Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pine Marten

• 20-09-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi All
    Found a dead Pine Marten by the side of the road this morning near Roscrea. Was just wondering if anyone knew of anybody who might be interested in it for research purposes. Tried a few of the universities but couldnt get through to anyone. Also tried a taxidermist; not to get it stuffed but just to see if he wanted it, but apparently it would be illegal for him to accept as it would be seen as trading in a protected species.
    I will keep it in the deep freeze for a couple of days or until i get in trouble. It is in good condition.
    Such a beautiful animal and much larger than i thought.
    Appreciate any advice.
    Cheers
    Bing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Contact the National Parks and Wildlife Service. They may know of some agency or research body who would like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭rosiec

contact jacinta mullins in WIT, she does DNA on pine martens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Contact Aine Lynch, she a Ranger in Tipperary and one of Irelands top Pine Marten experts. She did a PHD on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Thanks for the contacts guys.
    A Phd student friend of Aine's collected it today so at least it has gone to some use.
    Thanks again.
    Bing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Pity it couldn't be stuffed for a pub or something. There are so many people out there who dont even know that Pine Martens exist. Are ther many around Roscrea? Which side of town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Taxidermy is quite expensive and i doubt many pubs would stiff up the fee to get it mounted. It would be nice but at least this way we may bet to learn a little more about these secretive animals.
    Carcass was found halfway between Roscrea and Templemore but they are doing quite well in the Slieve Blooms so with a bit of luck you might spot one up around there.:)

Dont want to get padanic here . Expensive? What about €250? The scintific info could be exacted from the carcass anyway. Taxidermy only requires the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

An old cottage I lived in which had lain empty for years was part of a pine marten's territory and I had the great privilege of sharing its life for two years. It used to come down the chimney to steal fruit, and then I left food out on the doorstep every night.

All through her pregnancy and lactation she came, in the hardest months of the winter, and then in late summer the young ones would run in and out of the door.

They are fascinating and beautiful creatures. It is a time I will never forget.

Was that in Clare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

sorella wrote: »
    An old cottage I lived in which had lain empty for years was part of a pine marten's territory and I had the great privilege of sharing its life for two years. It used to come down the chimney to steal fruit, and then I left food out on the doorstep every night.

All through her pregnancy and lactation she came, in the hardest months of the winter, and then in late summer the young ones would run in and out of the door.

They are fascinating and beautiful creatures. It is a time I will never forget.

amazing. very lucky.

• Advertisement

I know.

it was much further North and inland than Clare. In a forested and isolated area

They are like badgers in that while they mate in August, implantation is delayed, so they are pregnant in the worst of the winter.

I never tried to hand tame her; would not do that to any wild one, so used just to leave the food out late at night.

Her "run" when the cottage was empty all those years, was down the chimney then out through a hole she had made in the door.

A few times, when it was frosty and he time was near, she would come to the bedroom window, well away from her usual run, and scratch at it, on her hind legs.. There was always food out so maybe just friendship. Huge belly then
    When I had been ill once, and thought the time she needed feeding was past, she came out in daylight; haggard and big eyed; she must have had a large litter to feed.
    So I fetched bread and apples and put them on the low wall a few feet away, then went inside to give her privacy.

When I peeped out, she was waiting on the wall,, bread in mouth, as if to thank. Then the magpies tried to dive bomb her so I chased them off while she went back to her babies.

The nearest house was a mile away so it was quiet for her.

amazing. very lucky.

Ah! That would be Leitrim so.

:confused:

Advertisement