Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norse and Greek Mythology, Recommend Me Something

Options
  • 20-09-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

Was going to post in the Mythology forum but it's pretty much obsolete from what I can see. Well I've always had an interest in this growing up and have stumbled across plenty of it lately in various places. So I'd like to get into it a bit more.

Can anyone suggest some good titles to get engrossed in? Fictional or factual doesn't bother me at all. Actually even some books with old Irish Celtic tales would be cool to refresh my mind from primary school.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For the Norse stuff I highly recommend Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland and The Poetic Edda by Edda Saemundar and Lee M. Hollander, both available from Amazon etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Maybe a little bit too "out there", but Dan Simmon's wrote a sci-fi duology - "Ilum"/"Olympos" - which deals with the ancient Greek gods in a science fiction setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Homer's Iliad, translated by E.V. Rieu. I still have my copy from 3rd year Classics and have re-read it 2 or 3 times. It's a lot more accessible than you might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Recent fiction based on myths etc: troy trilogy by gemmel. Hammer and cross books by harrison. Both good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭coillcam

Dyflin wrote: »
    For the Norse stuff I highly recommend Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland and The Poetic Edda by Edda Saemundar and Lee M. Hollander, both available from Amazon etc.

Went to the local book shop and another 2, they had neither :( or even Iliad(But they said we are meant to always have copies :rolleyes:). Two weeks to wait to order them as easons didn't have them. Genghis Khan for the next while so and amazon better accept my laser card this time.

Note that if you ever want books in mullingar, you'll only get children's nursery rhymes or maths tables books.

Thanks anyway guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement