact on your clutch.

Where do you leave your left foot when your driving? On the floor or hovering over the clutch pedal?

slideways wrote: »
    You will def fcuk your clutch driving off in 5th.

Find a steep hill, go at it in a gear too high.

Clutch it for a second without letting the rev off, let out the clutch, if it stays revving without a speed increase your clutch is on the way out.. if the revs drop back straight away, its not the problem

As for the coasting along in 1st, will have very little impact on your clutch.

Where do you leave your left foot when your driving? On the floor or hovering over the clutch pedal?

Hovering over the pedal! Its a bad habit i have!

I tried going up a hill in 2nd and 3rd (tried twice) and when putting the foot down, the revs were going back up aswelll (once the bite had been gotten).

I was also told to try going from 1st at high revs straight into 5th and see what happens. I tried that, and the power dropped back, but it didnt stall. When I put my foot down the revs werent shooting up.

Thanks for all the help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Forget about doing any more tests. Your clutch is finished. Driving the car much further can only increase your repair bill as has already been stated. You can damage the flywheel.

You already told us that you had to replace brake disks and drums due to driving with worn pads. Don't make the same mistake with your clutch. And lose the habit of driving with your foot on the clutch pedal!

Update: Got a quote for €470 from active transmissions in rathcoole, which was pretty much on a par from the friend of mine who runs a dealership. Dropping it in tommorow morning, so will report back how I got on!

Thanks everyone for all the help on the matter :)

Advertisement